4 gauge pod not all working correctly - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Nantooch
  • 1 Post By EVL SS
  • 1 Post By SOA-Nova

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Garage
4 gauge pod not all working correctly

I just bought a car and of course it has some issues.. It is a console car and all the wiring is new. It has a 4 gauge console setup(reproduction) and all the wiring seems to be connected. I think there is a common reason why they are all acting up but, I'm not sure yet. I have briefly tried to look into these problems but, ran out of time today. I am just hoping someone may have already had these issues. If not, I will have to do a full on test on each gauge/ issue. Here are the problems.

At first, I had no back lights on them but, found a ground screwed into the plastic. I screwed into the chassis and now all the back lights work. Other than that, I think all the wiring is correct.

1. The alternator gauge shows "0". It never moves. I tested the alternator and it is working.

2. The temp gauge reads the correct temp. It use to go to full temp when the headlights turned on. I found a random ground not connected. I connected it and now it works(along with all the backlights).

3. Oil pressure works 100%

4. Gas gauge - it is pegged past the full lark all the time(regardless of headlights on or off). If i shut the ignition off and turn on the headlights, it goes to complete empty. I looked under the car at the sender and the ground wire was missing. I made a wire and connected it to the closest tab on the sender and ran it to the tank strap mount hole. I thought that would fix it but, it acts the same exact way.

any suggestions on any of the above would be great. I am going to start trouble shooting each one tomorrow night.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 07:41 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Re: 4 gauge pod not all working correctly

Fuel gauge pegged full all the time is either there's a broken wire, fuel gauge or sending unit are bad. Find the sending unit wire and short it to ground. If the meter moves to empty, the meter is fine and the issue lies either with the sending unit wire or the sending unit. Locate the sending unit wire near the sending unit and try the same again. This will let you know if it's the wire or if you're pulling the tank.
EVL SS likes this.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 07:52 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVL SS View Post
Here are the problems.

1. The alternator gauge shows "0". It never moves. I tested the alternator and it is working.

4. Gas gauge - it is pegged past the full lark all the time(regardless of headlights on or off). If i shut the ignition off and turn on the headlights, it goes to complete empty. I looked under the car at the sender and the ground wire was missing. I made a wire and connected it to the closest tab on the sender and ran it to the tank strap mount hole. I thought that would fix it but, it acts the same exact way.

any suggestions on any of the above would be great. I am going to start trouble shooting each one tomorrow night.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
1. Unplug the two wire connector on the back of the ammeter gauge and check to see if each wire has 12V on them. If one or both are dead and have let's say 0V, then the gauge cannot work properly. The alternator can work but I have seen some "new" wiring does not support a factory ammeter gauge. The factory ammeter requires two power connections. I wonder too if the "new" wiring might be setup for a volt gauge which then wires differently than an ammeter gauge.

4. On here you may be having a ground issue. I'm used to working on the Nova console gauges which basically are the same as the Camaro and there is a jumper ground from one pair of gauge pods to the other pair. This should be shown in the factory assembly installation manual.

Keep in mind sometimes you might have a solid mechanical connection on wire ends but electrically it's not good and then you have issue(s).

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantooch View Post
Fuel gauge pegged full all the time is either there's a broken wire, fuel gauge or sending unit are bad. Find the sending unit wire and short it to ground. If the meter moves to empty, the meter is fine and the issue lies either with the sending unit wire or the sending unit. Locate the sending unit wire near the sending unit and try the same again. This will let you know if it's the wire or if you're pulling the tank.
Cool, thanks. I will try it asap!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA-Nova View Post
1. Unplug the two wire connector on the back of the ammeter gauge and check to see if each wire has 12V on them. If one or both are dead and have let's say 0V, then the gauge cannot work properly. The alternator can work but I have seen some "new" wiring does not support a factory ammeter gauge. The factory ammeter requires two power connections. I wonder too if the "new" wiring might be setup for a volt gauge which then wires differently than an ammeter gauge.

4. On here you may be having a ground issue. I'm used to working on the Nova console gauges which basically are the same as the Camaro and there is a jumper ground from one pair of gauge pods to the other pair. This should be shown in the factory assembly installation manual.

Keep in mind sometimes you might have a solid mechanical connection on wire ends but electrically it's not good and then you have issue(s).

Jim
Jim,

thanks for the info. I'll look into this and report back tomorrow night! ps - the gauge setup is supposed to be the same as the OEM 4 gauge package so, I assume it is supposed to work with the factory wiring, etc..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 08:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Gas gauge is a pretty easy one. Open the trunk and unplug the wire by the trunk latch. I think its pink, the sticky here says it's brown but IIRC brown is tail lights. With the key on ground the section that goes to the front. The gauge should read below empty. if so everything up front is good and the problem is the wire to the sender from the trunk is off or the sender it self is bad. The gauge reading past full indicates a open circuit to the gauge. if it still reads past full when grounded the open circuit is closer to the front. you can read the ohms in the trunk, they should be below 90 on the gas tank side with the wire disconnected. This explanation is harder to read the the actual procedure. Call me if you get stuck.

Jeff
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
Gas gauge is a pretty easy one. Open the trunk and unplug the wire by the trunk latch. I think its pink, the sticky here says it's brown but IIRC brown is tail lights. With the key on ground the section that goes to the front. The gauge should read below empty. if so everything up front is good and the problem is the wire to the sender from the trunk is off or the sender it self is bad. The gauge reading past full indicates a open circuit to the gauge. if it still reads past full when grounded the open circuit is closer to the front. you can read the ohms in the trunk, they should be below 90 on the gas tank side with the wire disconnected. This explanation is harder to read the the actual procedure. Call me if you get stuck.

Jeff
Jeff, Thanks. I'm going to take a swing at all this tonight. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again!
yellow69RS likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Garage

Quote:

Jim
Jim,

I am checking this today but, where does the power on those two wires come from? I assume one from the Alternator and the 2nd?

I believe the whole car wire harness was updated and it was changed over to the factory 4 gauge center console using all factory NOS parts.

1968 camaro
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVL SS View Post
Jim,

I am checking this today but, where does the power on those two wires come from? I assume one from the Alternator and the 2nd?

I believe the whole car wire harness was updated and it was changed over to the factory 4 gauge center console using all factory NOS parts.
I did not see what year car you are working on with these issues but on some GM cars they had one wire for the ammeter connected to the junction block by the battery and the other off of the horn relay buss connector. At the point of connection under the hood at those two points the wires going to the gauge were protected by inline fusible links.

If you have the shop manuals for your car, there should be a diagram in one of them showing information for the wiring of the ammeter gauge.

Jim
EVL SS likes this.

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Garage

Quote:
I did not see what year car you are working on with these issues but on some GM cars they had one wire for the ammeter connected to the junction block by the battery and the other off of the horn relay buss connector. At the point of connection under the hood at those two points the wires going to the gauge were protected by inline fusible links.

If you have the shop manuals for your car, there should be a diagram in one of them showing information for the wiring of the ammeter gauge.

Jim
Jim,

Thanks. It's a 68 Camaro. I ran out of time today but, I will try this tomorrow night.

1968 camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode