69 camaro tail light housing gasket placement? In or out? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By yellow69RS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

69 camaro tail light housing gasket placement? In or out?

I am installing LED tail lights on my 69. The old housing and lenses do not have a gasket. I ordered a new gasket set and new lenses as the old ones were cracked. My questions is, do the gaskets go between the housing and lens or do they go between the lens and the body/tail panel?

Dumb question, but it seems either answer is correct and the gasket between the housing and lens would be a tight, tight fit. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 02:42 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: 69 camaro tail light housing gasket placement? In or out?

On my 67, there's a foam/rubber gasket between the lens and housing.

The tail light housings on the 67 has 4 raised metal points that make contact with the metal body when they are bolted in. I had issues of no tail lights, turn signals, or back up lights working at one point. It was due to the car having a new paint job, and these 4 raised contact points of the til light assemblies were not making a good clean contact to the metal body to obtain ground. I ended up adding a home made ground strap on each tail light assembly inside the trunk compartment, using one of the tail light threaded screws/bolt to solve the problem.

I'd think if a gasket was used between the tail light housings and body, it may prevent this required ground contact, unless GM did something else after the 67 models.

The AIM (assembly instruction manual) for 69 would indicate gasket requirements and location.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 19, 09:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Gasket goes between the panel and the lens, nothing between the lens and housing on a 69. The sockets have their own grounds so the plastic housing doesn't need to contact metal like the 67. The gasket keeps the water out of the trunk.

Jeff
OUTarHeel likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 19, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

Excellent. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode