Parking lights turn off when headlights turn on - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Christian

Parking lights turn off when headlights turn on

Just bought a '68 SS on Friday and noticed all the parking lights turn on when pulling the light switch to the first position, but when the switch is pulled all the way, the headlights come on but the front parking lights turn off. I installed a new light switch but no dice. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 01:35 PM
Team Member
Darin

Re: Parking lights turn off when headlights turn on

Pretty sure that's how they are stock.

When you upgrade to the AWW harness it mentions that and gives you an option to wire them to stay on with the headlights,seems like there was another option to come on whenever the key is in run also.
it's been awhile since I wired mine.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 02:03 PM
Team Member
Darin

Check out this schematic
Read #3
https://www.americanautowire.com/vie...uit-functions/

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 02:56 PM
Senior Tech

my 67 lights work as post # 1. "fog lights" & turn signals (brighter) when switch is pulled to 1st position but they go off when headlights are on but work as turn signals. My understanding is this is "normal"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 03:01 PM
Tech Team

Had same trouble on my 69 and i thought that was the way it should be untill i looked at some other cars and saw that they should be on with headlights. Problem was the light assembly did not have a good ground. On a 69 they have studs to attach light to the lower valence with nuts. Make sure you have a good ground thru this stud and nut. Factory nut has star washers on the nuts for this reason
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
Christian

Thanks for the schematic and the replies guys! I don't see how the switch separates the front and back parking lights. Remember, only the front ones turn off on the headlight position, the rear ones are always on. Even if it is normal, I would much prefer wiring the system so they stay on as it looks much better.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 10:28 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I don't have a 68 Camaro wiring diagram but on a 67 Chevy II wiring diagram, this setup also has the front parking lights turning off when the headlights are on with the rears staying on and then when the headlight switch is pulled halfway out and the headlights not on, both the front and rear parking lights are on.

The link provided above to the aaw wiring shows a purple not used in the aaw harness but below in the 67 chevy II diagram is shows a purple off of the headlight switch going just to the front parking lights.

SOOOOO, see if you have a purple wire at the headlight switch and see if it indeed goes to the front parking lights (and maybe do a voltage check with the headlight switch in the different positions). If they do I would think you could then disconnect the purple from the headlight switch and join it with the brown rear parking light wire.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 11:09 AM
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage

I dealt with my light switch a few weeks ago (1967).

There is a pin on the switch that is un-used in factory configuration.

I don't recall every detail, but you certainly can use that pin to keep the park lights on with the headlamps if it's important to you.

As noted though, the park lights turn off when headlights turn on if you have factory wiring configuration.

I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode