Autometer Electric Speedo with Tremec T-56 Mag - issues with sender - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 18, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg
 
pittpens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,811
Garage
Autometer Electric Speedo with Tremec T-56 Mag - issues with sender

Speedo would not work so naturally I called Autometer. They said I should have atleast 2 volts measured with an Ohm meter on DC that will gradually increase as the rear tire is spun faster(by hand). My original sender was dead - did nothing. Bought a new one and that one worked as I would told it would with more volts as the tire spun faster. Hooked everything up and went to program my speedo and nothing. Called Autometer and they said to send the gauge back and they would fix it. Upon taking the dash apart, I figured I would double check the voltage at the back of the gauge - nothing. Figured it was the wire so I checked again at the sender and nothing - it is dead. Thoughts??? I am stumped

Wired as such from Autometer tech:
Yellow wire to chassis ground
Purple wire to Speedo input

No ecu so only need a 2 wire.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
pittpens24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg
 
pittpens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,811
Garage
Re: Autometer Electric Speedo with Tremec T-56 Mag - issues with sende

Finally figured it out. The 2nd sender had a weak pin connector, I had nothing because the wire lost contact. I bought a 3rd from Ford for good measure just in case. Turns out there is a simple way to test these as per Bob Hanlon at Hanlon Motorsports. Put your OHM meter on the lowest setting on dc volts with +/- on the pin connectors and run a screwdriver(or something metal) across the pick up. If you are reading volts, you are good. Turns out my original sender was good which leads me to wiring and a continuity test. Turns out that the harness I bought must have had a broken wire from the factory or possibly pinched somewhere(which is nearly impossible because the harness is wrapped from the trans to just in side of the firewall). Luckily the harness had a yellow(ground) and purple(feed) wire in it running the course. The yellow wire passed the test so I grounded the one of the wires to the crossmember, and used the yellow ground wire as my feed wire - voila!

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
pittpens24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome