Can a dummy install the AAW update kit - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Can a dummy install the AAW update kit

So I’m pretty mechanically inclined but I have little knowledge in terms of electrical wiring. So I guess my question is how good are the instructions with this kit? Are they straight forward in terms of telling you EXACTLY what wires to hook to what spot or do they assume you know certain things about wiring? Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 06:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: Can a dummy install the AAW update kit

Probably. The classic update kit assumes that you have changed some things. None of the rear body or underhood connections are cut to length. All wires are labeled as to their function, its printed on the wire. I didn't note what year you have but if its a 67 the kit will be handing you a 68 fuse block setup and a 68 headlight switch. The kit also does not handle 67 hideaway headlights. Be conscious of your grounds to the point of being anal about them. Buy the crimpers.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 06:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

It all comes down to how well you interperit the instructions, how well you can crimp terminals, and know where to cut the wires to length. other than that it is a breeze

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

I have a 67. No hideaway headlights though.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 06:57 PM
Team Member
Don

You can download and review the instructions here. No one but you can decide if you are capable imho...

https://www.americanautowire.com/kit...tions?s=500661

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
You can download and review the instructions here. No one but you can decide if you are capable imho...

https://www.americanautowire.com/kit...tions?s=500661

Don
Excellent thank you. So the wiring diagram is all you get? I was hoping it would include pics of the more complex connections or something.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 08:00 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdog View Post
Excellent thank you. So the wiring diagram is all you get? I was hoping it would include pics of the more complex connections or something.
Each subkit has a wiring diagram and some instructions. They have some videos you can download which will show you how to crimp etc.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 08:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Most of what i would call complex connections are behind the dash so thats pretty much handled. What have you got going on with this car? Your first challenge is going to be fitting the 68 fuse block in. You need to enlarge the hole in the firewall. This is gonna be a pain in an assembled car...but...you have to do it. The 67 block isnt up to the current task...no pun intended. The kit assumes a neutral safety switch. A stick 67 doesnt have one. There are things like this you have to handle. If you get over the first hurdle, which is your discomfort with the electrical work, it can be satisfying and fun to do. The box is kind of organized. It has a read me first order to it. Dont cheat. Have some quart refrigerator bags around if you cant help but open stuff up before you need to. The kit covers camaros and firebirds. You will have leftover parts.
And buy the crimpers...

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d cad View Post
Most of what i would call complex connections are behind the dash so thats pretty much handled. What have you got going on with this car? Your first challenge is going to be fitting the 68 fuse block in. You need to enlarge the hole in the firewall. This is gonna be a pain in an assembled car...but...you have to do it. The 67 block isnt up to the current task...no pun intended. The kit assumes a neutral safety switch. A stick 67 doesnt have one. There are things like this you have to handle. If you get over the first hurdle, which is your discomfort with the electrical work, it can be satisfying and fun to do. The box is kind of organized. It has a read me first order to it. Dont cheat. Have some quart refrigerator bags around if you cant help but open stuff up before you need to. The kit covers camaros and firebirds. You will have leftover parts.
And buy the crimpers...
Thanks, you convinced me. But should I buy the crimpers 🤔
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 07:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

I thought it was fairly easy with the AAW instructions along with the factory assembly manual which shows where to run and attach the wire.
Crimping everything takes time, and I also used wire loom on all of it.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 02:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Yes, buy/rent the correct crimpers and take your time. If you buy them, they will sell if you donít want them. Like others have said, watch the videos. You wonít be disappointed!

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 08:47 AM
Senior Tech
Travis

AAW makes a great product and I think the instructions are pretty straight forward and easy to follow. Buy the crimp tools and also do yourself a long term favor.....use/apply dielectric grease on all crimps and connections. It makes the crimps easier and prevents corrosion/oxidation.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 07:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

The instructions are straight forward.

Take note how the original wires are routed. This is not in the instructions.

Don't run all your wires at one time and then start testing. If you have a problem, it could be hard to figure out what is wrong. You could have multiple problems. After you run a circuit, then test it. For example, when you run your wires to the headlights, turn them on to see it they light up. If they work, then run your wires to the blinkers and test them.

Bad crimps and bad grounds are going to be the most common problems you will experience.

Patrick
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 08:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Update kit because you want to save money, or because you've got a lot of additional electrical needs?
dhutton likes this.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
Update kit because you want to save money, or because you've got a lot of additional electrical needs?
Just seems like it's the most popular. I am adding Holley sniper EFI and Vintage air and want a modern system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode