Another Horn Thread, need some help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 18, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Another Horn Thread, need some help

67 Camaro, 327, Powerglide

Have a Grant steering wheel that came with car. The horn cap is wired. A wire going to ground to the center terminal in the horn button and a black wire that runs through the steering column attached to the terminal on the outer edge of the back of horn button.

I probed that black wire for continuity to the small black wire attached to horn relay, no continuity. IDK if it is the same wire but its the only small black wire attached to relay coming from the car wiring harness that feeds horn relay, voltage regulator, headlight.

Wiring harness is original is in very good condition. Car was a Arizona car and all wires are very pliable and color is good as is the tape wrapping the harness

I assumed the horn relay is bad so bought another one. No....but it did start to get hot quickly.

My ? is can someone verify the wiring to the horn relay by color to terminal. I "think" the black & green were reversed (ones that are female that slide over male flat pins). When I reversed them, as shown in pic, the relay stopped getting hot (don't know if that's because it already got fried). Still no horn so IDK if it fried the old relay and then new one when I plugged it in same way as old one was.

The connection now is large black wire screwed into terminal towards PS. Large Red wire next to that. Small green wire of the plug furthest away (closer to engine) from core support. Small Black wire plugged into pin closest to core support

Are the small black & green wires plugged in correctly?

My DVM just died so I need to get another for any further testing. I am getting +12v to the large Red wire

I have only had the car for a month and sorting little stuff like this out. While under the car trying to see WTF a oil leak is coming from I saw the ground ring for the starter solenoid that should be bolted to the upper tranny bolt just sitting there "touching" the oil covered bolt head. Surprisingly the car always started. Clearly whoever pulled tranny at some point failed to attach it. Its stuff like this that leads me to believe two wires "may" have been swapped on the horn relay.

The relay is a Delco "original" looking but IDK if its the "original one (51 years old)

I did see a thread recently of a guy showing a video on why the relays heat up. Something about a manufacturing issue on replacement relays but searching I did not find it and of the several "horn" threads I read I did not find specific color/terminal info for a 67 standard column

Help appreciated.

Last edited by SoCal805; Jan 12th, 19 at 07:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 18, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: Another Horn Thread, need some help

Update, Fixed horn

Most of us can relate to getting a car and regardless of how good it looks, runs, etc. there are always the little WTF discoveries and the subsequent chasing down of various problems. In this case find "why" the horn does not work.

After probing the wires involved and replacing the horn relay (strike 1 & 2) I pull the steering wheel to start at that end on "why" I did not have continuity from horn button to relay (black wire). Steering wheel comes off......and a broken piece of fuse falls out the hole the black wire goes in.

Apparently the P.O. or the DF he hired to install the Grant wheel used a broken end of a 1/4" fuse with the filament the "spring contact" to the wire contact of the horn button wire. Yep there normally would be a spring in the barrel for the black wire connection of the spline you press on the steering shaft. Fortunately there was a sacrificial pen on my work bench that had a perfect fitting spring
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 18, 03:19 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: Another Horn Thread, need some help

Good find. What I located from a vendor that specializes in early Camaro's was a laminated wiring diagram, in color. This handy wiring diagram has helped me several times in saving time knowing the color code of a wire I'm chasing.

It was a good buy as well. If memory serves, it was under 20 bucks.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode