wiper motor problem 1967 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 18, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

My wipers have never worked 1967 RS. I pulled the motor out and bench tested and it worked fine. On low speed it rotated once and stopped (assume it went to park position?). On high speed it turns continuously.

When I put the motor back in the car and provide 12V (battery) to power terminal (where white wire goes) and ground the light blue or black, motor never moves. The motor is grounded to the firewall and I confirmed it was a good ground. I tried using the battery for ground and also tried grounding it to the firewall and no difference. Is my test of the motor when in the car not correct?

Joe

1967 Camaro RS 350 TH350
1970 Chevelle 454 200 4r

Last edited by jcor12; Oct 29th, 18 at 04:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 18, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: wiper motor problem 1967

Ensure resistance is read, for motor windings, between yellow terminal and individually to the dark blue & light blue wire terminals, with harness unplugged.
A voltage check at wiper plug, plugged onto wiper, there should be battery voltage on all terminals mentioned.
The wiper switch provides the ground connection for speed selected through the switch body to dash, and switch may need removal and dash wire brushed where the switch rests against completing the circuit.
See AIM page UPC 12-D1 & D2 (for switch)

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 18, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Ensure resistance is read, for motor windings, between yellow terminal and individually to the dark blue & light blue wire terminals, with harness unplugged.
A voltage check at wiper plug, plugged onto wiper, there should be battery voltage on all terminals mentioned.
The wiper switch provides the ground unconnection for speed selected through the switch body to dash, and switch may need removal and dash wire brushed where the switch rests against completing the circuit.
See AIM page UPC 12-D1 & D2 (for switch)
thanks for the reply.

i read between white terminal and light blue terminal 1.5 ohms, white and black 5 ohms

with ignition on, switch off at white 10.8 volts (fans running), lbl 0 and black 0

ign on switch low white 9.8 volts, lbl and blk 0
ign on switch high white 10 volts lbl 0 blk 7 volts

i scraped off paint at switch mounting location on dash, cannot get nut very tight (it is snug) because it is wrong thread (one on order) but tested bare spot on dash and measured good ground

when i applied 12 v direct to motor and grounded, didnt that bypass switch?

1967 Camaro RS 350 TH350
1970 Chevelle 454 200 4r

Last edited by jcor12; Oct 29th, 18 at 05:34 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 04:55 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Did you view the sticky on this forum for possible help?

https://www.camaros.net/forums/19-el...h-diagram.html

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Did you view the sticky on this forum for possible help?

https://www.camaros.net/forums/19-el...h-diagram.html
Thanks...I did. Honestly, I dont understand what the OP is saying on how to test resistance. Is he saying to test resistance from each switch terminal to any ground in each position?

1967 Camaro RS 350 TH350
1970 Chevelle 454 200 4r

Last edited by jcor12; Oct 31st, 18 at 08:30 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 12:02 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

When you did the bench test the motor should remain running in both low and high speeds until you remove power from the motor.

To test the wiring unplug the wiper motor and washer pump connectors.
1. Test for 12V on the yellow wire (I think you're calling that the white wire) on the two connectors. Put the ground lead of the volt meter on a good body ground. 12V should only be present when the key is in the ON position.
2. Again put the black lead of the ohm meter on a good body ground and connect the red lead to the light blue wire of the connector. The ohm meter should read high resistance until you put the wiper switch into the low speed setting at which time the ohm meter should read a low resistance near zero ohms. The key position doesn't matter for this test.
3. Repeat step 2 for the high speed switch setting then place the red lead of the ohm meter onto the black wire of the connector which should also be a low resistance when the wiper switch is in the high position. Note both the black and light blue wires should be near ground when the wiper switch is in the high position.
4. Repeat step 2 for the washer wiper switch setting then place the red lead on the dark blue wire which should also be near ground when the switch is in the wash position.

If all those tests pass then your wiper motor may not be getting a good ground to the firewall or the connector(s) is making a poor connection to the tabs on the wiper motor or the motor itself is bad.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post
When you did the bench test the motor should remain running in both low and high speeds until you remove power from the motor.

To test the wiring unplug the wiper motor and washer pump connectors.
1. Test for 12V on the yellow wire (I think you're calling that the white wire) on the two connectors. Put the ground lead of the volt meter on a good body ground. 12V should only be present when the key is in the ON position.
2. Again put the black lead of the ohm meter on a good body ground and connect the red lead to the light blue wire of the connector. The ohm meter should read high resistance until you put the wiper switch into the low speed setting at which time the ohm meter should read a low resistance near zero ohms. The key position doesn't matter for this test.
3. Repeat step 2 for the high speed switch setting then place the red lead of the ohm meter onto the black wire of the connector which should also be a low resistance when the wiper switch is in the high position. Note both the black and light blue wires should be near ground when the wiper switch is in the high position.
4. Repeat step 2 for the washer wiper switch setting then place the red lead on the dark blue wire which should also be near ground when the switch is in the wash position.

If all those tests pass then your wiper motor may not be getting a good ground to the firewall or the connector(s) is making a poor connection to the tabs on the wiper motor or the motor itself is bad.

1. I get 11 volts at white wire with key on.

2. With switch off, I get no reading/movement on ohms on light blue

switch on low, I get 0.6 ohms on light blue and same on black

switch on high, I get 0.6 ohms on light blue and no reading/movement black

My opinion is a bad switch, agree?

1967 Camaro RS 350 TH350
1970 Chevelle 454 200 4r
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

No, I suspect the switch is okay but you are misrepresenting the switch positions. You have the low and high positions reversed. I would bench test the motor again. Like I said before the motor should remain on as long as the power is applied in either the low or high setting.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 05:33 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Joe, Do you have the ground strap in place ? See this thread.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/19-el...und-strap.html

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
No, I suspect the switch is okay but you are misrepresenting the switch positions. You have the low and high positions reversed. I would bench test the motor again. Like I said before the motor should remain on as long as the power is applied in either the low or high setting.
I will try the bench test again. Last time I did it, I grounded the light blue and black individually but I think I need to jump light blue to black and then ground (not sure it matters).

I agree my readings are reversed, but I would think when I switch to low it would be high speed and high would be low speed, but the motor doesnt turn at all when in the car.

1967 Camaro RS 350 TH350
1970 Chevelle 454 200 4r
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Joe, Do you have the ground strap in place ? See this thread.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/19-el...und-strap.html
Thanks, yes there is a ground strap on a grommet and the wiper housing is grounded to the firewall. I confirmed that the housing is grounded properly by checking it (testing battery to housing) and also confirmed that the ground wire from housing to the firewall is good. The site wont let me upload a picture but Ill keep trying.

1967 Camaro RS 350 TH350
1970 Chevelle 454 200 4r
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Do I need to be premium member to upload pictures? or 10 posts?

1967 Camaro RS 350 TH350
1970 Chevelle 454 200 4r
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 09:50 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

You say that you only measured 11V for test 1, that voltage should have been pretty much the same as the battery voltage since there was no load attached to the connector. A good battery should be around 12.4V, what do you measure when you place the volt meter directly across the battery posts?

Another test you can run to confirm the yellow wire (white in your case) is the problem, is to reconnect the connectors to the wiper motor and set the wiper switch to the high position and turn on the key. Then take the red lead of the volt meter and back probe the yellow wire at the connector (you might need to use a paper clip to fit between the connector shroud and the wire) and put the black lead on a good body ground. If the voltage is significantly lower then that confirms the problem.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 18, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Joe, Now that you have 10 posts you should be able to post pics but unless you're using a photo hosting site your number of photos will be very limited. With a paid membership I don't believe there is a limit. When you bench test the motor how are you controlling it ? If you're using the dash switch the motor should turn continuously on low and on high. When turned to the off position it should then go to park. I would remove the motor and bench test again. If it stopped when testing on low as your original post said you may have an open winding or dead spot in the stator. If you installed it on the car in that position you would get the results your getting. Also there almost has to be a relay in the system (probably internal to the motor) to allow a park position. Somewhere I read where a person had flipped the washer connector with the wiper connector. Did you possibly do that ? This thread may be of some help.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/19-el...otor-67-a.html
Also when testing resistance (ohms) you don't want any power being supplied as Everett said.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 18, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
You say that you only measured 11V for test 1, that voltage should have been pretty much the same as the battery voltage since there was no load attached to the connector. A good battery should be around 12.4V, what do you measure when you place the volt meter directly across the battery posts?

Another test you can run to confirm the yellow wire (white in your case) is the problem, is to reconnect the connectors to the wiper motor and set the wiper switch to the high position and turn on the key. Then take the red lead of the volt meter and back probe the yellow wire at the connector (you might need to use a paper clip to fit between the connector shroud and the wire) and put the black lead on a good body ground. If the voltage is significantly lower then that confirms the problem.
Blitzer....you're the man!

During my testing, I disregarded the voltage drop at my white wire because my fan runs all the time so I assumed that drop was due to the fans operating. I pulled the fan fuse and the wiper motor works (both speeds)! Also, my volts at white wire match the battery, for the first time.

Interesting part 2....I put fan fuse back in and wiper motor works during 1-2 attempts and then not again??? However, i see a 2 volt drop at white wire.

Bottom line is I need to troubleshoot fan circuit.

Thanks for your help, I was obsessed with figuring this out (I have been "caught" in the rain recently and had to pull over)
allanjs likes this.

1967 Camaro RS 350 TH350
1970 Chevelle 454 200 4r

Last edited by jcor12; Nov 1st, 18 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode