Console ? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

11Likes
  • 1 Post By bertfam
  • 1 Post By bertfam
  • 1 Post By bertfam
  • 1 Post By 130fe
  • 1 Post By Camaro Donnie
  • 1 Post By 130fe
  • 2 Post By bertfam
  • 1 Post By bertfam
  • 2 Post By bucko

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Console ?

Hi very new here but i am stumped 1969 Camaro Convertible 4 Speed i have a wire harness near the centre lower dash Flat connector 7 wires Orange pink grey white green and 2 bigger purple ones any one know what its for its not plugged into anything but the 2 purple ones are jumped any help would be Great Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181227_092355.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	223609  

Last edited by Kelcel; Dec 27th, 18 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: Console ?

Yep. Console. The purple and purple/white are for the neutral safety switch, so yours is being bypassed.

Ed
Kelcel likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertfam View Post
Yep. Console. The purple and purple/white are for the neutral safety switch, so yours is being bypassed.

Ed
Thanks for that 2 things please Would that affect my dash gas gauge it just stays beyond full and if i bought a console with gauges would i just plug it in Thanks again

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

No, it won't have any effect on the gas gauge. It's a separate system.

And no, since your car didn't originally have the optional gauges, you're missing that part of the wiring. If you want to add JUST the console back to your car, you can plug and play. However, if you want to also add the optional gauge package, you'll have to buy the harness that was used on the console with gauges AND a conversion harness to add the correct wiring for the gauges to the part of the harness you already have. Both are available aftermarket, like THIS ONE from Classic Industries (Contains both the Conversion harness and the Console harness with gauge package for automatic transmissions).

But be forewarned, the optional console gauges had a the gas gauge included so you won't be able to use the gas gauge in the dash.

Ed
Kelcel likes this.

CRG -

Last edited by bertfam; Dec 27th, 18 at 12:18 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
No, it won't have any effect on the gas gauge. It's a separate system.

And no, since your car didn't originally have the optional gauges, you're missing that part of the wiring. If you want to add JUST the console back to your car, you can plug and play. However, if you want to also add the optional gauge package, you'll have to buy the harness that was used on the console with gauges AND a conversion harness to add the correct wiring for the gauges to the part of the harness you already have. Both are available aftermarket, like THIS ONE from Classic Industries (Contains both the Conversion harness and the Console harness with gauge package for automatic transmissions).

But be forewarned, the optional console gauges had a the gas gauge included so you won't be able to use the gas gauge in the dash.

Ed
so I have one more question having that wires would that tell me that my car was born. an automatic ?? Thanks
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 06:25 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Yes, IF it's the original harness, the purple and purple/white wires prove that your car came from the factory with an automatic transmission and the console.

Ed
Kelcel likes this.

CRG -
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Yes, IF it's the original harness, the purple and purple/white wires prove that your car came from the factory with an automatic transmission and the console.

Ed
Thanks for that but i did look at the numbers stamped on the transmission 3925656 it say Saginaw 4 Speed

1967-1969 Camaro Manual Transmission Castings
Transmission Case Info 1967 1968 1969
Saginaw 3-speed material: cast iron
7-bolt side cover 3859986 3925647
H-D 3-Speed material: cast iron
9-bolt side cover (B-W)
7-bolt side cover (MC1) Borg-Warner M13
T16-1 Muncie MC1 #
Saginaw 4-speed material: cast iron
7-bolt side cover 3915032 3925656
Muncie 4-speed material: aluminum
7-bolt side cover 3885010 3925660 *
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 12:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Kelcel, sounds like either an auto harness was put in a manual car or someone added the manual trans to the auto car. They (whoever put the harness in - if it was changed) bypassed the Nuetral safety switch (normally to allow starting of the car only when it is in park or nuetral. thatís how auto cars are wired, so you donít start it in gear. The factory didnít put a clutch switch on our cars until 69 I think. You can always wire in a 69 style switch in your car, just have to mount the switch (drill holes in pedal assembly) and wire that part of the harness to the pedal switch.
Kelcel likes this.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 01:05 AM
Tech Team
Donnie

I believe that in 1969 the cars did have a neutral switch for the 4 speed transmission. This was to make sure the clutch had to be pushed in to start the car. It would not start unless the clutch was pushed in to the floor making the switch. The switch was located behind the gauges in the dash. Most got jumpered out.
Kelcel likes this.

Camaro Donnie
1969 RS/SS Black 4 Speed Camaro Coupe
390 Gears with 410 CI small block
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 03:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Sorry mis read the thread that you already have a 69 lol. Look up by the clutch pedal and see if there is a clutch switch or not. This is what it looks like.

1969 Camaro Neutral Safety Switch 4 Speed Mounts on Pedal - 1967, 1968, 1969 Camaro Parts - NOS, Rare, Reproduction Camaro Parts for your Restoration
Kelcel likes this.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 07:01 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
Thanks for that but i did look at the numbers stamped on the transmission 3925656 it say Saginaw 4 Speed
That casting number (3925656) was used from 1968 through the late 1970's, so you'll need to get the casting date and the ASSEMBLY DATE to narrow it down. It should also have a partial VIN stamped on it. That will tell us exactly where it came from.

As stated, IF that harness is original to your car, it came with an automatic transmission. If it's not, and you have the clutch safety switch up under the dash, that harness isn't original and your car came with a manual transmission. You wouldn't have both a neutral safety switch (automatics) AND a clutch safety switch (manuals)!

Ed
130fe and Kelcel like this.

CRG -
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Thanks for the info i will look for those numbers i do know that it does not have a Clutch Safety Switch installed now tell me please does that devalue the car lots it it was an Auto Thanks
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 02:06 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
does that devalue the car lots it it was an Auto
Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Ed
Kelcel likes this.

CRG -
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

yes you are right Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0440 copy.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	223675  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 03:59 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Ed
Amen.

Devalue? Only, and only if, you perhaps had plans to show this car as an original, unmolested, numbers matching Camaro.

Otherwise, no, as its a nice, running 1st gen Camaro. You bought it because you liked it, so that alone makes it valuable!

I have a non numbers matching 67. It started life as a 6 cylinder powerglide. It now has a 327 and a turbo 350 automatic, all one by one of its previous owners. I still bought it. I gets driven weekly, and I'll take it to a local 'get together' type show. I have the occasional "expert" walk up and tell me its got the wrong engine and transmission, as well as the wrong center caps for the rally wheels. I smile at them, and ask to check out their 67. They usually state they don't have one. I thank them for their observations, and they move on.
indycamaronut and Kelcel like this.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode