Which AC Delco Headdlight Switch? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Which AC Delco Headdlight Switch?

Having flickering dash lights so replacing the switch.

I see 2 listed under AC Delco both 8 terminal

"Professional" is the D6152D
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...321232&jsn=445
"Original Equipment" is the D1588
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=446&jsn=446

Tey are both about the same $, Which one is "better"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage
Re: Which AC Delco Headdlight Switch?

I really don't see where one would be noticably better than the other. Seems the warranty is the same on both also.

69 Hugger Orange 396 M20 3:31
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Roger, I went through this a few years ago using the AIM, CRG, Wiki, etc. In 67 there were 2
switches used. 1995147 & 1995149. The 149 was for RPO U17, console gauges. Both were
superseded in 68 with 1995164. Then somewhere along the line it was changed to 1995179.
So the AC Delco D1588 is what I determined at the time to be the correct switch for a 67.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 01:08 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: Which AC Delco Headdlight Switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Roger, I went through this a few years ago using the AIM, CRG, Wiki, etc. In 67 there were 2
switches used. 1995147 & 1995149. The 149 was for RPO U17, console gauges. Both were
superseded in 68 with 1995164. Then somewhere along the line it was changed to 1995179.
So the AC Delco D1588 is what I determined at the time to be the correct switch for a 67.
Good call on that one. I was looking at Rock Auto for a 69 switch. I see the 1995179 OEM cross reference for the 67 is D1588!

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 01:15 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICO69 View Post
Good call on that one. I was looking at Rock Auto for a 69 switch. I see the 1995179 OEM cross reference for the 67 is D1588!
Ya, I spent a lot of time sorting this out.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

and the 1588 is Amazon Prime for $18.64 :-)

Little backstory....I had recently put in Sylvania Silverstar halogen headlights. I noticed a slight flicker for my instrument lights and suspected then that the halogens were the "why" (even though they are same watt as the incandescent bulbs) so I did the headlight relay install and the flicker seemed to go away but I just turned on lights in my garage to check, no driving. In fact the headlight & dash lights were brighter after the relay install

Flash forward to this am when I left for a cruise at 5:30am and my speedo/gas gauge lights (none others) AND my turn signal indicators were fluctuating (just a slight dim flutter, not on & off). I could not see the headlights or any other lights doing it nor my autometer gauge lights

I don't drive the car at night much but this time this am the light flickering of the dash gauge lights was worse than before. Dimming the lights did not change anything. Then I noticed when car was stopped the flickering was not there so I thought there is a wire shorting or something induced by car movement. But when I got to cruise the dash lights were still doing it even not moving so my assumption is the headlight switch is failing. I have a $18.64 bet the switch is bad...we shal see
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 02:29 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage

Yeah for less than $20 its worth a try! Hope it works out.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 04:25 PM
Team Member
Dave

I'm going to assume you checked your grounds? I had same issue, driving at night and my headlights would flicker or go out along with dash lights. The ground on the light switch was not making good connection and I found another ground buried in wire harness under dash that was cut and tucked away. Fixed both and no more issues.

1969, 350 "Beast", M20, Nothing Fancy, Nothing Pretty, But Sure is Fun!

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by USN1969SS View Post
I'm going to assume you checked your grounds? I had same issue, driving at night and my headlights would flicker or go out along with dash lights. The ground on the light switch was not making good connection and I found another ground buried in wire harness under dash that was cut and tucked away. Fixed both and no more issues.
The headlights do not flicker, just the instrument dash lights. The rheostat (dimmer) feels rough and you have to hold all the way to left to turn on sail/courtesy lights. If I let go of the dimmer the courtesy/sail lights go out vs just staying on so the switch itself doesn't feel right in that regard. Given I rarely use headlights I just started to notice this flicker so my feeling, hopefully true, is the headlight switch is suspect so for $19 I will do that first

If that fails than yes a dive into wiring will happen.

Not sure if the metal bracket the switch is on grounds to dash or there is a wire within the 8 wires that run to the switch provides ground. The bracket was very slightly lose so I did screw in the trim nut (slotted) some (read turned barely 1/8") to tighten that.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 08:53 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

I like troubleshooting things and I have before used a solution called Deoxit on contacts before with good results.

The "roughness" could be to how the dimmer switch is designed from back then. Basically it is a wiper arm pushing against wrappings of wire on an insulator and maybe what you are feeling it is the contact button on the arm rubbing against the different wire wraps on the assembly that then gives you the different brightness levels ?.

I do have to wonder what happens if the light switch is rotated a bunch of times from no dash light illumination to full brightness if possible the connection between the wiper arm of the switch and where it is contacting is the connection might become cleaned up ?. I'm thinking sorta a like fuel sender in that it too has a contact arm on a wiper type of connection and having to be an electrical connection, the materials on either or both of the contact points can corrode giving strange outputs possibly like flickering illumination lights or if with a fuel gauge sender giving the wrong resistance readings as to what is actually left in the gas tank.

The headlight dimmer circuit does not rely on the headlight switch being grounded so one can throw that variable out the door. It has to do with where the wiper switch arm of the switch is at as to where it might have 0 ohms of resistance to where the lights are not dimmed or to where the switch then creates a higher resistance to then dim the bulbs.

I have through the years talked with others and even a replacement light switch did not correct an illumination problem but hopefully what you are getting works as it should.

The headlight switch us just one part of the illumination circuit. Hopefully the switch takes car of your issue and it's not something else.

Please post back with your results. Too many times, I have to wonder what the end results were.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good suggestions given. The rheostat for the dash lights and interior does, over time, develop what is commonly called 'burn spot' and switch contacts develop carbon spots on the contacts themselves and these deposits create resistance and some power, read current, is given off as heat, so less power to the bulb.

One event one can do is twist the bejesus of lamp switch to 'clean up' the wiper arm-to-wound coil' contact area.
The contacts within switch, not much you can do, except if you're real industrious, take switch and place in 9X12 cake pan, unroll the crimps on the switch body, and wa-la! the switch contacts are in sight and they can be cleaned with emery paper. and reassemble switch. The cake pan is for catching those small parts falling out.

My suggestion is, when you replace switch, it is grounded to the dash by surface contact. Sand the backside of dash with emery paper, clean area, and smear/moisten the same area with grease/oil for rust prevention, then install switch.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Installed the new headlight switch. The one I pulled was original.

Same problem. The turn signal indicators in flasher mode (both) intermittingly flicker slightly and the instrument lights slightly flicker. Not go out, just modulate some. The flasher (turn signal) lights slightly glow flicker on also but low intensity. Does not do this just with car sitting with engine on or off and headlights on. Just driving so it appears the road bump/vibrations are triggering a lose something

Could this be the hazard flasher on fuse panel or flasher switch on column or wiring to them since this seems to be "flasher" vs "turn signal" (L or R) individually. All lights otherwise work normally including turn signals or flasher mode. I don't see the headlight themselves flicker but cant see if the running/tail lights flicker when I am driving, just the green indicators on the dash

This all started after I swapped to Halogen headlights so I did the repay mod which did not resolve the flicker. Then changed headlight switch, no change.

Thoughts on where to look next?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 09:29 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Roger, I know it's a pita but I'd try disconnecting the headlights one at a time.
That should tell you if they're causing the problem. Have you noticed if the turn
signals flash slower or faster than prior to the headlight swap? You could have a
bad ground on the back of the dash although I'm not sure that would cause the
problem you're having.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Where is the main dash ground location?

Given it did this pre & post headlight relay harness install my thought is the headlights are not the why. Currently, with the relay harness, just the PS "stock" headlight connector is pluged into relay harness which triggers the relays which feed new headlight plugs to the L&R headlights.

I could just unplug the relay harness and plug the stock plugs back into the headlights to see if the harness is somehow corrupting the dash lights but it did this before that harness install.

Since the turn signal lights in flasher mode flicker my thought is this may involve hazard flasher and or steering column switch or wiring to those. IDK if its something as simple as replacing the flasher

I thought this was headlight switch given the old one "felt" sloppy and I had to hold it to the left to keep sail/courtesy lights on. The new switch you feel a distinct click and those lights stay on and the dimmer feels smooth...but apparently my 52 year old Delco "USA" Remy headlight switch is still good. Into the "used but works" parts pile.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 09:51 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

Probably not a problem with either flasher if the blinkers and 4-way flasher lights are working normally. If I read your message correctly you're stating that the problem is just with the console indicator lights for the blinkers. If so then I think it's a bad console ground.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode