No brake lights or turn signals - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 19, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

No brake lights or turn signals

Tailights work, front parking lights work, new brake light switch. Brake lights do not work and neither does the turn signals. Power is good to the steering column. Inspection to the wiring harness seems good. I am thinking the turn signal switch could be the issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 19, 01:35 PM
Senior Tech
bob

Re: No brake lights or turn signals

Both sides of the car or only the left or right?

Check the fuses?

Does the front signal light work?

Have you tried putting on the emergency flashers?

Did you make sure you have 12vdc going into and out of the brake switch? Just because it's new doesn't mean it is good (and why was it replaced)?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 19, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

All lights work. 12v is going to the switch, replaced thinking it was the issue. Hazard only works on far right taillight and only bright burns and does not flash. Car was a project that I have finished and this is one of the final issues.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 19, 03:15 PM
Senior Tech
bob

Did you make sure the correct bulbs are installed, and they are known good?

With the 4-ways on, take a test light and check if there is voltage at each socket. Might want to do the same with the brake lights a well.

It also wouldn't hurt to make sure the flasher is good as well.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 19, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

All the bulbs in the car are correct and new. Sockets have power. I have no power from the wiring harness for the "bright" lights , yellow and green wires all the way to the fuse box. I believe the power goes from the steering column to the fuse box and then to the trunk. Flasher is tied to that as well. That would indicate turn signal switch is bad. . . .I think? What is your thoughts????
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 19, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Bruce, What year car? Won't hurt to change out the flasher if you have one can try.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Its a 69 and I did replace the flasher....now what. The right rear taillight flashes fast and not too bright with the hazard on. Only lamp that does that. I bought this car as a rolling chassis with boxes of new and used parts and receipts totally $18K. It has been a nightmare of a challenge to restore within budget for a client. This and the speedometer cable is all I have left then on to the next one!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 08:07 AM
Senior Tech
Lee

Try re-connecting the steering wheel column connector. It seems like the blinker/hazard switch is not getting the proper voltages from the blinker flasher and brake switch. If that doesn't work try back probing this same connector to verify brake voltage is present when you press the brakes and power from the blinker flasher is also present.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 10:35 PM
Senior Tech
John

Sounds like a grounding issue. (Without seeing the condition of your wiring harness.) Since you seem to have +12v power everywhere it is supposed to be, start by ensuring EACH ground point is solid. Even surfaces inside the connectors and sockets should be clean and brite. Nice clean painted metal makes as poor of a ground as a rusted corroded connection. Star washers under ring connectors can help to bite through paint. Ensure the braided cable connections between the chassis and body are clean and tight. Even the connectors themselves can be corroded above where the wire contacts the connector. A good Ohmmeter and a ground jumper wire can be your troubleshooting friend.....Jb

Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode