NVU Gauges - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

NVU Gauges

I recently installed the 69 Series NVU gauges in my 67 Camaro. I really like the look and functionality of them. Knowing the exact voltage, water temperature, oil pressure etc.. is what I was looking for and they work well. I am having problems getting the water temperature, fuel gauge, and speedometer to read more accurately though. The speedometer at lower speeds (below 45 mph is up to 5 mph off), but above that is spot on at freeway speeds. The temperature gauge is installed in the drivers side head (I have Dart aluminum heads if that makes a difference), and the Sniper temperature sensor I have installed in the intake manifold. At 200 degrees and below the Sniper and my NVU gauge read exactly the same but above 200 at the hottest I've let the car get the Sniper will read 217 and the NVU gauge will read 230 degrees. I bought a heat gun and verified that the Sniper is the gauge reading accurately. My fuel gauge, when the tank is full, bounces all over the place. It isn't until the fuel gets to around 1/2 tank that the gauge stops jumping around and sits still like it should. I also can't get it to read accurately. It reads over full at full tank and runs out of gas at 1/8 tank. I've had 2 different shops that specialize in this kind of installation and neither can figure it out. Does any one have any experience with these issues? I'm ok with the speedometer being off but it would be nice if it were accurate. The stock one worked perfectly. The analog water temperature gauge worked perfectly too that I had installed previously. I've tried reaching out to NVU but have never been able to contact them. I always get their answering machine and leave a message to have them call back which they have never done. I would never recommend buying NVU gauges to anyone based solely on their customer support. It is non existent. I would've bought Dakota Digital but at the time they didn't offer the Vintage look I was after.
DT likes this.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: NVU Gauges

Make sure everything is very well grounded including the gauges. Poor grounding of the gauges could possibly lead to what you are seeing. There may be a ground differential.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1969 Z28 factory air project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- sold
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 07:26 AM
Senior Tech

^^^, this and also what gauge wire did you run to the gauges for signal?

To big of a wire gauge adds resistance which may affect gauge reading. I am installing AutoMeter gauges and their instructions say use 18 gauge wire for the signal wires

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I'm not sure what size wire was used, I had them professionally installed. How can a wrong size wire affect speedometer readings only at low speeds? Or fuel gauge to only be erratic with a full tank? Tach. Oil, voltage are all perfect.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 08:10 AM
Senior Tech

Quality wire has its AWG printed on the wire....can you read it on the wire going to any of your senders for gauges? (10. 12, 14, 16, 18, etc)

To heavy a gauge of wire adds more resistance than the sender was designed to work with thus affecting readings

Since you did not do the installation and know what wire or how grounded....I suggest you discuss this with your "professional" installer..

....or your gauges could be...well not good.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

The installer does this for a living. Only auto electrical. He has reached out to NVU to no avail either. He has only installed Dakota Digital before though and has never had an issue he couldn't resolve.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Now that you mention the gauge issue. The only problem I'm having is with 1 gauge. Not the other. I'm going to keep trying to contact NVU. Someday they'll answer!

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 09:22 AM
Senior Tech

if its the gas gauge that is wonky....IIRC they need to be calibrated per vehicle. My friend just put one in and he had to adjust it, IIRC, by turning a screw on the back of the gauge until the needle pointed to full when he had a full tank.

IDK about how the NVU gauge is.....likely install instructions came with them if you have them that would say how to adjust the fuel gauge

The temp senders in head will read hotter than manifold but it typically is the most accurate source of what the water temp really is...in the heads which is the hottest it will be in a engine.

speedo....IDK but the gear in tranny needs to be right. IDK if the NVU ones require different gears but they shouldn't. If speedo was right with stock gauge you have the right gear in tranny
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

These particular gauges have no adjustment. NVU says their newer model does

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post

To heavy a gauge of wire adds more resistance than the sender was designed to work with thus affecting readings
I respectfully disagree. This is not correct. It is the exact opposite. Larger wire has less resistance.

Furthermore gauges donít use a lot of current and should be largely unaffected by wire gauge unless it is very small diameter wire used with the fuel sender.

Don
DT likes this.

1959 El Camino project

- sold
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Fuel gauge issue is most likely a sender grounding issue. At least that is where I would look.

Are all the body etc ground straps installed?

Don

1959 El Camino project

- sold
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 02:01 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
I respectfully disagree. This is not correct. It is the exact opposite. Larger wire has less resistance.

Don
My bad...I had it backwards (note to self...post AFTER coffee :-). But was trying to convey wire size could be affecting the signal being sent by sender.

Assuming wiring is correct, including solid grounds, than either the sender or gauge is corrupt. To much Teflon tape or thread sealer on senders can cause problems with the sender grounding. Yes typically the senders say to use Teflon tape on threads.....but one does not want to much
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

Your NVU experience matches mine pretty well. I didnít get in the weeds with the temp gauge but my fuel garage was a joke. The sender will control where on the gauge it falls but the bouncing is from having no suppression like a stock gauge. The gauge reacts as soon as the sender moves.

I had to call NVU for setting up the speedo with my LS3 swap. Guy was rude and told me that my new GMPP ECU was junk. I ended up figuring it out and ECU was fine. Also they shipped the wrong resister value. And of course the guy told me I didnít know how to use a multimeter. Got the right value resister and all fixed, I think that was with the tach.

Bottom line is NVU looks cool but theyíre junk and support was no where to be found.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
1967 R/T
1977 Power Wagon
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 19, 04:43 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

This thread is perfect timing for me. I'm experiencing the fuel gauge bounce ( NVU gauges) now as well with my LS Swap. Grounds are secure and I know I have enough of them LOL. I would think the ECM controls the speedo ?

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 19, 04:54 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
This thread is perfect timing for me. I'm experiencing the fuel gauge bounce ( NVU gauges) now as well with my LS Swap. Grounds are secure and I know I have enough of them LOL. I would think the ECM controls the speedo ?
I would conclude the fuel gage issue is gauge/sender quality related.

No ECM here. SBC with Sniper EFI. Op didnít indicate mechanical or electric speedometer.
DT likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525SOLD at Mecum 2018
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode