Team Camaro Tech banner

Dash harness retainer - 68 Camaro

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Sabinoerc 
#1 ·
Hi,
I had to pull the pedal asm out to fix it. I'm putting back in and can't find where the main cable harness is retained. Looking at plastic clip, I'm not sure it ever was. Picture is in thru opening where gages would normally be located. The end of the brake return spring is sticking up thru the pedal asm bracket and the cable is touching it if not retained somewhere. There is a hole up close to the dash support at top - white arrow, but the cable doesn't have enough slack to reach it.
I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious or I need to figure out why cable doesn't have enough slack to get up to that hole.
Thanks in advance for any advice
Ed

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The photos below are from a 1969 Firebird. The wiring harness travels along a flat piece of stair stepped metal above the steering column.

Maybe your 68 Camaro is the same.

[/url]dfb 40 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]dfb 42 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]dfb 64 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

My harness fit inside some hard black plastic that fit on the stair step metal just above the steering wheel column.

[/url]dfb 80 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

#3 ·
Ed,

My main harness had the exact same clip in the exact same place as yours.....and was connected to absolutely nothing. Not sure why it was ever even wrapped into the harness.

I’m out of town today but could post some pics tomorrow.

Bob

#7 ·
just a bit more on this
I finally found a drawing in the AIM - page 166, which appears to show the retainer going down into hole in the pedal asm.
Of course, two problems with that. The retainer is pointing up instead of down and, even if you could twist the harness to point it down, that's where the brake return spring is hooked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.