Heat Soaked Starter Myth - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old May 14th, 20, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
John

Garage
Heat Soaked Starter Myth

Some threads lately that refer to heat soaked starters and the use of remote Ford style relays, sometime referred to as solenoids. It's a big relay.

On GM starters this also works as a relay. Key turned on>solenoid kicks in to engage drive gear into flywheel or flex plate>contact disc connects batt power to the starter motor.

Ford style uses a remote mounted relay that when ignition is in start position it simultaneously provides batt power to the solenoid and the starter motor. This is usually done by installing a jumper from the Batt terminal to the S terminal. No reason to run a separate wire from the relay to the starter.

GM Batt Pos goes directly to starter.
Ford Batt Pos goes to relay and from relay to starter.

Both styles accomplish the same thing. When ignition is in start position you get full Batt power to the starter motor.

Installing a Ford Style relay on a GM starter will help IF the Contact Disc is not making good enough contact in the solenoid to provide full Batt power to the starter motor. This is a band aid. It's not fixing the problem.

If you have a starter issue blamed on this mysterious "heat soak" you really have an issue with the starter or the wiring.

If you have full Batt via the Purple wire to the S terminal it is most likely the contacts in the starter solenoid are bad. This can happen over time due to arcing each time the starter is engaged. Pull it a part and clean the contact surfaces or replace the solenoid.

If you don't have 12v to the S terminal. Ignition switch, NSS switch or the wire itself are bad.

So a guy adds a Ford Style relay. The purple that was on the GM solenoid now goes to the Ford relay. When ignition is in start position the relay is closed and Batt power goes to the solenoid By doing so he has bypassed the solenoid to get power to the starter motor. He has not addressed the root cause.

The common goal for both styles is to get full Batt power to the starter motor.

The Myth

"when the engine is hot it won't start. when it cools off it starts"

Degraded wiring and bad contacts are being affected by the heat caused resistance.

So cure the problem don't just treat the symptom.

There is a place for Ford Style Relays on our cars. For me I use one when I relocate the Battery to the trunk so the long positive cable is only hot when starting.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

Last edited by Vega$69; May 15th, 20 at 03:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old May 14th, 20, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Heat Soaked Starter Myth

After installing the extra solenoid, the OE solenoid still has to have the S terminal wired for engaging the starter drive.
Unless I missed it... Over 40 Thing.
Its another route, shorter in wire resistance, in getting full battery current to starter motor.
Clean all terminals thus reducing resistance.
Heat will increase resistance in a wire/terminal connection by both ambient temperature and current drawn through the connection.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old May 14th, 20, 12:25 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

In the early 70's, I was a parts guy at a large service garage. We got to see every kind of problem you can imagine. Starter problems were seen quite often on low mileage large engined cars that were mostly driven on short trips by little old ladies and little old men. Starters, batteries and battery cables were replaced repeatedly with the best that could be found. Problems persisted. Heat soak was blamed, but these cars didn't have headers or modified exhaust. One of our customers that previously had starting problems need his engine rebuilt due to having a wing nut dropped into the carb and passing through the engine that caused valve and piston problems. The engine was severely carboned up. Carbon in the combustion chambers, carbon on the back side of the valves, and worst of all, carbon in the ring grooves and behind the rings that kept the rings dragging on the cylinder walls. After the rebuild, the customer no longer had any starter problems, even the hottest part of summer. After much discussion, one sales rep suggested putting Blaster in the oil of problem child cars to see if the starter problems could be reduced. We put a can of Blaster in the oil at no charge and let the customers drive as they normally did, then changed their oil the next time and put another can of Blaster in along with the normal oil. At least 90% of the cars that previously had starter drag problems no longer had the problem. We were sure that the mechanic in a can had loosened up the carbon behind the rings that had been causing the ring drag problem. So, instead of the repeated changing of everything when we ran into a hot start problem, we put a can of Blaster in the oil, and just changed whatever part of the starting system was suspect.
George Leonard likes this.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old May 14th, 20, 12:30 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post

After installing the extra solenoid, the OE solenoid still has to have the S terminal wired for engaging the starter drive.
Unless I missed it... Over 40 Thing.
Some times a jumper went between the top solenoid post on the starter and the S terminal. Ford products used Delco style starters on many 429 and 460 engines and that is how they were set up. Same normal small solenoid on the fenderwell and the Delco style solenoid mounted on the starter that operated the starter drive.
jimnecci likes this.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old May 14th, 20, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
John

Garage

Quote:
This is usually done by installing a jumper from the Batt terminal to the S terminal. No reason to run a separate wire from the relay to the starter.
From above

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old May 14th, 20, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Its another route, shorter in wire resistance, in getting full battery current to starter motor.
Actually using the Ford relay means longer cables from the Battery to the Starter motor. Although with a jumper from the Batt term on the starter to the S term you get full battery power to the solenoid rather than the long purple wire from batt to the ignition switch, NSS and then to the S term
Everett#2390 likes this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old May 14th, 20, 01:17 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

I think a better question is unless you are doing a numbers restoration, why use the original style starter at all.

Gear reduction mini starters are readily available and I think standard on everything now. It's kind of like using a mechanical cooling fan, sure it works and so did the wagon wheel.

If your wiring is good just ditch the giant old starter all together.

With all due respect.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old May 14th, 20, 01:37 PM
Senior Tech
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rs406 View Post
I think a better question is unless you are doing a numbers restoration, why use the original style starter at all.

Gear reduction mini starters are readily available and I think standard on everything now. It's kind of like using a mechanical cooling fan, sure it works and so did the wagon wheel.

With all due respect.
Why?

Why not just rebuild the original starter? Rebuilding a Delco 10MT starter is quick, cheap and easy.

The 10MT starter was strong enough to turn over high compression engines 50 years ago, so why replace it with something that isn't needed?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old May 14th, 20, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

When i was running my '68 at the track with open headers and 90+ degree days, I never had a problem using the OE wiring and a GM hi-torque starter - identified by the copper extension between the solenoid and starter motor terminal.
Worked every time when asked.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old May 14th, 20, 02:17 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob15 View Post
Why?

Why not just rebuild the original starter? Rebuilding a Delco 10MT starter is quick, cheap and easy.

The 10MT starter was strong enough to turn over high compression engines 50 years ago, so why replace it with something that isn't needed?
My point exactly, it works fine. So did the wash board, the wagon wheel and stone tools. I never said it was the wrong thing it just doesn't make sense to me.

Chrysler was using the revolutionary new-fangled reduction starter in the 60's. The new ones are an even better smaller, lighter package.

Sean

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old May 14th, 20, 02:48 PM
Senior Tech
bob

Quote:
My point exactly, it works fine. So did the wash board, the wagon wheel and stone tools. I never said it was the wrong thing it just doesn't make sense to me.

Chrysler was using the revolutionary new-fangled reduction starter in the 60's. The new ones are an even better smaller, lighter package.

So, spend over 100 buck for a cheapie no-name mini-starter, $200-300+ for more of a "name brand" starter or under 50 bucks for all the parts and rebuild the Delco starter yourself. Not sure the logic of buying a mini starter.

to each your own......
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old May 14th, 20, 03:27 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob15 View Post
So, spend over 100 buck for a cheapie no-name mini-starter, $200-300+ for more of a "name brand" starter or under 50 bucks for all the parts and rebuild the Delco starter yourself. Not sure the logic of buying a mini starter.

to each your own......
Indeed, to each their own and it's all good.

But.... you can get a factory GM reduction starter from a junkyard really cheap probably, but even a decent quality aftermarket one are not much more than $100. Up to $250 for a really high end one.

They are smaller, lighter and more efficient. If you have ever installed a mini starter on a motor with headers while laying on your back you will appreciate the light weight and tiny size.
That's reason enough for me to spend another $50-$60 on a car that most people consider a luxury these days anyway. Not too many Camaros used as daily transportation to a minimum wage job anymore (done that...), requiring budget repairs.

As always there are many ways to skin a cat. And for the record, I'm a rebuild it first guy if it makes sense.

Sean

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old May 14th, 20, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

If you don't have a growler to test the armature, the starter is not being tested and rebuilt correctly like a quality minded shop does. If the armature cannot be repaired, it must be replaced.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old May 14th, 20, 04:12 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

I'm another one who says (and recently posted) heat soak is a myth so I agree w/ the OP...
I don't see ministarters as being an improvement. I tend to think the mfgrs wanted to save weight and money so they introduced them. One thing they don't seem to like is prolonged cranking.
The biggest point to all this is to figure out the actual problem, not just start throwing parts at it, and not to simply cry heat soak. Read the recent thread on this subject and try to find a voltage measurement or anyone but me saying do some troubleshooting. There are none as of yesterday.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old May 14th, 20, 06:16 PM
Senior Tech
Simon

Quote:

With all due respect.

I'm gonna chime in and agree with Sean, I too had a starter problem about 10 years ago, resistance, growler, header heat whatever. Tried a heat shield from Thermo-tec to wrap around the starter, then the solenoid heat shield.......nothing worked.

I then decided to bite the bullet and try a mini hi torque starter for about a 120.00.
It solved the problem. I did not have a wiring issue cause I haven't to this day do anything other than change to the mini starter. Everyone is entitled to do whatever they want to fix their problem as they see needed, sometimes we just want the problem fixed and if it costs a few bucks more so be it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode