Help with locating potential harness wire location - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bigbaddad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 19, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Help with locating potential harness wire location

Hi folks. New here and learning. I searched several threads but the answer is a bit vague.
Scenario is a 67 RS console car that according to the codes originally had a powerglide and console. It has been converted to muncie using the original console.

I am keeping it a 4 speed and am using the hurst reverse light switch to hook up the backup lights. The lights are installed and already plugged into the rear harness.

I double checked firewall and do not have any of the 4 speed type holes or grommets for the reverse lights.

I have pulled console and carpet and see that the harness that went to the console ashtray light was cut and removed. Consequently, I cannot locate where the powerglide reverse light switch/neutral safety switch wires would have run from the console to the dash harness.

I have the wiring diagram and believe I'm looking for the pink and lt green wires. I looked in the dash area near the turn signal flasher unit and behind the radio with no luck.

The dash harness is all still neatly wrapped and has not been messed with.

Any ideas on where the console harness actually tied into the dash harness? A picture would be great...

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 19, 11:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: Help with locating potential harness wire location

Yeah the pink and green wires are the correct colors. Is the dash harness original or has it been replaced? I would look in the area of the heater plugs for the console plug. Another area to look for the BU light wires is are the ignition switch.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 19, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

The dash harness is original and doesn't appear to have tape cut or removed. The car did have vintage air added on by the last owner. Specifically, I want to know where the console harness joins the dash harness. That would be a place to check for tampering or a splice point for the hurst switch. This car still has the original turn switch/cam in the steering wheel and 8 pin is still mounted to the steering/dash brace behind the instrument panel. The ignition switch has been replaced.
I have tried following the wires directly out of the fuse block, but it doesn't appear they start there from what I can see. I know it has to branch off looking at the replacement harnesses, but I don't know physically where that occurs. Thanks for the help.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 19, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Took the advice of the general are where the heater plug would be. Mystery solved. When they installed the vintage air and manual transmission, they would have pulled the console. First step was to remove the cinder block of a factory radio (inoperable). The vintage air slips in from under the radio. I had to basically disassemble the outer cage of the radio head and use tin snips at the corner to get enough clearance to pull the radio. PITA. But neatly wrapped and ziptied above the vintage air controls was the harness. All original except the splice gor the neutral safety switch bypass, which was poorly done anyway. Now to wire in that hurst switch. And unlike the last guy, im a forward thinker and will prerun wires for a new radio and extra grounds...one gremlin down, next up...
130fe likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 05:19 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Went through this myself just recently. My 67 started its life as a 6 cylinder, 2 speed Powerglide automatic, with a column shift setup. During one of its previous owners, it got a 327 V8, and a 3 speed automatic, and a floor shift (67 shifter) and a floor console. I found that the steering column nuetral safety switch was removed, and the reverse lights (red/gree) where dangling, but the two purple wires were spliced, allowing the engine to start in any gear.

I made my own harness, consisting of two 12 gauge purple wires, one red 18 gauge wire, and one 18 gauge green wire, heat shrinked the entire 4 foot length of these wires, then ran it to the console shifter, where the "correct" 3 speed automatic transmission neutral safety switch was installed on the shifter. It now works as it should.

And a tip to removing the large, monolith factory radio is to remove the cardboard glovebox; this gains you easy access to the radio. You can then pull it out from the glovebox opening.

Amazes me as to how previous owners wired these cars in the past. More amazed as to how many survived the crazy unsafe wiring they got!

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode