68 glovebox and courtesy wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Garage
Question 68 glovebox and courtesy wiring

Iím installing glovebox light and courtesy light harnesses in my 1968...which Iím pretty sure started life as a base model.

I donít see where they plug into the existing harness. Did I just not look hard enough, or are the connectors not there on a base model harness?

Iíve got no problem splicing in the new harnesses, I just donít want to do that if I donít have to.

Thx!
Pat

Pat - 68 Camaro Coupe -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 06:26 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: 68 glovebox and courtesy wiring

Pat - the glove box light power feed wire is part of the instrumentation harness and emerges by the heater blower plug. See page 446 of your 1968 AIM.

If your vehicle was not getting Z82 Deluxe Interior Group options the lead was often just tapped to the rest of the harness with black cloth tape, or sometimes just left exposed.

Of course someone long before you may have used it for CB radio, aftermarket tape deck or something else needing live power and cut the end off of it, spliced their device lead... now that device is long gone and the wire just cut?

You can always steal power for this light assembly from the cigarette lighter feed which is also part of the same harness.
Or all the new light assemblies I have seen for sale come with a Y adapter for piggy backing at the fuse panel spade of your choice - live, keyed, or just running power options.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Garage
Re: 68 glovebox and courtesy wiring

Thanks Brian!

Iíve got a clipped-off orange lead that is probably the one mentioned on pg 446. Seems like the simplest thing to do is just ditch most of the aftermarket harness and splice a little wire and the funky glovebox light socket terminal end onto that wire.

For the courtesy lights, I'm looking for a 2-position plug with the orange and white wires. The wiring diagram I have indicates there should be two orange and two white wires coming off the 10-position connector near the parking brake...and that second pair should have a plug on them that the courtesy harness plugs into. But, I only see one set of wires, which makes me think the plug was never included on the base harness.

Guess Iíll just tap into those orange and white lines and go from there.

Pat - 68 Camaro Coupe -

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 08:00 AM
Senior Tech

Re: 68 glovebox and courtesy wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman2 View Post
Guess Iíll just tap into those orange and white lines and go from there.
exactly what I did as my harness did not have the connector behind the DS kick panel
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 08:30 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: 68 glovebox and courtesy wiring

I think in my cluttered mind one door jam switch is dual post - Drivers I think but the other is single? Maybe only 69 for the key minder now that I ponder a bit. But in the AIM needless to say there is a stunning lack of where the additional lights get power. I assume also taped up someplace is not optioned. Toward the drivers side kick but just up under the dash in the area of the intermediate harness connector which runs to the rear of the vehicle under the door threshold. Here is a picture. Courtesy is on the upper left. Tape says Courtesy upside down. So it may be quite high up under the dash as it looks like it emerges with instrumentation.

As to the glove box yeah expose a little bit more of what you have left in the original harness and just cut off the long aftermarket lead ending with the valuable Y connector so throw that connector end in your spare parts box.

Brian

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode