69 Camaro Fuse Panel short right side - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

Thumbs down 69 Camaro Fuse Panel short right side

Hey guys
I have a short in my 69 Camaro fuse panel on the right side. The wiper fuse immediately blows, and all of the fuses on the right side of the panel have a dead short... the left side prong for the wiper fuse shows more resistance than any of the other ones on that side. While using a multimeter I can put the positive lead to a fuse on the left side of the panel that has 12V active, and can touch any of the fuses on the right side with the negative (black) lead on the multimeter and get a full 12.6V reading..which is not good...basically all the fuses on the right can be used as a ground...meaning a "dead short". Can anyone give me an idea on where to start, or how to identify where in the heck the dead short is that would cause all of the fuses on the right side to be a negative ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 19, 04:01 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: 69 Camaro Fuse Panel short right side

Well you can carefully remove the fuse panel and inspect the rear side of it and the bulkhead connection.
Your issue is likely on the panel side but could be an issue on the bulkhead connector.

At 50 years old now the insulation on factory wiring harnesses can become brittle and disintegrate without warning.
Rodents also like the taste of factory insulation.

The panel itself may have rusted away on a key connection. If you see surface rust on the fuse clips you will also have it on the rear sided where your leads connect.

Only one supplier sells the fuse panel alone, and it is a daunting task to change out the connections on the rear, most find it easier to replace the entire harness actually.
Some go factory style, others modernize with blade style fuse panels. But with either you get peace-of-mind that the entire wiring harness is new and safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode