2-Wire Harness to 4-Wire Alternator Adapter? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage
2-Wire Harness to 4-Wire Alternator Adapter?

I bought the CVF Racing Wraptor Serpentine belt kit. It came with new A/C, P/S, water pump, and Alternator. Well, I have a compatibility problem and I might have to stay with my old alternator. The old one has a two-wire connector and a "Battery" terminal. The new alternator has no stud terminal for the battery and the connector location has four pins. Is there an adapter to convert one into another, or am I going to have to stick with my old alternator?

Holy Crap! Could this really be it?! I searched and this is the first thing that popped up. Summit Racing

Thanks!

Brett......

Rockets Up In 2020!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue

Last edited by Brettallen59; Aug 25th, 19 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 02:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Re: 2-Wire Harness to 4-Wire Alternator Adapter?

Hey Brett... I'm gonna follow this one because the serpentine kit I bought is supposed to arrive Wednesday and although its probably a different setup, it included everything (compressor, alternator, short water pump, and PS pump). So now I'm anxious to see what the electrical connections will look like, bc the alternator will be on the driver's side so some wiring will be in order LOL.

I see what looks like one of those Corvette-style GM fuel filter/regulators in the pix above. Are you running an EFI setup? Or is that something else? BTW, I see the OEM shroud... are you sticking with some sort of water pump connected fan or are you going to an eFan?

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

My car is an SS396 car, and the fuel filter is supposed to be correct for my car. My serpentine kit is also moving my alternator to the D/S and moving my Vintage air over to the P/S. I bought some smaller lines for the movement and shortening of my A/C lines. My kit also came with a P/S unit that had a remote reservoir, but I did not want that type, so I had to dish out another $180 for the P/S unit I wanted. CVF said they were concerned about room, but I put it all together and I have just barely enough to use an attached reservoir.

Brett......

Rockets Up In 2020!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 05:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I think you are looking for a 10SI to CS130 alternator plug harness. There are cheaper ones on EBay but here is one at Summit. Make sure you upgrade your charging wire (one on stud) to with 4 or 6 AWG.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...SABEgLj5_D_BwE

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 07:38 PM
Tech Team
Pete

Garage

The adapter you found at Summit will work fine. One thing to note is that depending on which gauge setup you have you might need one with a built in resistor. I found the adapter for my CVF system on eBay. I'm running the original upgraded harness that has an 8 gauge charging wire along with a 4 gauge that goes directly to a separate power connector for my air ride, vintage air and stereo - everything that's demands a large amount of current. Your battery shouldn't need more than the 8 or 10 gauge harness wire as your battery will fare better on a slower charge.

Last edited by 68lowered; Aug 25th, 19 at 08:24 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lowered View Post
I found the adapter for my CVF system on eBay. I'm running the original upgraded harness that has an 8 gauge charging wire along with a 4 gauge that goes directly to a separate power connector for my air ride, vintage air and stereo - everything that's demands a large amount of current. Your battery shouldn't need more than the 8 or 10 gauge harness wire as your battery will fare better on a slower charge.
Pete,
Where exactly do you run this wire? Is it the same wire that was the one that went to "Battery" on the older alternator? And just follow that back to where it went and run a larger wire?

Thanks,
Brett.....

Rockets Up In 2020!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 08:09 PM
Tech Team
Pete

Garage

I have two pass-thru connectors on the passenger side firewall - one grounded to the battery and one to the alternator output terminal. The power side has a breaker that also connects it to the battery so if needed, I can run the stereo full power when the engine isn't running. The accessories connect to them inside the passenger compartment. From there, I have a 4 gauge connection to my power amp under the passenger seat and an 8 gauge power wire that goes to a fuse panel in the trunk.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 07:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
My car is an SS396 car, and the fuel filter is supposed to be correct for my car. My serpentine kit is also moving my alternator to the D/S and moving my Vintage air over to the P/S. I bought some smaller lines for the movement and shortening of my A/C lines. My kit also came with a P/S unit that had a remote reservoir, but I did not want that type, so I had to dish out another $180 for the P/S unit I wanted. CVF said they were concerned about room, but I put it all together and I have just barely enough to use an attached reservoir.

Brett......

Brett...

What radiator and fan combo are you running with the serpentine setup? I still haven't unboxed my Serpentine kit, but I've removed the radiator, fan, water pump, alternator, and PS pump/tank. Then I started touching up a few chips in the orange paint lol. For those curious, I'm using Duplicolor ceramic engine enamel #1620, I masked off a few areas after a thorough cleaning and wipe down with prep sol. For the "dab" areas I spray some paint in the cap and wait until it thickens up a little then apply with a 1/4" artists brush. Duplicolor makes two chevy oranges, the #1620 is supposedly correct for our engines. The #1605 is darker, I think it's for engines like the Tri-Fives.

I'm still wondering if there's a way to use a single or dual eFan with my BBC curved neck radiator. Don't think I can use the flex fan that I had been using. Once I get the new water pump, pulley, and bridge bracket mounted I'll see how much room is left, then decide on where to go with the radiator/fan combo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7792.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	228935  

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 10:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

American auto wire has a few.

https://www.americanautowire.com/sho...onversion-kits

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57vette View Post
Brett...

What radiator and fan combo are you running with the serpentine setup? I still haven't unboxed my Serpentine kit, but I've removed the radiator, fan, water pump, alternator, and PS pump/tank. Then I started touching up a few chips in the orange paint lol. For those curious, I'm using Duplicolor ceramic engine enamel #1620, I masked off a few areas after a thorough cleaning and wipe down with prep sol. For the "dab" areas I spray some paint in the cap and wait until it thickens up a little then apply with a 1/4" artists brush. Duplicolor makes two chevy oranges, the #1620 is supposedly correct for our engines. The #1605 is darker, I think it's for engines like the Tri-Fives.

I'm still wondering if there's a way to use a single or dual eFan with my BBC curved neck radiator. Don't think I can use the flex fan that I had been using. Once I get the new water pump, pulley, and bridge bracket mounted I'll see how much room is left, then decide on where to go with the radiator/fan combo.
Mike,
Here are some pics from yesterday. I originally had a long water pump, so this short water pump that the Wraptor came with changed up my OEM clutch fan setup location. I purchased 1" & 1-1/2" Derale fan spacers, not knowing which would put the fan in the correct location. Once I had the kit installed, I tried installing the fan and I could not get it on with the radiator in place, so I had to pull it. Then I discovered that with the pulley thickness, neither provided bolt length would work. In the end, the 1" spacer with 2-1/2" long 5/16-24 bolts is what I used and what you see in the final setup. I was able to use the attached reservoir pump that I purchased separately. I had to purchase the stainless extension that brought the power steering connection out around the rear of the pump. Today I am going to make up the power steering line with Earls Power Steering Hose and these fittings Here . I am getting closer!

Brett......

Rockets Up In 2020!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode