Electrical gremlins - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

Electrical gremlins

K.....69 camaro. Fitech feul injection 572 bbc ,aaw wiring harness and tilt wheel with oem steering column .One day i realized that i had a dead battery. Changed it and realized all my gauge lights and my lcd screen for my feul injection were all on with the key off. Fired it up ran fine but went to shut it off and it kept running.disconected the battery....still ran. Had to pull the coil wire off to get it to stop. Anyone got a clue where i should be start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 11:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
steve

Re: Electrical gremlins

Are you running a one wire alternator? I had similar problems on my car, I stalled a relay in the circuit from the alternator. That solved the dead battery and not being able to shut it off. Were your gauges and screen lit up with the engine running or with it off? I would take the wire off the alternator and see if the problem goes away.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

I have a three wire 100 amp alt. Disconected it and still couldnt turn the car off. Lights in dash and gauges are on all the time as long as the battery is connected.its like the key never shuts off.

Last edited by chevysrule454; Jun 23rd, 19 at 12:49 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 12:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
steve

Are your gauges ignition and screen connected to a circuit that is controlled by the ignition switch?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

Yes supposed to all shut down completely when key is turned off. But surprisingly my stereo does go off when the key is shut off
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 12:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
steve

It's getting power from somewhere, it may be a switch or a back feeding issue. Check all of your grounds.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

Should i be replacing my key tumbler in my steering column. I will for sure check grounds.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 01:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
steve

It is not likely the tumbler, the switch is down the column from the tumbler activated by a rod. It could be bad or out of adjustment , the stereo working correctly from the key makes me think that your issue is in the power feed or possibly back feeding. Verify that your power source for your ignition, gauges, and screen is controlled by the ignition switch
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 01:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
steve

Are you running MSD? Some of them require a diode by the regulator
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 02:00 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

Disconnecting the battery while the alternator is turning is a big no no. The alternator will start to generate voltage spikes upwards of 100V and as you discovered it won't turn off the engine anyway because the alternator will keep it alive. That said most modern electronics have protection built in to prevent damage in case this happens so hopefully you did no harm. But even that protection is limited so be careful.

I would look at the ignition switch next as others have stated it may not be working and letting the voltage get through to the ignition wire. With key off probe the ignition switch connector, the red wire is hot, brown wire is ACC, pink is IGN, purple goes to the starter solenoid, and green is ground. The only wire that should have a voltage with key off is the red one. I suspect you will find that the pink and/or brown wire are hot when they should not be. If so then disconnect the connector and probe again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 02:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
steve

I don't believe he disconnected the battery while the car was running, He unhooked the alternator and started it to see if it changed anything. Hopefully this is all helpful.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 03:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevysrule454 View Post
K..... Fired it up ran fine but went to shut it off and it kept running.disconected the battery....still ran.
Yes, he did disconnect the battery....

Brett....

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 04:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
steve

You are correct. I never went back to first post after he started working on it.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 19, 05:57 PM
Tech Team
Kevin

Can you reproduce it just going to ignition but not starting the car and then turn it off and remove the key? When you do this do the gauges stay on etc? Has it ever not killed the battery while sitting since putting in the aaw harness? Where did you hook your main aaw feed to?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 19, 06:07 PM
Tech Team
Kevin

Read this also. Might want to give aaw a call also. I did the classic update over the winter and they were easy to work with when I had a few questions and issues.

https://www.americanautowire.com/vie...-shut-off-why/
Everett#2390 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode