67 Front signal light issue - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 67moke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

67 Front signal light issue

Hey guys,

Almost finished my 8 year resto on my 67 Camaro. I've managed to get all of my lights working, headlights, hi/low, brake lights, hazards, even the dash lights and licence plate light. Heck, even the horn works!

But I'm struggling with my right front turn signal. I thought maybe the flasher module was bad, the right one didn't work and would flash rapidly, errantly, and very weakly if at all. But just the right front turn signal.

So, I just replaced the old flasher with a new electronic 552 heavy duty one (and get a nice solid CLICK when the turn signals are on - sounds great). Left side works no problem, left front flashes evenly and nice and bright, as does the left rear signal.

But if I turn on the right turn signal, the right front blinks more evenly now (seems the flasher module has fixed the rapidness and irregularity), but it is still very weak (dim) compared to the left. And - the left front ALSO comes on too, (also weakly), so it looks like the front hazards are on (but dim) Right rear signal works just fine.

The hazards work, but again, the left flashes strong and bright, but the right side is dim and weak.

The battery is fully charged, the grounding on the right side signal looks clean and tight. Any ideas? I just can't figure out why the left front signal bulb lights up when the RIGHT turn signal is on? Bad switch, maybe?

67 Yenko Tribute in progress...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 07:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: 67 Front signal light issue

Bad ground on right side. The left comes on dim because it's trying to find a ground.

Get a Jumper wire and connect it to a known good ground like the battery. if you can access the base of the bulb while it's in the socket touch the jumper there and see if the light get brighter. if so then try at the socket where the wires come out, if bright there go to the attachment point of the ground wire and check it there. if not bright at the socket the sockets bad.

Jeff
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Hmm. That makes sense. I'll give that a shot - thanks Jeff.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 19, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Jeff - you sir, are a genius. Ground wire to the battery and touched to the socket fixed the problem. Upon further inspection where the ground wire is riveted to the light housing is loose. I was working the other end where it connects to the firewall, didn't think to check the riveted end. At least now I know the issue. Thanks for your help, Jeff. Cheers!
yellow69RS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode