Which switch is whitch...... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
stan

Which switch is whitch......

Have my fuse box separated to look for voltage drop at the source, cleaning all the terminals ,contact cleaner ,corrosion X, was looking to find out how hard it would be to replace my wire running to the ignition source terminal at the box, and where does it run from?.
69 camaro original small block car, and should I use the next size wire for less voltage drop at the box.
Basically where does the box get its juice from for the 12v ignition/run terminal.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thamks,
Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 03:29 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Re: Which switch is whitch......

Believe gets power from horn relay on radiator brace left of radiator fill hose. Size #8 or #10. In that short of distance you're not gonna have a voltage drop unless the wire is damaged or ends are corroded.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
stan

Just un taped the harness going from box towards passenger side, found a huge area of shaved wire on the large purple wire,pretty sure it leads to starter,as well as a cut orange going to nothing,,looks to be 12gauge,lines up with pole X C any ideas?

Last edited by BOOGIES; Aug 26th, 19 at 04:40 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
stan

Whch switch is whitch......

Any links to how to remove the blade connectors out of the box, trying to change starter wire, has a split blade looking connector, would rather do it the correct way.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: Whch switch is whitch......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOGIES View Post
Any links to how to remove the blade connectors out of the box, trying to change starter wire, has a split blade looking connector, would rather do it the correct way.
This blade connector you are asking about, is it the connectors in the bulkhead connector in the frontside of the fuse block ?.

This is the engine side of the bulkhead connector and these terminals are males. If these are the ones, let us know.

I don't know how you are measuring voltage drop but if you take a measurement under the hood with the meter negative on the battery and then later check voltage under the dash and move the meter negative to a spot under the dash you will not know if you have a voltage drop on the positive side or the negative ground side. You might see a lower voltage but it may not be on the power side but on the ground side.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
stan

Jim, that's the terminals I'm referring to, the wire from my starter to the bulkhead box was damaged,measuring voltage at the battery was 12.8, under ignition load 11.6, at the box inside the car on the ignition terminal it would drop to considerably less, 10.7 and less.
I need a strong ignition/run connection that will continue voltage without as much loss.
I'm changing the starter wire which I believe is 10 gauge, I found an orange wire coming from the passenger block that was cut with nothing attached to it leading to terminal X C on the block,,I have the box separated and just need some advice as to which way to go and what to look for.
Could also use advice on where to purchase new connections, thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOGIES View Post
Jim, that's the terminals I'm referring to, the wire from my starter to the bulkhead box was damaged,measuring voltage at the battery was 12.8, under ignition load 11.6, at the box inside the car on the ignition terminal it would drop to considerably less, 10.7 and less.
I need a strong ignition/run connection that will continue voltage without as much loss.
I'm changing the starter wire which I believe is 10 gauge, I found an orange wire coming from the passenger block that was cut with nothing attached to it leading to terminal X C on the block,,I have the box separated and just need some advice as to which way to go and what to look for.
Could also use advice on where to purchase new connections, thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
You would have to look around but below is where one can pinch the connector together to then allow it to be removed from the plastic housing.

One could also just cut the connector with a good set of side cutters if the terminal was no longer being used:

While the above pictures are showing the 2971962 connector it is for use with a 14-16 gauge wire. Offered are others that will work with a larger or smaller gauge wire but I don't have those part numbers.

I doubt you may be able to buy just one and they may come in lots of 5 or 10. It depends on the supplier.

Once the new end is crimped onto the wire, the terminal gets pushed into the slot and then the one part of the tab pops out and locks it into the plastic housing. You may look to see if all of the others have the tabs going one way and if they are put the new one in the same fashion.

As far as your voltages, measuring your 12.8 at the battery and then having it drop to 11.6 under ignition load may be fine but now when you measured the voltage at 10.7 or less at the box inside the car on the ignition terminal, did you leave the meter ground where it was on the other two tests like at the battery or did the meter ground also get moved to under the dash for the third measurement ?. If it did, the measurement of 10.7 could be a voltage drop on the power side and/or a voltage drop on the return ground path back to the battery. You need to keep the ground at the battery for a reference point. Moving it around can have you thinking it's a power delivery issue but it may be that by itself but could also be an issue due to poor grounds.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 09:04 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Those connectors are often referred to as packard 56 so you may want to search for that.
I normally use Del City but they don't list any for 12 gauge. Waytek Wire is another supplier.
They require a really good crimping tool.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
stan

Thanks Jim, I figured out the removal, went smooth,I need to order some with those numbers,I think I've found where the orange wire was supposed to go, I located a schematic online and it shows orange for blower motor.
At the battery I did use both on the battery,and at the box I used a body ground,looking now to see where the box gets its ground from or maybe add one to it
Thanks for the help,I appreciate it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
stan

Thank's, I'll check that out,I see them listed as universal blade connectors in one of the brochures, dosen't state wire size though, I appreciate the info.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 03:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I have bought them off of Amazon. Come in packs of 25 for the different AWG sizes. Like it was said before, make sure you get a good set of crimpers for them.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
stan

Thanks for all the help guys, waytek has it all, hopefully this goes well and finally get her off the Jack stands.
Next project is a new radiator and fan setup, Rahman noodles aren't so bad......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode