67 rs front digitail parking lamps. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bigbaddad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 19, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

67 rs front digitail parking lamps.

So next on my list is the digitails 67 rs front parking lamps.
I have already sucessfully done the rear 67 rs lights, white led 1156 reverse lights, led gauge lamps and white led courtesy/console lamps. Also a new dash circuit board, two spaghetti engineering flashers and new turn signal/hazard in the column.
I am bench testing the light install prior to final assembly and my result is...

Key in off position- hazards function properly with headlights both on and off.

Key in off position but parking lights on-front parking lamps do not flash, but tail lamps flash.

Key in on position with headlights on or off- hazards and turn signal working properly front and rear.

Key in on position but parking lights on- same as with key off above, all rears work properly but no front turn flash or hazard flash in front (both lamps stay illuminated in park function while rears behave as designed.

Ive double checked grounds.

Therefore im wondering why the front leds cant get a voltage interuption to flash when parking lamps are engaged with either key in on or off position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 19, 04:35 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

Re: 67 rs front digitail parking lamps.

back probe the front parking lamp blue wire and measure the voltage when the lamp should be blinking. My guess is that the battery voltage is too low when you have the parking lights turned on. But the ground lead of the volt meter on the same ground that the parking lamp is using to get an accurate measurement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 19, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

I'll try that when im done charging up the battery with my trickle/conditioner digital charger.
But wouldn't the voltage pull be higher with headlamps on low beam or high beam? Its working ok when either of those are on. Unless what you mean is the voltage specifically on the light blue due to the parking lamps just getting a pop of juice when those are on as opposed to not enough juice when the y are on steady to tell the intregal led circuit board to alternate the flow rather than stay steady. Either way, testing the voltage is a great idea since it will let me know if it is alternating correctly after the flasher. I can diagnosis it foward or before the harness plug at that point. Coincidentally, the headlight motors starting acting liike they didnt want to close, and it very well could be due to a drained battery, as they were working fine after installing a new relay board (3x relay 1x circuit breaker) but would close after a few minute of sitting with key off/headlights off then popping the key back on. The car has been sitting for about 2 months now and the battery showed about 60 % charged. I shut it off to night after trickling it up to 80% over a 7 hour charge. I'll get it up to 90% after work tomorrow and try again while checking the voltage.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 19, 12:03 AM
Senior Tech
Lee

Re: 67 rs front digitail parking lamps.

It appears that the problem only occurs when both the front parking lamp and the blinker are active at the same time. I believe when the headlights are ON the front parking lamps go OFF which would explain why those test scenarios are working. This is why you should measure the voltage right at one of the failing parking lights to confirm that the voltage is at the same potential as the battery voltage.

I suspect that you still have a bad ground with these Digitail front lights. Both the parking lamp and blinker lamp share a common ground on the LED circuit board so a poor ground could produce a failure like you are seeing when only both the parking and blinker LEDs are ON at the same time since there is an increase in the LED boards ground return current.

I was just looking at the instructions for the digitails front lamps and it doesn't really show how the ground connection is being made from the LED board to the car's chassis. I'm guessing the circuit board has a ground plane around the perimeter of the board that makes contact with the lamp housing. The directions state that you should press the LED board firmly against the housing and let the adhesive dry. If you failed to press the board firmly enough against the housing then I could see this being the poor ground connection. Frankly I would solder a piece of wire from LED board ground to the housing or better yet run that wire all the way to the chassis ground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Problem solved, but id love to share what i figured out. Wires were reversed in the digitails installation instructions.

------Warning Long Read--------

First, please understand im a novice but always test wire everything together out of the car by running leads - meaning the lights are not mounted to the housings. I ran a dedicated ground from the intregal ground wire coming from the digitails board directly the battery rather than a chasis ground. Then i ran jumpers from the front harness connection after the left or right parking light female connector from the light blue and purple wires for each parking light respectively to the light blue and brown wires on the digitails harness per their instructed locations. This was my original setup giving me the issue.

First, as suggested i charged up the battery to 100%.

Next, i inspected the backside of the digitails board. Based on the location of the instructed mointing points for applying the adhesive to look for any grounding points. There are none. To me this ruled out the fact that the light is not installed into a grounded housing is not a reason for the issue.

Next, as suggested i tested for voltage drop at the front harness side of the parking lamp connection. I observed voltage drop on the light blue wire when activing turn signals or hazards and constant 12v on the purple wire with parking lamps on. To me this indicates that the led flashers (hazard and signals), turn signal switch and headlamp switch are working properly.

I referenced my wiring diagram which shows the light blue front harness wire going to the firewall, then to the column turn signal switch. Same diagram shows the purple going to the headlight switch. This indicates to me that purple is for parking lights and light blue is for signals/hazards based on voltage interuption by the column switch telling the flashers what position the applicable switches are in.

Then i referenced the digitails instructions and verified the color coding of the connections. The illustration clearly shows the position of the running light to be the brown wire and blue to be the turn signal.
However, their position in the illustration diagram is reversed from their actual position on the parking light/front body harnesd connector when compared to my voltage observations or gm wiring diagram.

Finally, i reversed the two wire connections feeding the digitails lights and everything works properly.

My conclusion is this - there is a typo in the digitails instructions and diagram showing the wires to be reversed. Since everything was working properly before, i cant imagine that my flashers, headlight switch, column turn signals and harness connectors were reversed.

I still dont know if this affected my rs headlights not wanting to close, as they are working again after fully charging the battery reversing the wires for the parking lights.

Thanks for the help. My thumbs are tired of typing now so dont beat me down on grammar and capitalization errors.
130fe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode