Engine Wiring with Pertronix electonic Distributor - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Hervé

Question Engine Wiring with Pertronix electonic Distributor

Hi Guys,

i don't normally ask for help (most info are on the forum allready) but this time i am having trouble with the wiring of the Pertronix Electronic conversion distributor.

A few month back I purchased the American Autowire kit “Classic Update Kit - 1967-68 Chevy Camaro” reference 500661 for my car. My car is a 1967 Camaro RS – 327ci – 4 Speed manual – DELUXE interior. French car.

We are currently starting the installation of the wiring kit and working on the ENGINE WIRING.

I have an upgraded distributor (Points to Electronic) with the PERTRONIX 1181LS kit and bought a Flamethrower Coil at the same time.

For the moment I have some difficulties to find the correct way to install the wiring as it doesn’t require a Ballast resitor (option1 in the 500661 Diagram), and is not using a HEI distributor (Option 2 in the 500661 Diagram).

On the attached picture, you can find the elements that I have at the moment.

https://ibb.co/q00TLRr

If you can help me it would be reaaly appreciated

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech
Lee

Re: Engine Wiring with Pertronix electonic Distributor

I think it would connect like this:

The yellow wire from the starter is not used.
The ballast resistor is not used.
The pink wire connects directly to the positive terminal of the flamethrower coil.
black wire of the 1181LS connects to negative terminal of the flamethrower coil.
red wire of 1181LS also connects to positive terminal of the flamethrower coil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 10:57 AM
Senior Tech

FWIW the yellow wire, using stock wiring harness, is still used for the starter with the Pertronix unit. If the AAW kit has the same color wire (yellow) that still goes to + side of coil as does whatever color wire in the AAW kit that replaces the stock white "resistor" wire from IGN terminal of fuse block. Black wire from Pertronix goes to - coil

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Hervé

Do i connect the battery to the Coil? or the Alternator?

sorry, i'm really really not good with electricty.....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 12:30 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

The yellow wire and the pink will both have battery voltage while the engine is cranking since the ballast resistor is not used. After cranking only the pink wire will have battery voltage as long as the key remains in the run position. So you could still use the yellow wire, and it will work but I don't think it's required, but I will defer to SoCal805 since I haven't used this system before.

The pink wire supplies the main power to the coil when the key is in the run position. so no need to connect the battery or alternator directly to the coil. The alternator needs to be connected to the battery which I assume the Autowire kit provides this connection elsewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Hervé

So it should be like that configuration?

tell me if i'm wrong

https://ibb.co/CMt8QTF

what i'm asking myself is : is the small Pink wire able to bring enough electricity power to the coil and then to the spark plugs???
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 12:48 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

That looks good to me, and yes the pink wire should not have any problems providing the needed voltage to the coil.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 06:24 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Here is what worked well for me. Ignore the "R" Not Necessary?" comment. The "Blue, Black, Yellow and Red" around the relay are what came on the relay socket I used. What's important is the relay blade number.

Pertronix Diagram by Dave H, on Flickr

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 07:09 AM
Senior Tech
Dante

Garage

Not exactly the same, but I am installing a Pertronix system on my 327 in my 69 Chavy C-20 truck and this is what I learned.

On the truck I was told to take the yellow wire off the coil and the solenoid. Tape them off and leave them there in case you want to go back to points.

The yellow wire on the coil is also connected to a cloth covered wire that goes to the bulkhead connector.

When cranking the starter, the yellow wire from the starter provide a full 12V to the coil to help start. When the truck is running and started is disengaged, the wire to the coil goes through the cloth covered wire which is a resistance wire and drops voltage to 6V thus saving the coil.

When you switch to Petronix or HEI it needs full 12V all the time.

So you need to get a wire from ign to coil that is full 12 volts and that is all you need.
There are two ways to do this.

Pull out the cloth covered wire from the bulkhead (packard style 56 balde connector) and replace it with a 12G wire to the + side of coil.

Or just run a new 12G wire to ign unfused to positive side of coil. This is what I am doing so I can easily put points back in if I need/want to.

If there is a ballast resister (white block) it can be removed.

Hope this helps.

1973 Camaro Type LT
350 4 spd

1968 Chevrolet C-20 CST

2012 ZL1 "Dante's Inferno"

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 08:11 AM
Senior Tech
Lee

I found the manual for the 1181LS and it does state that the ignition wire should be a 12-gauge wire which is the pink wire in your diagrams. So if the pink wire is not 12-gauge then you should replace it or you could use a relay like Dave is showing in his post. Terminal 86 would be where you would connect the pink wire.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech
Dante

Garage

If I am reading that correctly, the pink wire goes to the starter?
That means when you stop cranking the starter, the 12V goes away so that wouldn't work.

Maybe I am reading it wrong.

The relay works but in my scenario you don't need it.

You would disconnect the pink wire and the cloth wrapped wire (that is the reistance wire) and go directly to the + side of the coil from a 12V source that is ignition source. If it's not ignition, then the car won't shut off when you turn off the key.

1973 Camaro Type LT
350 4 spd

1968 Chevrolet C-20 CST

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech
Dante

Garage

Great thread here. The HEI need the same 12V as the Petronix. Also remember you can change your plug gap to a wider one. (.45 on my truck)

68 C10 Yellow wire from firewall to starter/coil. - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

1973 Camaro Type LT
350 4 spd

1968 Chevrolet C-20 CST

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 01:45 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

The relay is not a must have. I use the stock wire just to trigger the relay and get the full 12v needed. You can run 12v directly and forget about the relay. I might even end up doing that someday. My relay is hidden, but I always feel less is more.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode