at my wits end with windshield wipers - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By dhutton
  • 2 Post By fsc66
  • 1 Post By Vega
  • 2 Post By scblucam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage
at my wits end with windshield wipers

ok, so i failed State inspection due to wiper arms not parking at bottom of windshield. have been reading and studying to try to self diagnose. here's where i am; replaced wiper motor, replaced wiper switch, traced, checked and confirmed all wiring is correct. still having same issue. wiper arms stop at top of windshield now when i turn switch off. used to be in the middle with old wiper motor. i have full function of low & hi speed. like i said, I've been doing a lot of reading and i figured the motor wasn't getting a good ground contact from the mounting bolt. i actually made a ground wire going from the firewall to the bottom left mounting bolt where the motor has the ground strap. no difference with ground wire on or off. i realize that the switch creates its ground from the dash panel itself. i have the switch in as tight as it's going to get making solid contact. I'm mechanically inclined and have assembled entire cars but i will be the first to admit that i have a weakness when it comes to electrical systems. my abilities end after installation. i can handle wiring and installing parts and fixing the mechanics of it all but when it comes to troubleshooting, diagnosing and breaking down basic electrical theory, I'm out. i'd hate to have to pay someone to figure out whats going on with my wipers. any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 05:10 AM
Team Member
Don

Re: at my wits end with windshield wipers

Is the arm on the wiper motor clocked wrong? It should point to the drivers side when parked. Bad things happen when it is pointing to the passenger side. DAMHIKT....

Don
yellow69RS likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

Last edited by dhutton; Sep 12th, 18 at 06:10 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

I'll have to pull it off......again... originally i had the tab that mounts to the stud on the motor 180* out and the wipers wanted to clean my new cowl and hood paint. had to remedy that quick by flipping the tab around. so now when i take the motor off should i manually put the wipers in the park position and then install the motor to the linkage? how do i know the motor arm is in the right spot and wont send the wipers to guam?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 05:46 AM
Tech Team
Paul

Disconnect wiper arms. Turn motor on and then shut off with wiper switch. Now re-connect wipers arms in the parked position. Let the motor show you where the parked position is rather than guessing or trying various positions.

Paul
68zz502fi and Mike_S like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 06:05 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhodgdon400 View Post
I'll have to pull it off......again... originally i had the tab that mounts to the stud on the motor 180* out and the wipers wanted to clean my new cowl and hood paint. had to remedy that quick by flipping the tab around. so now when i take the motor off should i manually put the wipers in the park position and then install the motor to the linkage? how do i know the motor arm is in the right spot and wont send the wipers to guam?
Remove the wiper blades and arms. Put the motor in the Park position. Install the motor arm so that it is pointing to the driver side. Cycle and park the motor. Reinstall the blades and arms.

Don

1959 El Camino project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 06:07 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsc66 View Post
Disconnect wiper arms. Turn motor on and then shut off with wiper switch. Now re-connect wipers arms in the parked position. Let the motor show you where the parked position is rather than guessing or trying various positions.

Paul
What you are saying will not correct a wiper motor arm that is installed 180 degrees off if I am following you correctly.

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 06:20 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Remove the wiper blades and arms. Put the motor in the Park position. Install the motor arm so that it is pointing to the driver side. Cycle and park the motor. Reinstall the blades and arms.

Don
X2

Check the wiper motor for correct orientation and operation before installing the wiper blades.

I put about a 3" piece of blue tape on the wiper stud and cycle it a few times to make sure before attaching the arms.
bhodgdon400 likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
What you are saying will not correct a wiper motor arm that is installed 180 degrees off if I am following you correctly.

Don
already remedied the 180* out problem. now the wipers are wiping the windshield just not parking in the right location. first time around i put the metal arm that bolts directly to the back of the motor post 180* off and it had the wipers trying to wipe the hood. good thing i was smart enough to test run them with some duct tape in place of the arms to see where they were going. this could have been a whole different post otherwise....lol...fresh paint
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
X2

Check the wiper motor for correct orientation and operation before installing the wiper blades.

I put about a 3" piece of blue tape on the wiper stud and cycle it a few times to make sure before attaching the arms.
did that the first time around. thats how i discovered the tab from the stud was 180* off. going to play with it when i get home and pull arms, cycle motor and turn it off, remove the motor, manually move the linkage to the bottom of the windshield, re-install the motor with the arms at the bottom of windshield and cross my finders, say three hail mary's, do a rain dance and pray for success. i've been fighting this battle since May, got sidetracked in between by some body damage and a new paint job. now i feel like i'm back to square one just trying to get the car tagged so i can drive it..........legally....
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 01:48 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhodgdon400 View Post
already remedied the 180* out problem. now the wipers are wiping the windshield just not parking in the right location. first time around i put the metal arm that bolts directly to the back of the motor post 180* off and it had the wipers trying to wipe the hood. good thing i was smart enough to test run them with some duct tape in place of the arms to see where they were going. this could have been a whole different post otherwise....lol...fresh paint
What is the orientation of the arm attached to the motor? If it is not pointed to the drivers side when the motor is parked you are wasting your time in my experience....

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 18, 08:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

IIRC there are two nuts that hold the linkage arm onto the ball stud. There is a little adjustment there that might get you lower on the windshield assuming everything else is in it's proper place and shape

Jeff
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 18, 10:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Quote:
do a rain dance
Dude, you neighbors to the south are NOT going to be happy with that.
bhodgdon400 and RDW like this.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 18, 05:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
IIRC there are two nuts that hold the linkage arm onto the ball stud. There is a little adjustment there that might get you lower on the windshield assuming everything else is in it's proper place and shape

Jeff

The arm that comes off the motor may not be original or to correct length. Mine was shortened by the original owner so he could flip motor over to clear tall valve covers. This definitely affected the range of motion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode