Team Camaro Tech banner

ARE THERE ANY ISSUES RUNNING A h.e.i. IN MY 67 SBC?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  bill3337 
#1 ·
Are there any firewall modifications needed for a h.e.i. Dist to work in my 67 camaro with a 350?

#4 ·
HEI dizzy does fit. Some are right up against the firewall. Another alternative is to use a Pertronix kit in a stock Dizzy which is what I have

Whatever one you use you will need to either run a new 12 gauge wire to coil from IGN tap on fuse block or cut the white wire that goes to the coil at bulkhead and splice in a new wire as from the bulkhead block forward that white wire is a resistance wire for points dizzy which is about 9vdc. You want full 12vdc. If you run a new wire, I did, you can just tape back the stock white wire back into wire harness

#5 ·
Great advice Here /\.
I ran an HEI (coil in cap, old style) in my first 68, and it fit fine. But it just depends, some are tight, some have plenty of room, others need massaging it seems.

The old stock coil in cap HEI have their weaknesses though, I would recommend something like the Pertronix module in the stock small body distributor/cap configuration as described above. I will say though, I had hit and miss luck with the Pertonix stuff when it was fairly new on the market, so if there are other options you might look at those also.
I don't know whats out there anymore or if Pertronix has improved some because I've been using an MSD set up for years.

#11 ·
The Pertronix kit instructions were specific about eliminating any resistor wire if the car has it which is why I did it. Would it start and run if I didn't, yes. But providing only 9vdc the module of the Pertronix is not happy. Typically the symptom would be RPM breakup at higher RPM's

IDK if this applies to aftermarket HEI distributors but suspect it would unless there are instructions with it that say otherwise. Check the 411 that came with your HEI dizzy

Resistor wire is used on a points/condenser dizzy

#13 ·
I ran a large GM HEI for a while after massaging my firewall. Then switched to an MSD ready to run. Just make sure you remove your resistor wire if you're switching from a Points Distributor.

#14 ·
To power up a real HEI, one might strongly consider using this easy method.

Remove the wires from the original coil, and tape the ends up, then tape the wires to the loom above the engine.

Then, from the fuse box IGN terminal inside the driver compartment, add a 12 gauge wire, through the firewall, to the BATT terminal on the cap.

This will give full battery voltage to the HEI BATT terminal on the cap, with the key in both start and run, cold in all other key positions.

And, you haven't hacked up the wiring loom, it can still be used as a resistor loom if needed.

Of course, it doesn't stop the bashing in of the firewall, though.

#15 ·
I'll run that wire, the next time I bring my '67 home, sounds like a good idea. I keep it at my vacation home about 150 miles away. I've heard many times about having to clearance the firewall, but I didn't need to do that in my case and I know it hasn't been done in the past, as I've owned the car since it was new. It's still all original, other than some mild engine modifications and wheels that I put on in '67.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.