Wipers won't cut off - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Wipers won't cut off

Help
I have a 68 camaro that the wipers will not cut off, have replaced the wiper switch and the wiper motor and they still woot cut off, they were working ok one day and then they just wouldn't cut off, I don't know what to do next
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 18, 11:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Check ur wiring harness for frays or wire grounding out

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 18, 11:15 AM
Senior Tech
Lee

Re: Wipers won't cut off

Disconnect the connectors from the wiper motor except for the yellow power wire then turn on the key. Does the wiper motor still run? If so then there's a problem with the wiper park circuit inside the wiper assembly. If not then there's a wiring problem between the wiper switch and wiper motor.
dyno jonn likes this.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 18, 02:33 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxfire307 View Post
Help
I have a 68 camaro that the wipers will not cut off, have replaced the wiper switch and the wiper motor and they still woot cut off, they were working ok one day and then they just wouldn't cut off, I don't know what to do next
Check the ground ring at the wiper motor

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 18, 08:25 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

it sounds like the park switch is not working right

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Disconnected wires and left only yellow wire, with ignition on nothing happens, this problem started with origional wiper motor and wiper switch, after problem started I replaced wiper switch and problem didn't go away so I bought a new wiper motor and that didn't fix problem, I did a bench test on wiper motor and motor parked perfect, this makes me believe its in the wiring so I ran new wires to high and low plug ins on wiper motor from wiper switch and motor still won't park so now I have no clue. Any guess, theory or just try this will be very appreciated, thanks
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

That test indicates that the park switch is most likely okay, otherwise the motor would have started running as soon as you turned on the key. So next probe the light blue wire from the disconnected connector to chassis ground with the wiper switch off, and then do the same thing with the black wire. Both wires should be open when the switch is off. If that passes then turn the switch to low speed setting and confirm light blue wire now goes to ground and black wire is still high resistance. Then put the wiper switch to high setting and confirm both black and light blue wires go to ground. My guess is that either the light blue wire or the black wire is always at ground.

Do you have the wiper linkage and wipers all connected to the wiper motor? If not that might also explain the problem as the motor needs mechanical resistance in order for the park switch to work correctly.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 18, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks Blitzer, I did the tests you described, on low the light blue wire went to ground, but when I turned the switch to high both the light blue and black wires both did NOT go to ground, they both stayed open, the wiper switch is new and so is the wiper motor, what do you think is wrong with it ??
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 18, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

It would seem you have another bad wiper switch as both the blue and black wires need to go to ground when the wiper switch is in the high setting. However this doesn't really explain the original problem of why the motor is running all the time when the wiper connectors are connected to the wiper motor. Or am I not understanding the problem incorrectly? I took you original post to mean that every time you turn on the ignition the wiper motor starts running, is that still the case? What were you using for ground for the negative meter lead? Are both the blue and green wires open when the wiper switch is off?

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 18, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Both wires have no reading, I am using a bolt in the firewall where 2 other wires are grounded to check for ohms blue wire ohms the other nothing, wipers stay on when ignition is turned on but if I manually park the motor by taking a wire loop and touching the high and low terminals on the motor together, then the wipers stay off once they are parked until I turn them on again then they will not stop by turning wiper switch off, do I need to buy another wiper switch?
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 18, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

With switch off I have no reading on meter, with switch on and wiper switch to low blue wire shows a reading, on high wipers neither wire has reading
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 18, 10:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Sounds like the wiper switch is not grounded. On a 69 there is a metal plate behind the headlight switch and the wiper switch with a wire on it that get screwed to the metal under the dash.

Jeff
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 18, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yeah I have that strap behind my gages being they are mounted in a plastic bezel but the wiper switch is mounted in the metal part of the dash, I also clamped a ground wire to my switch just in case it wasn't grounding through the dash but it didn't help.
Is there any was to test the wiper switch?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 18, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Yes you can test the switch but you need to know
how it is designed internally. My switch is out of
the car and I can test it and post the results but
I do not know for certain that it is good.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 18, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hello Allenjs, thank you for the help, I hate for you to go to all the trouble but at your convenience if you could check yours and post the results I could check mine and see how they compare it would be so much help, I have gone as far as I can on my own, you don't know how much I would appreciate it, no hurry, I'm not driving it if it looks like rain. Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode