Normal Key-on Function of Temp Gauge - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tom

Normal Key-on Function of Temp Gauge

I have a 68 console gauge equipped Camaro and am wondering about the temp gauge function. Everything works properly with the gauge and the readings. It seems to perform very well and read accurately. What my concern is relates to the cold engine key-on before starting the engine The temp gauge has a propensity to violently move left and bang off the low post on the needle limiter. The needle hits hard enough to vibrate some before becoming steady. I recently changed over to a slide pin sender to make it correct appearing. The new sender behaves electrically identical to the nail head style I replaced. I have had my car for scores of years and can't recall seeing this behavior-but may have been doing this all along. I am concerned because of the potential rattling damage possibility. Mark C-any ideas?? Is this a normal behavior in others experience??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech
Pat

Garage
Re: Normal Key-on Function of Temp Gauge

A wild guess...you’re getting some sort if electric backfeed going through the temp gauge circuit. Maybe try making sure there’s a good solid connection between the negative battery cable and the block, and between the block and the unibody, and between the gauges and the unibody. Ground straps all there?

Pat - 68 Camaro Coupe -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tom

I think the connections are all good. I don't have any malfunction of the gauge or any other components. I thought about the resistor possibly- but since it functions and reads accurately I think all is well there too. Don't think any of the posts on the gauge are shorted to the mounting panel. The gauge just behaves like a Mantis shrimp when I key it on cold!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 06:47 PM
Senior Tech
Pat

Garage

I think the temp gauge circuit is fine, the checking/adding ground straps and all that would be to avoid some *other* circuit from using the temp sender+gauge as the easiest path to ground.

Pat - 68 Camaro Coupe -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tom

Thinking this is normal function-I don't want to go chasing problems that may not exist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode