Some questions (fan, power windows, sending unit, gauge) - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Zdenek

Some questions (fan, power windows, sending unit, gauge)

Hi, i have some problems with wiring (Camaro 67 396).

I bought classic update AAW + RS wiring, everything is ok but, i have few questions:

1. Temperature sending unit and fan relay "which one should I buy?" i have Be Cool electrict fan (on picture)

2. Can I connect it like this 3. (wiring temp u. to gauge and fan to oragne wire) or 4. (Temp. unit to console gauge and temp. unit to relay and temp. unit to fan) ... is it better turn on fan at all times or just at a certain temperature?

3. Oil sending unit is "wiring" with tube (2.)? I have OER Console gauge (5.). Which one (oil sending unit) should I buy or is this only engine - tube - console gauge without sending unit
?
4. I have original power windows wiring, how i connect to AAW? Power windows wiring have orange cable (2 lines) one goes to 30A Circuit breaker but second ? And pink? From relay is directly to power + ?

5. can I take the 30A Circuit breaker from power windows for example inside kick panel? On firewall is ugly

I can buy from Summit, Ricks, ebay ect.

Thank you very much for help

Zdenek ... czech rep.

Chevy Camaro 67 396 RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Some questions (fan, power windows, sending unit, gauge)

Quote:
Temperature sending unit and fan relay "which one should I buy?"
If you are going to use an electric temperature gauge you need the correct sending unit and factory wiring for that sending unit (spade or bayonet). For an electric fan you need a manual on/off as well as the factory temp controller that usually comes with the fan and is inserted into the fins in the radiator. A manual on/off can save the battery when you know you are parking it for a while. (convective heat in the motor can circulate water through the radiator with everything off, and the radiator will shed radiant heat while off).

Quote:
Oil sending unit is "wiring" with tube (2.)? I have OER Console gauge (5.). Which one (oil sending unit) should I buy or is this only engine - tube - console gauge without sending unit
Bit confusing. Factory original oil pressure gauge was mechanical (used eighth inch plastic tube from motor to gauge). If your console gauge is factory, or a clone of it, it should also be a mechanical gauge. I favor mechanical gauges as they always work even with the power off; but the factory temperature gauge was electric.

Quote:
I have original power windows wiring, how i connect to AAW? Power windows wiring have orange cable (2 lines) one goes to 30A Circuit breaker but second ? And pink? From relay is directly to power + ?
Factory power windows and power top on a convertible used a separate sub harness (not normally supplied with a factory replacement harness) to power and control them. Talk to AAW about your needs.

Quote:
can I take the 30A Circuit breaker from power windows for example inside kick panel? On firewall is ugly
You can place anything anywhere in the car if you know basic DC circuits (Know basic wiring, and have a few simple tools). The longer the wire is in a DC circuit the bigger it must be in diameter to prevent voltage drop. So if you move it (add more than 4-5 feet of wire) it has to have a bigger wire.

Big Dave
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Zdenek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
If you are going to use an electric temperature gauge you need the correct sending unit and factory wiring for that sending unit (spade or bayonet). For an electric fan you need a manual on/off as well as the factory temp controller that usually comes with the fan and is inserted into the fins in the radiator. A manual on/off can save the battery when you know you are parking it for a while. (convective heat in the motor can circulate water through the radiator with everything off, and the radiator will shed radiant heat while off).

Bit confusing. Factory original oil pressure gauge was mechanical (used eighth inch plastic tube from motor to gauge). If your console gauge is factory, or a clone of it, it should also be a mechanical gauge. I favor mechanical gauges as they always work even with the power off; but the factory temperature gauge was electric.

Factory power windows and power top on a convertible used a separate sub harness (not normally supplied with a factory replacement harness) to power and control them. Talk to AAW about your needs.

You can place anything anywhere in the car if you know basic DC circuits (Know basic wiring, and have a few simple tools). The longer the wire is in a DC circuit the bigger it must be in diameter to prevent voltage drop. So if you move it (add more than 4-5 feet of wire) it has to have a bigger wire.

Big Dave

Thank you Dave, you helped me a lot. I have one more question. Because i have water temp. console gauge and electric fan I'll probably need two units one temp. sending unit for console gauge and second temperature control sending unit for fan. Could you advise me where to place them?

Thank you.

Chevy Camaro 67 396 RS

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Sending unit for the gauge goes in the head, or intake manifold at the outlet.

For the fan it it is a bulb of mercury that trips a switch (switch is at the end of capillary tube, but I don't know how long the tube is so I can not advise were to put it). Bulb is forced between the cross over tubes in the radiator core between the fins.

Big Dave
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 01:38 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:

For the fan it it is a bulb of mercury that trips a switch (switch is at the end of capillary tube, but I don't know how long the tube is so I can not advise were to put it). Bulb is forced between the cross over tubes in the radiator core between the fins.

Big Dave
The type of fan controller temp sensor varies widely with the chosen controller. Some have a sensor which needs to be in the coolant, some have a sensor which installs in the radiator fins.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Zdenek

Quote:

Big Dave

I choose between these two units

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...2050/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...0111/overview/

Chevy Camaro 67 396 RS
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 03:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Do you have the part number for the wiring kit you bought? I think you need to know whether you purchased a wiring harness that is for a temperature gauge or a temperature light. This is going to dictate which sensor you purchase. It sounds like you have gauges.

AAW Wiring harness with warning lights - CA97659

AAW Wiring Harness with gauges - CA97663

If you are already past this part and are just looking for a sending unit for your set up, the two you chose are both "screw in" to the coolant. The one I listed below is one that locates outside of the coolant system.

Summit Temperature sending unit

Brett....

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue

Last edited by Brettallen59; Jun 30th, 19 at 03:50 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Zdenek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
Do you have the part number for the wiring kit you bought? I think you need to know whether you purchased a wiring harness that is for a temperature gauge or a temperature light. This is going to dictate which sensor you purchase. It sounds like you have gauges.

AAW Wiring harness with warning lights - CA97659

AAW Wiring Harness with gauges - CA97663

If you are already past this part and are just looking for a sending unit for your set up, the two you chose are both "screw in" to the coolant. The one I listed below is one that locates outside of the coolant system.

Summit Temperature sending unit

Brett....

Hi Brett,

i have this wiring kit Classic update https://www.americanautowire.com/sho...1967-68-camaro

and this is my radiator, do you think it is better probe or screw-in for my use?

Chevy Camaro 67 396 RS
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 08:23 AM
John

Garage

Part #32050 is to be used with the flexilite fan control.

Part #30111 is universal to turn on fans using a relay.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 09:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Zdenek, Me personally would prefer to use the screw-in. It was just if you couldn't use them was the other option. It was hard for me to determine, but it appears your harness is compatible with the screw-in type. It did not say in the description. If it were me, I would choose this one:

Summit Electric Fan Thermostat Kit

This is the one I used in my 72 Chevelle, 454 with 6-71 Blower. It is more expensive, but it has a lot more control;
Ligenfelter Temperature Based Relay Controller

Do you have gauges other than your oil pressure gauge? Are they stock gauges in a console in between the seats?

Brett.....

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue

Last edited by Brettallen59; Jun 30th, 19 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Edit
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Zdenek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
Zdenek, Me personally would prefer to use the screw-in. It was just if you couldn't use them was the other option. It was hard for me to determine, but it appears your harness is compatible with the screw-in type. It did not say in the description. If it were me, I would choose this one:

Summit Electric Fan Thermostat Kit

This is the one I used in my 72 Chevelle, 454 with 6-71 Blower. It is more expensive, but it has a lot more control;
Ligenfelter Temperature Based Relay Controller

Do you have gauges other than your oil pressure gauge? Are they stock gauges in a console in between the seats?

Brett.....

Brett,

I have three options to place sending unit (1/2NPT) 1st. engine head driver side (here I would like to place temp. sending unit for gauge) 2nd. engine head pas. side 3rd. on intake next to engine thermostat (edelbrock) or use probe kit, if I use screw-in i need only sending unit because i my coutry same relays cost much less (max. 2 dolars each) wiring I'll make myself, its easy.

I have original console gauges between seats Fuel, Water, Oil, Voltage and Clock

There is diagram AAW classic update - fan and water temp unit

Chevy Camaro 67 396 RS
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 10:49 AM
Team Member
Don

Put the sensor anywhere it is convenient and you should be fine. No need to overthink this imho, you donít need control accuracy within a fraction of a degree.....

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 02:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Don is right. Just put it where it is convenient for you to access it to install it and run a wire to it. It's just going to turn the fan on, correct?

Brett...

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 19, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Zdenek

thank you all, all the problems are solved, you are the best!!!! I am still thinking which.. probe or screw-in

1. temp. sending unit for fan: I want to buy Mishimoto https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...robe/overview/ (have a probe and with a screw-in) probe is cleaner and won't see, screw-in will probably be more accurate. And temp. sending unit for gauge: i want to buy original part from the ricks

2. Will be solved with this kit,

3. oil sending unit I took the original from the ricks

4. answer from AAW: "To use the power window circuit as designed, you can connect the pink to an "Ignition" terminal on the accessory connector such as "power windows", and connect the orange to the red "Battery" terminal in the accessory connector or out to the original circuit breaker. I'm not sure what the second orange wire is that you have because the factory power window blueprint does not show it."

Chevy Camaro 67 396 RS
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 04:23 AM
Tech Team
JB

1. Youíve got lots of great information here. Thought I just throw in my two cents.
My Cold Case radiator came with a screw-in temperature sender type sensor that Iíve installed in the head of my car (could be the manifold) Ė apparently the preferred set up for this radiator company. But I agree, itís not a critically accurate on/off point as long as it works reliably to keep the engine cool at the right temperature.

Last edited by candyandjb; Jul 4th, 19 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode