Horn Relay 1967 Camaro Coupe - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Moliveira

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mitch

Horn Relay 1967 Camaro Coupe

Just installed a new headlight wiring harness. Made sure to note all connections when I removed the old harness. New harness went in pretty easily. All lights and blinkers work good. I noticed with the ignition off and no lights on that the horn relay was "warm". Definitely not hot slightly warm. Horn does not blow either? Everything worked before just wanted to update a 50+ wiring harness. Can anyone out there help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 03:25 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Horn Relay 1967 Camaro Coupe

Mitch, If this was right after your testing I would think it is normal. Test the horn relay for draw
with a multi-meter. You could have a bad horn relay or possibly a bad horn button contact considering
the horns don't work.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 04:36 PM
Senior Tech

you sure you didn't reverse any of the wires to relay?

I did this once and result was relay got hot & horn didn't work

assuming the wires are same color as original harness the green wire goes towards firewall and the black towards core support on the horn relay. My primary red (large) one goes towards DS fender and the other one goes towards motor

The above with horn relay mounted to core support

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Mitch, If this was right after your testing I would think it is normal. Test the horn relay for draw
with a multi-meter. You could have a bad horn relay or possibly a bad horn button contact considering
the horns don't work.
I bought a new relay and installed it. I think my next is to check the horn wiring in the steering wheel. The horn relay is warm and I test the leads that plug into the horns and they're pulling 11 volts. Strange thing they are not blowing? And they don't blow/sound when I hit the horn button?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
you sure you didn't reverse any of the wires to relay?

I did this once and result was relay got hot & horn didn't work

assuming the wires are same color as original harness the green wire goes towards firewall and the black towards core support on the horn relay. My primary red (large) one goes towards DS fender and the other one goes towards motor

The above with horn relay mounted to core support
Both the Red and Black(fused) I don't think matters since they are connected to the same buss. The green (goes to horns) and black (goes to horn button) should only plug in to each receptacle. My set up is not on the fire wall. The horn relay mounts to the front DS next to the radiator. The black wire closest to mounting panel.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mitch

Reversed the green and black. Relay does not heat up, power not leaking to horn leads. But no horn when I push the horn button.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 04:25 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Mitch, Test your horns before tearing into the steering wheel unless you know they're good.
Here's a pic of my horn relay for reference.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 05:35 PM
Senior Tech

OP

Al's pic above is how mine is wired which I tried to explain but didn't have a pic :-)

When I got my car the horn didn't work and I started by testing and disconnecting the wires going into relay and inadvertently connected the small green & black wires backwards which, like you, the relay got hot so I swapped them back, as in Al's pic, and no more hot relay

I assume now your wiring mirrors what is in Al's pic now.

IDK what the test procedure would be for the relay itself....to confirm your "new" relay is good.

assuming your horns did work before the relay swap, test the horns themselves before the horn button/wheel

"My" horn problem was the spring that connects the green (the spring that drops in the hole under horn ring) wire to the circular ring inside the steering wheel hub was missing but otherwise the horn, steering wheel (Grant) were installed correctly by PO. I took a spring from a ball point pen I had and it was a perfect fit. Horn works perfect no
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 09:54 PM
Probationer

So thankful for this image. I just got my old Camaro back after a 20+ year hiatus and looked down at the horn relay/ VR area to find a large knot of wires taped up together inside a home electrical wire nut............ SMFH. Anyway I couldn't even match the VR holes up to anything. I have some rewiring in my future. Looks like the VR mounts at an angle on the core.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you to their level and beat you with experience.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 19, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mitch

Thanks for for the picture. That's how I have I have it wired now. Still no horn. Horns worked prior to me putting in new harness. Will test horns to make sure but I don't think their the problem. Will let y'all know when I get it fixed.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mitch

The problem was i wasn't making contact with the wire that goes to the horn button. Fixed that and all is good.
allanjs likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good deal.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Good you fixed the problem and thanks for following up.

Al

my 67' build thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode