AAW Classic Update Ground Question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By stamatisg1977
  • 1 Post By Shannon4570

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

AAW Classic Update Ground Question

Hoping someone can provide some guidance on grounds for the tail light harness. I installed the tail lights and side marker wiring along with the fuel sender and license plate light. Each side marker and tail light has a ground as well as the harness for the fuel and license plate light. The standard ground is on the trunk support upright. My original harness has the ground wire going back through the harness plug to the front of the car.

My questions are these:

What does everyone do we these multiple ground wires? Do you tie them together into one and ground at the upright?
Or do you ground the side markers separately and tie the tail lights together then ground at the upright?

I think AAW did it this way for the sake of ease but when compared to the factory harness it seems like there are many more actual grounds than the original. Also, the side marker grounds actually come with a starred ring connector which leads me to believe they expect me to use a sheet metal screw and ground them independently.

As always, thanks in advance.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 08:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

They all get connected to the latch support
130fe likes this.

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

Re: AAW Classic Update Ground Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamatisg1977 View Post
They all get connected to the latch support
So do most just stack the ring connectors or connect them all together with an inline connector, shrink wrap and then run one to the latch support?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 10:07 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon4570 View Post
So do most just stack the ring connectors or connect them all together with an inline connector, shrink wrap and then run one to the latch support?
I would only "stack" 2 at a time. Just my .02. Grounds are very important and you want good contact. I think it may look more professional as well. Again, just my .02

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
I would only "stack" 2 at a time. Just my .02. Grounds are very important and you want good contact. I think it may look more professional as well. Again, just my .02
I ended up putting them together within the harness, similar to what the factory did. Used split braid and some nylon wrap and everything is together and working so I guess I did it correctly. I ended up putting my one ground on the other side of the latch support as there was already a hole there. But now that I am thinking about it I wonder if this is the hole for the lock bracket
DT likes this.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 01:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

I ran everything to one point with a single black wire going from each side to a ring... each light got it's own branch.
Solder and shrink tube it all. Kinda like this...
L_L_L___O___L_L_l

Vince
69 Base Coupe "The Wrecker" Project -

67 rs/SS L48 4spd Convertible -
- SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode