Brake Light Issue - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Brake Light Issue

The far right rear taillight on the 69 stays on when the ignition is turned on and the right turn signal does not work, I would suggest due to that. All other lights work. Could it be a bad socket? Or what else could it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 01:04 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage
Re: Brake Light Issue

Yes, if all of the other lights work fine then, it sounds like an issue with that socket. I would test a different bulb just to make sure or a voltmeter if you have one would work also. Sounds like something is grounding out. Look for corrosion, maybe it just needs a little wire brush/sand paper on the contact points before replacing the entire socket. It could also be something in the steering column.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 03:10 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

If the taillight sockets are worn, corroded, or loose they will not ground properly and your rear lights will get all "wonky" (as my son says). Make sure your sockets are in place and well grounded.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 04:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post
The far right rear taillight on the 69 stays on when the ignition is turned on and the right turn signal does not work, I would suggest due to that. All other lights work. Could it be a bad socket? Or what else could it be?
My first thought is the turn signal switch. In order for the light to stay on it has to have power and ground. The ground on a 69 are not as problematic as the 67 and 8. If the bulb is bright I'd assume the ground is good. take a test light or volt meter and find out if the brown wire has power. My guess is no. test the other color (Yellow or green). I'm guessing it will have power as it's the T/S feed. If it has power unplug the T/S switch at the base of the column and see if the light goes out.

Jeff
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 19, 02:13 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

As silly as it seems, check the bulb. Had a similar problem and it was the bulb. It was only 10 years old!!

69 Camaro convertible 327, TH 350, fully restored, well almost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode