67 Camaro keeps dying - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

67 Camaro keeps dying

My 67 base model with 350 keeps dieing on me. I will be driving along and I notice the aftermarket radio turns off and the gen light goes dark, moments later the car will die. It runs great with a full charged battery. I have replaced the voltage regulator, battery, alternator, pulled out the ignition plug and cleaned. Ohmed out the wire from the alternator to the splice, fuseable link to voltage regulator, splice to battery. The back tail light wires are newer no shorts there. I don’t want to do the whole wire harness so I’m posting here to see if I’m overlooking something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 04:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

re: 67 Camaro keeps dying

I have the same problem. The spades on the wires to the horn relay get a little corroded on occasion. Just pull off and re insert. Good to go for a couple of years.

Rick
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 07:45 AM
R66
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: 67 Camaro keeps dying

On our 50+ year old cars, corrosion is the most common problem in the electrical system.

Grounds: I recommend you clean all of the ground connections where they bolt to the engine, body, and frame. I clean the lugs and frame / body area with 180 grit sand paper and then apply NO-OX to both surfaces before bolting the connection back using new star washers. The conductor from the battery to the body (fender) is a common problem as well as those at the voltage regulator and horn relay. Many times the braided ground conductors from the body to the engine and frame are eliminated with a engine swap as they are a PIA and unsightly - NOT a good idea in my opinion.

Capacitors: These are needed only if you play the original radio on AM. These capacitors fail over time due to internal construction and can cause a short to drain the battery. The only capacitor needed (in stock wiring) is internal to the distributor to the points.

Firewall connector to fuse box: Remove the connectors and clean any corrosion from the pins. Lightly coat with NO-OX and reinstall.
Charging system: If you charge the battery and it runs fine until the battery gets low, you have bad diodes in the alternator or a bad voltage regulator. Use you multimeter to check for voltage draw when the engine is off and all accessories are off.

Bolted positive 12v connections: These corrode at the starter, alternator, horn relay, etc. They may work with a fully charged battery, but fail when the voltage gets low. You still need to find why the charging system is not keeping the battery fully charged.

At this point, you need to start testing each circuit for a short. Pulling the fuses and doing ohm tests and amp draw tests.

The only answer to your problem is slow meticulous troubleshooting and maintenance of the electrical system.

Good luck.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Thanks man, I Saw the horn relay in the diagram then my car but haven’t messed with it yet. And the connectors to the fuse block at the firewall are in sad shape. You made a lot of sense thanks again for replying. I’ll go through it and hopefully report back with good news.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 09:11 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Have you checked to see if the system is charging? I had a new re-man alternator that was junk
from the get go. If you doubt the alternator at all take it to a parts store for testing. Beyond that
check all connections as has been said. What do you mean by "ignition plug"?

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 11:10 AM
Apprentice

I had a similar issue. Turns out the new alternator was junk. Run a meter on it for a period of time and see if there are any fluctuations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode