electric fuel pump shut off switch - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BPOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage
electric fuel pump shut off switch

OK, so I'm running an electric in-line fuel pump and it's currently wired as per manufacturer specs with a fused line running from the battery + to relay, a keyed ignition source running to relay and the 'hot' line running from relay to fuel pump with pump grounded to chassis.

my question is this;
since the relay is triggered by the ACC post on the fuse box, the pump runs whenever the key is in the 'ON' or 'ACC' position. i'd like to run an in-line shut off so i can work on or test other electrical equipment without having the pump running full time. can i run a toggle switch in-line with the wire off of the fuse box 'ACC' and hide it under the dash to shut off the fuel pump when wanted?

i originally wired my ignition source in-line with my radio as a security measure for against theft...turn off the radio and fuel pump shuts off. well I'm also powering 2 amps from this source and recently installed a new radio that i was afraid of overloading with all that draw so ran the fuel pump direct to the 'ACC' post.

now when i want to fiddle with the radio or anything else, i have the fuel pump running......not good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: electric fuel pump shut off switch

Yes you have the correct idea. A single throw toggle switch will do what you want.

Big Dave
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

that's what i thought. thank you

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 11:14 AM
Senior Tech
Al

On a 69 (don't know about 67,68) the IGN spade is hot when in run, not hot in ACC. ACC is hot in both positions as you know.
DT likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good suggestions of Dave and Al, you could power relay coil by using the IGN spade on fuse panel, but won't be secure as using radio power.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 03:58 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Yes, can be done.

I have a hidden micro toggle switch wired in just like you're wanting to do.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 04:10 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhodgdon400 View Post

i originally wired my ignition source in-line with my radio as a security measure for against theft...turn off the radio and fuel pump shuts off. well I'm also powering 2 amps from this source and recently installed a new radio that i was afraid of overloading with all that draw so ran the fuel pump direct to the 'ACC' post.

now when i want to fiddle with the radio or anything else, i have the fuel pump running......not good.
You'd be fine keeping it this way, since you are using this radio lead as the "trigger" for the relay that then powers the fuel pump. That's how a relay works. It uses a low current "trigger": to operate the relay that supplies a higher amp lead to the source (in your case, the fuel pump.

If I may ask, what electric fuel pump are you using? Is this for a fuel injection setup?

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 05:15 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

I did the same thing on my Camaro and hid the switch in the interior so if someone tried to steal it they would be 5h1t out of luck!!! LOL!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
You'd be fine keeping it this way, since you are using this radio lead as the "trigger" for the relay that then powers the fuel pump. That's how a relay works. It uses a low current "trigger": to operate the relay that supplies a higher amp lead to the source (in your case, the fuel pump.

If I may ask, what electric fuel pump are you using? Is this for a fuel injection setup?

using Edelbrock quiet flow 160 GPH external in-line pump. carb set up.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 09:15 PM
Team Member
Rich

I had a hidden switch in my C10 truck that would cut the ground to the fuel pump and it would not work. I liked this a lot better no chance of an accidental shock.

1967 SS350, Under construction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode