Team Camaro Tech banner

98 Camaro horn problem

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  X-77 keith 
#1 ·
Hello I am having a problem with the horn on my 1998 Camaro 3.8 v6. When you pull on the steering wheel or move the wheel up or down the horn sounds and will not turn off. I pulled the relay to stop it from going off. Any advice on where the short is and how to fix it would be great. Thanks

#7 ·
I'm not aware of any way to access the wires without removing the wheel. IMO the air bag is not that big of a deal. Under the dash there is a connector with some odd color connector(bright orange or yellow?). Unplug that then remove the air bag and unplug at the top. Air bag cannot detonate without power and you have disconnected the wiring from it. Pull the wheel and then remove the lock plate then remove the T/S switch. I use a thin mechanic s wire attached to the plug at the bottom to have something to fish the new harness into place. After what you have gone thru at this point I would replace not repair.

Jeff

#9 ·
Don't disconnect the yellow wire under the dash. No need. Disconnect the battery, wait about 30 minutes then remove the airbag. When you unbolt the bag, lift up gently. Then you will see a little yellow wire in the center of the bag. Pop it off. Sometimes it is easier to just lightly pry it off with a small screwdriver. It's a button cap type connector. The car should have two small square horn contacts. Those contacts are very problematic. Might not be the harness that goes down the column.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.