Side Post Battery - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 19, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Side Post Battery

I see the 78 series side post is the same size battery as the 34 top post

Anyone using a 78 series battery?

Going to replace battery cables with a new battery and would rather have a side post
69Z28 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 04:35 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Side Post Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post

Going to replace battery cables with a new battery and would rather have a side post
I'm running an Interstate MTP-78. My 69 Came with a side post battery so that's what I put back in it. At some point someone had chopped off the ends and put bolt on press fit replacement ends for a top post. I put OE replacement cables on it that were stamped etc. A little more expensive, but they still look great after a few thousand miles.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci 241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA
Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 06:01 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Have you looked at an Optima battery?

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...ear=4294829822

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
I'm running an Interstate MTP-78. My 69 Came with a side post battery so that's what I put back in it. At some point someone had chopped off the ends and put bolt on press fit replacement ends for a top post. I put OE replacement cables on it that were stamped etc. A little more expensive, but they still look great after a few thousand miles.
I would replace the battery cables with pre-made side post type. I like the ones made by IW. I have their cables on a side mount 78 in my Impala. They make custom lengths. Excellent quality and thicker cable.

I can get pre-made #4 cable ones in lengths good for my needs in 4 gauge for around $8 a cable but want heavier gauge wire so will go with Innovative Wiring ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
Have you looked at an Optima battery?

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...ear=4294829822
Not a fan of AGM batteries. Going with a lead/acid 78
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 01:44 PM
Tech Team
Chris

My local BJ's wholesale has a $10 discount on all Interstate batteries through April 10th. Just picked up a 78 side post for $79.99. A trial fit of a battery topper was excellent.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 03:25 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: Side Post Battery

My 69 always had side post battery factory coded Y77 albeit someone before me pulled the odd sized original cables used with it and replaced them with parts store normal side post sized cables and a new Delco freedom battery back in the early 80's. But I have always used a side post even though all the parts selectors tell you it's wrong for 69.

When it got hard to find Delco's I switched to AutoZone's DuraLast series 78-DLG. $150.00 ballpark, But there are also great looking and performing Delco reproduction R89 available in the $300.00 range so more than twice the price of AutoZones but look factory Delco with all the modern maintenance free convenience.

Antique Auto Battery - R89S-Delco Battery

https://www.batterycentralmall.com/B...pt/R79_HC.html

https://www.camarocentral.com/R89_De...ry_p/bat-2.htm

Or use a 24 or 60 series and use a plastic topper https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...ts/t70782.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 19, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Walmart has a 78, made by Johnson Controls, for $49. Ironically the top post battery the car came with is a Walwart (Johnson Controls) battery which is 6 years old

I bought these AC Delco cables based on length and 2 gauge wire. The + cable has heat wrap for the portion that runs along engine block from starter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

130fe and HawkX66 like this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 19, 08:58 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
The + cable has heat wrap for the portion that runs along engine block from starter.

Just throwing this out but if the wrap is conductive, maybe pull it back or trim it back so it does not become electrically hot from it being in contact with the crimped on terminal end.

The top is how it looks from the link you provided and then how the heat wrap would be if it was off of the terminal end and a tad of the black insulation was showing.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 19, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks SOA....the actual cable looks like pic #2. Heat wrap is about 2" away from eyelet
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 19, 06:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:

Going to do the same with my first week build 06A Z. Top post is on it's way out, and have the side post cables ready for installation. Just need the battery...thinking a Delco unit would be fine.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes
Console w/tach and gauges.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 19, 07:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Where do you guys attach power wires for cruise control, efi, stereo amps, etc... and keep the battery clean looking?

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic

Last edited by Duneit; Apr 18th, 19 at 03:59 AM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Got the new side post battery/cables in. The lengths I ordered turned out to be right for the stock frame battery cable clamps I used to secure + cable. Went with #2 vs #4 cable. I did bend the + eyelet on starter and core support connections to better clear anything

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 06:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Got the new side post battery/cables in. The lengths I ordered turned out to be right for the stock frame battery cable clamps I used to secure + cable. Went with #2 vs #4 cable. I did bend the + eyelet on starter and core support connections to better clear anything

What's the battery in your pic?

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes
Console w/tach and gauges.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 09:21 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duneit View Post
Where do you guys attach power wires for cruise control, efi, stereo amps, etc... and keep the battery clean looking?
When I had to add a main power wire to a side post battery, I would use these style adaptors:

Or I would use this style that are like a bolt threaded into another bolt:

On the above the shorter male threaded adaptor is probably designed for a single molded cable end while the longer ones reminds me of the setups for dual batteries and dual connections like in diesel applications.

Off of a side post adaptor, you can then run a wire to a fuse or circuit breaker and then to the device you are adding or one could run a short proper sized and routed wire to a fused distribution block to have it set up for something like a 20A draw for an audio amplifier, a 5A fuse for a cruise control, a 30A for a cooling fan relay, and so on.

Be aware though that if you start pulling a lot of excessive power off of the battery positive post, then at a point, the battery negative to chassis connection needs to be upgraded. Remember what you pull out also has to get back.

On a side post setup, do not try and "Cheap Out" by adding a ring terminal between the battery terminal face and the face of the cable end. The factory bolt may not be able to go in far enough to where one could pull threads out of the battery post. How the battery terminals and cable ends are designed is they are more sealed reducing the chances of corrosion and the added thickness of a ring terminal in the wrong spot now allows more of an exposed/open connection.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 04:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA-Nova View Post
When I had to add a main power wire to a side post battery, I would use these style adaptors:

Or I would use this style that are like a bolt threaded into another bolt:

On the above the shorter male threaded adaptor is probably designed for a single molded cable end while the longer ones reminds me of the setups for dual batteries and dual connections like in diesel applications.

Off of a side post adaptor, you can then run a wire to a fuse or circuit breaker and then to the device you are adding or one could run a short proper sized and routed wire to a fused distribution block to have it set up for something like a 20A draw for an audio amplifier, a 5A fuse for a cruise control, a 30A for a cooling fan relay, and so on.

Be aware though that if you start pulling a lot of excessive power off of the battery positive post, then at a point, the battery negative to chassis connection needs to be upgraded. Remember what you pull out also has to get back.

On a side post setup, do not try and "Cheap Out" by adding a ring terminal between the battery terminal face and the face of the cable end. The factory bolt may not be able to go in far enough to where one could pull threads out of the battery post. How the battery terminals and cable ends are designed is they are more sealed reducing the chances of corrosion and the added thickness of a ring terminal in the wrong spot now allows more of an exposed/open connection.

Jim
Thank you Jim,

I ended up using the top posts for my car and the side posts for my stereo, cruise, and efi. I am trying to make it as clean as I possibly can. I bought the adapters you first posted above. I have been slowly cleaning up the entire car from when we originally built this car.

Dave

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode