Grounding question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Ed

Grounding question

Looking for what all I need to ground. Car is a complete redo. I forgot how many and where I took them off a couple years ago. As it currently sits: "not so" painless wiring harness installed and grounded throughout the harness, new motor installed. So, ground the block to the frame, and what else is needed? I bought a grounding kit from Painless, and there's one strap I swear is made for a train! Thing is huge...

Thanks!

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 12:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Re: Grounding question

Ed we really need to know what year you are working on. Even different engines have different grounds.

Painless may be your best source for information, seeing itís their setup.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 12:11 PM
John

Garage

Battery ground to engine. Ground strap from engine to body
DjD likes this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech

IDY what year Camaro we are talking about but on my 67 327 there are copper braided straps from body to front clip (near firewall) and thinner ones from firewall to valve covers

-Battery to PS fender & engine block

IDK if there are others but there are likely several ways to provide adequate grounding using aftermarket wiring harness.
yellow69RS likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 12:26 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Generally a grounding kit for a first gen consists of three bare copper flat cables. The block is grounded by the negative battery cable attached to the alternator bracket at the intake, or the water pump. Any paint beneath the end of the battery cable attachment must be ground down to bare metal. Similarly the block must be ground clean of paint at the point were the stater motor bolts to the block and under the heads (head of starter bolts have an attached washer formed with the head of the starter bolt) of the starter bolts so that there is a good ground for the starter motor.

When building a motor I place on the bare block a dead starter who I keep just to mask where a starter will eventually bolt up; as well as set of stock tin and a set of stock scrap metal heads to prevent over spray. I do this because I am too lazy to mask off the block with tape when painting it. I find it easier and faster to just bolt stuff on an off with a speed wrench or an impact.

There are two cables used to attach to the back of the block via the transmission bell housing bolts (once again grinding off any paint, if present, as paint is an insulator). The other ends attach to the fire wall. One to ground the back half of body. With the other one of those two straps having a pass through bolt that has a similar flat grounding strap behind the firewall to ground the dash at the back of the instrument cluster.

The remaining (third strap) grounds the block to the front sub frame so the head lights and turn signals work correctly. My guess is the heavy grounding strap attches the block to the sub frame.

Big Dave
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 01:17 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

If it's not a perfect restoration:

1) Battery to Engine
2) Engine to Subframe
3) Engine to Body
4) Body to Subframe
5) Subframe to Rad. Support

Use heavy duty bare braided copper straps with the exception of your negative battery cable which should be of equal size to your POS batt. cable.

If it's a resto, get the Assembly guide.
DOUG G and flat tire like this.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 03:47 PM
Senior Tech
Al

If you don't have a AIM (factory assembly instruction manual) you need one. Here's
a link to downloadable manuals at no cost.
Downloadable AIM's and some service manuals

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Thanks Steve I forgot about the sub frame to radiator core support. Without a good ground the voltage regulator and or horn relay will not work properly despite the passenger fender having a sheet metal screw grounding it from the small wire that is part of the negative battery cable. With age the sheet metal screw and the toothed washer loose their grip and provide a poor ground due to that wear.

Big Dave
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 04:36 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

While this is not addressing the OP's question directly, It is my understanding that originally on something like my 68 Chevy II Nova (and also shown in the below link on a 68 Camaro) is that the braided ground straps, filter capacitor for the voltage regulator, filter capacitor for the coil, and the static collector assembly under the front wheel bearing caps were only in place when a radio was installed. If no radio, no braided ground straps, capacitors, or static collectors.

Page 403 in the below link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0l...VMNTZuUlE/view

I also came across an NOS radio with the install kit and it has the braided straps as well as the capacitors, and static collectors which leads me to believe when no radio was being installed rolling down the assembly line, these parts were not put on and the car worked just fine.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Ed

Sorry guys, it’s a 69, and the motor is new built by Smeding Performance. Thanks for all the help info. I’ll check out the AIM as well.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 06:09 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Not a "numbers" car...look above, can't go wrong with too many grounds.
flat tire likes this.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 08:40 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

you all would laugh if I told you how many ground wires I have on the car
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 08:55 AM
Team Member
Tim

Same subject but different - what is the purpose behind the flat braided grounding straps vs. using 1/0 battery cable? I am asking because I have plenty of this cable which I was intending to use but need to make sure I am not missing something important. I always had the opinion the braided straps were used for flexibility because the engine and bellhousing moved a bit.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 09:23 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Flat braided looks better IMO, and not an electrical guru

I have my ground for battery in trunk next to battery, ground from motor to sub-frame, and ground from heads to body. (may be more I'm forgetting ?)

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 09:37 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon4570 View Post
Same subject but different - what is the purpose behind the flat braided grounding straps vs. using 1/0 battery cable? I am asking because I have plenty of this cable which I was intending to use but need to make sure I am not missing something important. I always had the opinion the braided straps were used for flexibility because the engine and bellhousing moved a bit.
Tim, I don't know for sure but I would go along with your belief of flexibility. The flat cable was
probably cheaper, easier to install, has very low resistance and the connections would stay tight
considering they are attached to sheet metal. It may be difficult with 1/0 cable to attach securely
to sheet metal. Any large cable that I've seen was attached to a bolt (stud).

Al

my 67' build thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode