Overcharging - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

6Likes
  • 4 Post By reelknots
  • 2 Post By BPOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy Brutout

Garage
Overcharging

I have a 1968 SS 396ci, so my original problem was my alternator was not charging. So I put in a new alternator in and it done nothing to rectify the issue. So I rewired my wiring which was burnt and I put a larger wire in and also an external voltage regulator and horn relay. Now my problem is my output to the battery is 15-16 volts. What is causing this problem and what is the fix?

Thanks!

1968 Camaro Super Sport, 396ci, Edelbrock carburetor & intake, Muncie 4-speed, Hurst, 12-bolt posi, Flow Master.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 02:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Re: Overcharging

You either need to adjust the external regulator or just replace it. Not all are adjustable.

Lynn
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 03:00 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

User larger wire may have been a mistake as the original circuit may have accounted for the voltage drop across the charge wire by specify a larger output voltage at the voltage regulator. Does the external regulator have any specifications printed on it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 04:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Did you replace your regulator with a mechanical or solid state one? If mechanical, you need to adjust it. If solid state, you should replace it again, you might have gotten a defective one.
130fe, 69-Pace, rp930 and 1 others like this.

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 05:29 PM
Senior Tech
Al

If the external regulator is mounted via rubber encased well nuts in the core support, you must run a ground strap from the metal frame of the regulator to the core support. Failure to ground the regulator - whether mechanical or solid state - will overcharge the battery, which will likely explode. Happened to me.

If you have an internally regulated alternator and an external regulator....well, pick one or the other, but not both.
130fe and rp930 like this.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 19, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy Brutout

Garage

Thank you all, it was the external voltage regulator.

1968 Camaro Super Sport, 396ci, Edelbrock carburetor & intake, Muncie 4-speed, Hurst, 12-bolt posi, Flow Master.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 19, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Brutout View Post
Thank you all, it was the external voltage regulator.
Was it the original mechanical style or a more modern solid state style and what did you replace it with ?. Just wondering as the original on my 68 was messed with at some point and was having the alternator put out around 16V but with a little work I was able to get the voltage where it should be.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 19, 06:48 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

The old factory mechanical style regulator units REQUIRED seasonal tweaking to account for weather and the testing of the open lead/acid full maintenance batteries and the amount of charge required to keep at full charge.

In our lifetimes with the advent of maintenance free/sealed batteries and Solid State regulators that eliminate all the tweaking, we have all but forgotten the amount of time, and skill these vehicles required to keep out of the garage.

The Wells/Airtex VR715 units - also branded for some of the big box auto parts stores such as AutoZone, and ACME - DO require a particular installation procedure which if not followed exactly can fry the unit on install. MOST people ignore the simple six step installation manual.

From the Wells/Airtex instruction sheet circa 2014 - Before connecting unit, FIRST check the resistance with an Ohms meter from the F terminal in the harness connector to ground. If less than 2.5 you have a possibly bad alternator and connecting the harness will destroy the regulator. Next mount the unit and insure you have good ground. Connect the harness connector. Next start the vehicle. Check voltage at battery. Should be between 13.8 - 14.8 volts at 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 19, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy Brutout

Garage

Jim,

I replaced it with a Delco more modern solid state style, its the thinner one vs. the larger more fat one. It brought my alternator output from 16 down to 13.7 volts, which is just about perfect. I purchased it at Autozone for about $34.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 19, 06:28 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Brutout View Post
Jim,

I replaced it with a Delco more modern solid state style, its the thinner one vs. the larger more fat one. It brought my alternator output from 16 down to 13.7 volts, which is just about perfect. I purchased it at Autozone for about $34.
Randy,

I was just wondering should anyone else come across this to see what your results were.

Not to keep dragging this out longer, but can you supply any part numbers from the "zone" ?.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 19, 07:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

As Brian noted "VR715"

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode