Left turn signal always on???? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Left turn signal always on????

I am new here and recently purchased a mostly original 1969 SS 396 Auto car. I had a retro sound radio put in this week. Everything was fine before this. Now the left turn signal is always on even when the ignition is off. it constantly flashes on the dash and at the lamp. The right signal indicator does not work now. All the lights work properly when the car is running. the left signal just will not stop. Is this a possible ground issue? Is this a turn signal switch issue, or is this improper wiring on the radio install wiring? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 06:42 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage
Re: Left turn signal always on????

I would start by looking to see how the radio is geting power. Probably straight off the fuse panel. They might have jostled some wiring around enough that it is causing your issue. Maybe remove power from radio ans see if issue goes away. You could always pull one fuse at a time to see what circuit is causing the problem. Then at least you would know where to start troubleshooting.

69 Hugger Orange 396 M20 3:31
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

I would definitely suspect the radio installation. It is possible that you need to replace the turn signal and hazard flasher switch. That little metal looking cylinder that sticks out of the fuse box. But I would check all the fuses and the grounds first. Brian has the right idea to narrow down which circuit is causing the issue.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

BRICO69 and akxtreme thanks. I will look at those items tonight after work.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 02:58 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

I don't think this is going to be a ground issue. Sounds like a broken blinker/4-way switch that is stuck in left turn all the time. Somebody probably leaned on the lever to hard when they where extracting their self from under the dash.
satz28 and Legacy 69 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Check the position of the hazard switch button. It may just be jammed. Cycle it a few times.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 05:48 AM
Tech Team
boyd

Well, if you were over 70 you could just leave it blink, as us old guys never can hear if it's left on or not. The forever left turn.......very dangerous.
Yep, I bet they hit the signal arm when rolling around underneath the dash. If not, start isolating by removing each fuse and checking.
satz28 likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 06:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Quote:
Well, if you were over 70 you could just leave it blink, as us old guys never can hear if it's left on or not. The forever left turn.......very dangerous
30 MPH in the fast lane?

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

I took the radio out and put everything back the way it was. Still blinking. I did notice the turn signal switch has a crack in the plastic portion. I ordered another one to replace it to see if it helps. I removed the hazard light fuse and it stopped the flashing. I don't know a lot about electrical. Could the turn signal switch is broken be the problem now? Thanks again for all the help.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 10:08 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: Left turn signal always on????

The Turn signals and hazards aka 4-way all are in the steering column and are one single switch.
The Audio installation team could have jammed the turn signal lever and broken a brittle cancellation cam which usually shuts off the signals as you turn the wheel through the turn. Or banged into the hazard switch with a big shoulder and jammed or broken it in partial position.

I assume you tried moving the turn signal lever through neutral to right and back to neutral.
The behavior likely was that at right you got the right flashing and the left still flashing were they flashing in sync or at different rates?

If different rates your left issue is most likely the Hazard side of the equation.

If the left and right were beat on sync then the issue is the turn signal side of the equation.

Push and pulling on the hazard switch? Can you activate the hazards using the switch? Does it flash all the lights? does it stay depressed or the second you back off it stops - except the left?

Options - well you are going to have to pull the steering wheel which can be daunting first time. Just park the front wheels straight first.
The turn signal switch is plastic and they make "repair" cancel cam parts and kits but I find once you are in there time and energy wise replace the switch.
Luckily the Hazard switch is also part of the same turn signal switch so one and both done.

Not that it maters greatly but there was a design change in the connector located on the column beneath the dash. This connector is lovingly called the harmonica. When you look at it you will understand why. GM makes turn signal/Hazard switches that are generic to the straight or curved versions of the harmonica and most switches come with an adapter to accommodate either. And others are specific for your connection.

Warm and fuzzy's: As with any vehicle this old, look at your actual connector because just because you know you have a 69, you step up to the parts counter buy your part only to come home and find a PO had made a repair/maintenance/service change and used another years this or that. Save a back and forth exchange or an afternoon of had to change all this out to get back to factory 69.... Been there done that. We all have. So look first and then inspect the part you get at the counter and make sure everything you need is there and ready to go.

Easy project to do? Yeah in my experience it takes longer to pull the steering wheel so you can do the actual repair. Take pictures - lots of pictures at each step to reference when you put it all back together. Readers digest version, kill battery - most likely already done given your posting. Pull steering wheel - requires a wheel puller, most parts places will loan or rent you one or buy one for the toolbox. Watch out for the horn button spring. Like a retractable ballpoint pen spring it can fly. Disconnect the the harmonica connections for the old switch, unscrew the hazard button or knob. Remove the turn signal lever mounting screw, remove the turn signal screws, carefully unseat and remove the old switch and then reverse the process.

Lastly there were two suppliers back in the day and any car could have either switch if still original. Look at your hazard switch knob. some replacement 70 and 80's era have a small screw holding a funnel like knob, original knobs have embedded shaft that screws into the switch. Generally all are interchangeable but sometimes you find the ones with a screw need a little persuasion.

Brian
satz28 likes this.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message

Last edited by 69-Pace; Jun 1st, 19 at 10:19 AM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 10:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post
I don't think this is going to be a ground issue. Sounds like a broken blinker/4-way switch that is stuck in left turn all the time. Somebody probably leaned on the lever to hard when they where extracting their self from under the dash.
I totally agree with Blitzer454's assessment, look here. Ask me how I know.

Legacy 69
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

I already disassembled the steering column and have the harmonica connector ready to pull out. Fortunately, I helped my dad go through this process on my 71 Corvette Convertible years back. I Order the parts to replace the wiring and switch assembly. As for the lights, everything works properly except for the left signal always flashing. When I use the hazard lights or the turn signals they all work as well. The only noticeable difference is when I use my left turn signal it flashes quicker when I activate it. While it's constantly flashing it is a little slower than normal. If that made any sense. I will update once I replace the turn signal switch and wiring.

P.S. I spent more time changing my spelling thanks to this sights spelling and grammar checker than I did taking apart my steering column lol
69-Pace likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 02:01 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage

Souunds like your on the right track! Let us know what you find.

69 Hugger Orange 396 M20 3:31
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 19, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

I replaced the turn signal switch and signals work. Now my tail lights and brake lights wont work. However, they have sparaticly came on while I was troubleshooting. My headlights work and all turn signals and hazards but not tail lights, park lights or brake lights now. The headlights stopped working for a bit and if I wiggle the knob they would come on but nothing else would. I'm going to replace the headlight switch, but the rest will get addressed one wire at a time.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 19, 07:23 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: Left turn signal always on????

I would check the harmonica for loose connections for the brake and parking lights, then move to grounds for the headlight issue. If I remember right
1969 had a strange solution for the headlight ground since the carrier was plastic the body of the switch was pressed up against the back of the metal dash frame and if only a bit loose it was subject to fail to ground.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode