Dumb Question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Yellow69RSZ
  • 1 Post By rogerh
  • 1 Post By Everett#2390
  • 1 Post By Everett#2390

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 19, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Dumb Question

Hi Sorry for the Dumb Questions i having owned a Classic for a long time so her goes
1 should the gas gauge stay at the amount in the tank even with the key off
2 should the Speedo and gas gauge lite always be on when the key is on
3 should the headlamp switch dim the Speedo and gas gauge lamps when i turn the knob

Sorry so used to my new Silverado But Thanks !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 19, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Dumb Question

My best guesses...1. Not necessarily
2. I don't believe so
3. Yes
Kelcel likes this.

Mostly Camaros and FINALLY a Double Nickel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 19, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow69RSZ View Post
My best guesses...1. Not necessarily
2. I don't believe so
3. Yes
I think first off i need a new Head Lamp Switch not sure

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 19, 08:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelcel View Post
Hi Sorry for the Dumb Questions i having owned a Classic for a long time so her goes
1 should the gas gauge stay at the amount in the tank even with the key off
2 should the Speedo and gas gauge lite always be on when the key is on
3 should the headlamp switch dim the Speedo and gas gauge lamps when i turn the knob

Sorry so used to my new Silverado But Thanks !!!!
There is no dumb question and the answer to these are,

#1. No, the fuel gauge is electric and when you turn off the ignition it turns off the electric to the gauge.

#2. No, normally the dash light are not on unless the headlights or parking light are on.

#3. Yes, the headlight switch also controls the brightness of the dash lights and manually turns on the dome/interior lights. It doesn’t control the light in the radio. The radio light is only on when the radio is on.

These answers for a 67. A 68 or 69 my be different. In the future it would help to post what year Camaro you have.

Below is a picture of the page in the manual that tell how the headlight switch should work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29061566-068F-4F90-8360-53D86D7478C2.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	223823  
Kelcel likes this.

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 19, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerh View Post
There is no dumb question and the answer to these are,

#1. No, the fuel gauge is electric and when you turn off the ignition it turns off the electric to the gauge.

#2. No, normally the dash light are not on unless the headlights or parking light are on.

#3. Yes, the headlight switch also controls the brightness of the dash lights and manually turns on the dome/interior lights. It doesn’t control the light in the radio. The radio light is only on when the radio is on.

These answers for a 67. A 68 or 69 my be different. In the future it would help to post what year Camaro you have.

Below is a picture of the page in the manual that tell how the headlight switch should work.
oh yes you are right Thanks i have a 1969 just changed my fuel sending unit it reads right but stays at the same level key on or off not sure what that is ??
and the bottom left fuse "ACC " had no power and when i give it power the dash sights come on as soon as i turn the key on and #3 im pretty sure i need a head lamp switch i can turn the knob and it doesn't change the lights at all Thanks Again !!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good answers given. Gas gauge may stay at powered on indication when power is OFF. However, the needle may move if not at 12 o:clock position when power is turned off due to gravity.
Look for a gray wire, as this color wire is dash lights power. If connected to ACC spade on fuse panel, yes, they will come on and yes, no dimming via light switch as light power source may have been relocated from headlamp switch to fuse panel.
Once you find gray wire, when you connect to headlamp switch, dimming function may work.
Tip: when operating dash light dimmer, twist the bejesus on it to remove any burnt spots on potentiometer so lights will dim/brighten when turned.
Kelcel likes this.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Good answers given. Gas gauge may stay at powered on indication when power is OFF. However, the needle may move if not at 12 o:clock position when power is turned off due to gravity.
Look for a gray wire, as this color wire is dash lights power. If connected to ACC spade on fuse panel, yes, they will come on and yes, no dimming via light switch as light power source may have been relocated from headlamp switch to fuse panel.
Once you find gray wire, when you connect to headlamp switch, dimming function may work.
Tip: when operating dash light dimmer, twist the bejesus on it to remove any burnt spots on potentiometer so lights will dim/brighten when turned.
Thanks for that info i do see 1 grey wire looks like its to the head lap switch here is what i have
3 fuses on left in fuse block always hot
5 fuses on right in fuse block only hot with ignition on
bottom small LPS no power at all

Dash lights will not go on even when head lamps are on unless i jump power to the LPS fuse then they come on when the key is on
hope this makes sense Thanks !!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Then LPS power is not coming from headlamp switch to fuse panel.- Dark green into panel.
Kelcel likes this.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Then LPS power is not coming from headlamp switch to fuse panel.- Dark green into panel.

Thanks i will look for that but is the rest right
hot all the time and hot with ign ? Thanks and should that LPS be hot only with ignition on ? thanks

Last edited by Kelcel; Jan 6th, 19 at 02:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode