Horn help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By bondora68

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Horn help

I’m completing my restoration on my 68 convertible. I used a new wiring harness from American Auto Wire. I have an original deluxe SS steering wheel. My horn does not work. Here’s a pic of the steering wheel. Anyone know the correct wiring?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6C073C6E-A580-4209-9DBB-C883872161C0_1538437569369.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	221917   Click image for larger version

Name:	3769C13A-FCAE-4AF2-9AE6-4438D4BC354C_1538437660277.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	476.7 KB
ID:	221919  

Tony
Follow my current Camaro project builds...
1967 Coupe (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1968 Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 18, 03:30 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Horn help

Tony - I moved this thread to the Electrical section of the forums.

Did you install the AAW update kit or the classic factory fit line?

Brian

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 18, 04:31 AM
John

Garage

The AAW update does not I use the OEM horn relay. It uses the AAW supplied horn relay that plugs into the harness under the dash.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 18, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
The AAW update does not I use the OEM horn relay. It uses the AAW supplied horn relay that plugs into the harness under the dash.
Yes, I used the supplied horn relay from AAW which plugged in under the dash. I don't know if I wired the steering wheel correctly...

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 18, 06:20 AM
John

Garage

Can you hear the relay click when you push the horn button?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 18, 08:07 AM
Team Member
Jake

Tony...i am having the same issue that you are. I have a 68 Vert and AAW Update Wiring as well. The only difference is that my horns used to work before paint. I just haven't had time to investigate it.
Don't hold me to this but i believe the coil of the relay is energized (thus closing the tips of the relay) by pushing the horn button and completing negative side of the coil circuit. Like i said, i haven't had to time to verify this and troubleshoot it yet. Good luck Tony!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 18, 08:55 AM
John

Garage

Jake. Your horns are most likely not grounded well due to the paint.

Yes horn button closes relay and puts 12v to the horn.

Simple horn test is put battery jumper to the 12v tab on the horn. Honks ok then grounds are good and problem is somewhere else. No honk and it either bad ground or bad horn.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 18, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Can you hear the relay click when you push the horn button?
No, I cannot hear the relay clicking..

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 18, 04:00 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I too suspect that the horn brackets are not getting a good ground, due to the new paint.

To test the horns past the relay, do as Vega$69 mentions in post #7. If the horns work, the horns are grounded good, and the issue will be with the ground wiring from the steering wheel to the relay, or the relay itself. To test the relay, make a temporary ground from a piece of wire; ground one end of the wire to a body location in the engine compartment. Using the other end of this wire, touch the ground post of the relay (this post would get ground when the horn button is pressed). If the horns work, then the relay is good, and the wire from the ground side of the relay point to the steering wheel horn button is the culprit.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 12:02 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Did you take the steering wheel apart at all?

If so, take steering wheel cover off again and make sure the spring, connecting the horn button wires, to the metal tab down in the steering wheel is there.
If it's not...take apart a ball-point pen, take the spring from it, stretch it slightly, drop it in the barrel, put steering wheel cover horn wire 'plug" in place, put steering wheel cover back on, and honk your horns. Ask me how I know this...

If the spring IS in there... has to be in the wiring setup.

'68 Convertible, #'s Matching, 327/210HP
LeMans Blue - Deluxe Parchment Interior
Power Steering, Powerglide, 10-Bolt, 2.73:1
Norwood car, Build date 03D

'53 Ford Crestline - Hardtop
Raven Black/Sungate Ivory
239 Flathead V-8
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 18, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

OK, I tested my original horns at the battery and got nothing. I ordered 2 new reproduction horns and tested them at the battery. They worked fine. They came with new brackets so I mounted them RS style behind the grille and ran a jumper from the battery to the horns and they worked fine. I plugged them into the wiring harness and then turned my attention to the steering column. I took off the steering wheel shroud and testing the horn contacts there and got nothing. I got a small flat file and filed the connection contacts on both sides. When I hooked everything up correctly with the spring and wire that branches out to the wheel contact points I got nothing. When I grounded a wire to the steering wheel center bolt and touched it into the hole with the spring the horns blew depending on how far I stuck the wire into the spring. So, I put a pin inside the spring and wrapped the wire around the pin and wedged it into the hole. When I grounded this wire it blew the horn. So I created a ground point at the center of the wheel by welding 2 wires on to a washer that fit behind the nut that holds the steering wheel on. The wires went out to the horn contacts on the left and right sides to provide a better contact point for the horn ground. I tucked all that behind the shroud and screwed it all back together. It works great now!
697ibew likes this.

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 18, 09:50 AM
John

Garage

Did you not have the contact pan that assembles with the spring into the signal canceling ring

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 18, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

[QUOTE=Vega$69;1783096845]Did you not have the contact pan that assembles with the spring into the sign
I had what was left of the old one that was not making contact. I could not find another one...

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 18, 06:51 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Tony, This is the pin you need (or needed).
67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 Camaro Horn Contact Spring & Pin Set - 1967, 1968, 1969 Camaro Parts - NOS, Rare, Reproduction Camaro Parts for your Restoration

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 18, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Note that not all require the Pin. Some, just the spring. As in my case.

'68 Convertible, #'s Matching, 327/210HP
LeMans Blue - Deluxe Parchment Interior
Power Steering, Powerglide, 10-Bolt, 2.73:1
Norwood car, Build date 03D

'53 Ford Crestline - Hardtop
Raven Black/Sungate Ivory
239 Flathead V-8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode