Help with my battery relocation please - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Alex

Help with my battery relocation please

1969 Firebird. First off, I'm really a dumb simpleton and a total newb when it comes to electrical, so when helping PLEASE spell it out for me like I'm a child. I need to get my sh*t in order before my car burns down. I want to do everything right (correcting what the previous owner did) and the first step in that will be relocating the battery to my trunk behind the rear passenger seat (I need the space under the hood).

I'm running a ton of modern stuff that needs GOOD power: Dakota VHX gauges, Dakota digital fan controller, dual electric radiator fans, VintageAir A/C & heater, fans on my transmission & oil coolers, LED headlights & all LED bulbs everywhere else all over the car, Holley Terminator Stealth EFI & fuel pump, and eventually I'll add a mild stereo system. Also, I live in the CA desert where it can be 125F, stuck in traffic, with literally ALL of that running simultaneously. Only thing I don't have is an electric water pump and power windows.

Here are the parts I already have:

New 1 wire alternator (replacing my externally regulated alt) - already installed
Odyssey battery, NHRA Moroso battery box w/pad (NHRA)
Pollak battery disconnect switch (NHRA) w/pigtail to keep power to the radio - mounted on tail panel
Remote starter solenoid - currently on the radiator support
New ground cables: Battery to the body, body to engine, & body to the radiator support. All are 1/0 gauge in black.

My buy list:

Power distribution block
200 amp fuse
3/8" bolt hardware to mount battery box
4 gauge welding wire

Currently, the previous owner has installed a starter solenoid as a distribution block on the radiator support on the driver's side. Alternator wire goes to it, from it goes a wire to the battery and another to the starter (2 other small wires too). The electric fans have relays and fuses but are wired to the battery instead of this solenoid/distribution point for optimal alternator amp draw like I think they should be.

I plan on relocating the solenoid to use in the trunk by the battery, so I'll go battery + to the solenoid. I've heard that doing this is great because then the big cable going under the car to the front is only energized during starting. Correct? Where is the best place to put the fuse for the system?

I then plan on installing a proper distribution block on the firewall where the external voltage regulator currently is. Then I'll wire the alternator to the distribution block. To this distribution block, I'll connect the electric fans and main power for the fuse box. From the fuse block, I have my digital gauges, fuel pump, etc. wired. My Holley goes straight to the battery + as instructed.

My questions:

1): Wiring the solenoid so the cable going up front is only hot during crank. How exactly? I have attached a picture of it. Like what cables from where should go to which terminals on it?
2): Wiring up the starter. How exactly? From where to where? I'm not exactly how this work with a remote solenoid.
3): Wiring in the disconnect switch. How exactly? I have attached a picture of it. Like what cables from where should go to which terminals on it?
4): I have ZERO clue how that pigtail on the disconnect switch wires so my radio remembers it's presets, but I figure I'll cross that bridge when I upgrade my stereo lol.

Once I can get a diagram drawn up for my exact configuration, then I can order the cabling, connectors, tools, and other parts I need to start going to town. I've decided to invest in a heat gun and crimpers and learning to do it all myself.

Thanks!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
w/BP 461ci stroker kit, 670 heads & XE274H cam. Primer black w/black interior.
1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Last edited by anguilla1980; Mar 20th, 19 at 03:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 04:32 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Help with my battery relocation please

Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk battery.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	225785

or

Click image for larger version

Name:	trunkbat3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	225787

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Alex

That helps perfectly, thank you!!!!!

UPDATE: I'm going to follow the 2nd one you posted from MAD. I'm stoked, got everything ordered I need down to every last part except the fuse.

I have a mega 320amp alternator that can do [email protected] to power everything, it works great so far! What size of fuse do you think I should use where it shows fusible links in the diagram? I went with 4 gauge welding cable for the negative stuff and 2 gauge for the positive stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Last edited by anguilla1980; Mar 20th, 19 at 07:16 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Alex

I went with Bussman 250amp bolt-in fuses and holders.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 06:05 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I skipped the fuses/breakers with the ford solenoid beings the wire is only hot during cranking.

I really should add one or the alternator charge wire though

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Alex

Yeah, I did one for alt to the solenoid, then solenoid to disconnect switch just like the diagram shows. I hate fusible links lol.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode