Need Wiring Expert... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 05, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Need Wiring Expert...

I have just developed another problem.

Bringing out my 69 350 from the winter. Everything is working fine. Replaced one 10 amp fuse for gauge. Gauge is working fine.

I put the charger back on the battery. One hour later all of a sudden I lose fire to all the car. The fuse panel was not getting any fire.
I started to chase it down. I am getting fire to the regulator so far and into the back of the fuse pane at the dash panel. A check again of the fuse panel, I am getting fire to the left side of the fuse panel (under the dash). None of the fuses on the right hand side are getting any fire.
Is the wiring set up that way?

Could an overcharge cause something like that? I had charged it over night.

With a remote start wire starter and engine turns over good. Ignition switch is getting nothing.

Is there another inline fuse or breaker I am not aware of?

Will be studying the assembly instructions tonight.

1969 Camaro Z-11 Pace Car
350cu/300HP -
Convertible RS/SS- Muncie M20 - posi 3.31, 12 bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 05, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Need Wiring Expert...

Either the firewall connection is not making good contact and/or the buss bar on the back side of the fuse panel is broken or corroded.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 05, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well, The unexpected happened:

After checking wiring and fuses under the hood and under the dash.
(Kinda just wiggling them all around and a test light check)
You guessed it, when I open the door the interior lights come on, the electricity had come back.

That makes it scary.

I am now going to have to go back and, single item at a time, try to duplicate the malfunction.....

Afraid to drive it far like it is.....

I know I have some ground problems when the interior lights dim a little when the hazard light are flashing.

Any more suggestions?

350cu/300HP -

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 05, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Enter into the Twilight Zone..............

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 05, 05:54 AM
Senior Tech

Charging the battery would not cause such a problem unless you hooked the charger somewhere that you damaged the positive feed somehow.

The previous poster is on to something. The DC bus is not connected too well somewhere. Either at the battery/starter post or somewhere.

The presence of voltage also doesn't always mean that the connection is good either. You could have the full 12 volts at the junction, but because it's corroded the current sees a too high path. I would start at the battery feeder and work my way back. If you can get the problem to raise it's head again this is good for troubleshooting and exacting the problem.

You do know that some of the fuseblock is "switched" by the ignition switch...right??

I would carefully look at the steering column ignition switch contacts etc. These seem to be a source of problems especially if original. NAPA carries these in Echlin lines and are better than most aftermarket ones that you can find elsewhere.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 05, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks,

I forgot about the ignition switch/fuse box connection:
I am just getting into the wiring system diagrams.

Is there any place you can go to get explanations on the basic electronics? Like the codes/colors/gauges used in electrical diagramming?
I have all of the basic wiring diagrams and can guess about the
schematics; like tying together the connectors/fuse panel/BHD conn.
Would I would like to find are the basic things like which wires (gauge/color) are always hot? and which are always grounds? Terminology like your "DC Bus" and buss bar (at horn relay/firewall connection). Basic functions or relays/links/buss bars. etc.

Lots of dumb questions, but I'm learning...

350cu/300HP -
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 05, 11:33 AM
Senior Tech
Josh

Go to this site.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...evymain1.shtml

This is a great site and I have actually called this guy with a problem and he knows his stuff.

J Early
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 05, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks J Early

Great site for that information.
Explains some of the blind spots.
I have got some new ideas already..

350cu/300HP -
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 05, 06:05 AM
Senior Tech

Try cleaning the battery cable connections,,,,,,,,,
nine out of ten times we start chasing phantom problems and forget about the basics,
If the car sat all winter good chance the terminals are dirty and making a very poor conection....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 05, 01:51 PM
Senior Tech

Cool Re: Need Wiring Expert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J early
Go to this site.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...evymain1.shtml

This is a great site and I have actually called this guy with a problem and he knows his stuff.
That link was VERY useful to me as well..Thanks!

When you buy an American car, you provide work for a man and his family for three months. -Jay Leno
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 05, 03:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I hadn't seen that particular article at mad yet. Excellent stuff!! Gonna sit on my porch in the unfamiliar sunshine of the day and read every word.

Even thought I consider myself to know a lot about "electricity" I'm learning a bunch from this. One biggy is that feeding my power amps with an 8 guage wire directly off the battery isn't the best way, and may even overheat the 12 guage battery charging wire when the stereo is turned to "full boogie" since, contrary to the instructions that came with the amp, the power is really coming from the splice / horn relay!

I think I'll just sit out here in the sun and read the whole site, race is over anyway!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 05, 04:23 PM
Senior Tech

Yep........8gauge will fine for the amp unless you have something in the gigawatt range and like to listen to it from the next state.....but a single 12 gauge charging wire is insufficient in most cases even without the amp etal. Minimal QUALITY wiring systems should have at least a 10 and the REAL GOOD ONES usher in at least 8 and in some cases with real heavy loads upgrading to a 6 and way out there 4 gauge could be the ticket depending on distance run of the wire. I see more and more folks have 200 amp alternators now so you have to build your system to be ready for the peak shot in case your battery would be real low and need alot of system bus power at the same time. Same way your utility builds their circuits and lines to accomodate the worst peak demands.

My findings after just upgrading my stereo in the 57 to 1200watts is that most of the power feed help is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overstated. Even with my system cranked up to where you couldn't stand it from the next county the wattage draw wasn't anywhere near the power you would think. Most amps idle at only a few amp and even loud listening push them to only 15....but even at deafing boogy speed the amps are bested at around 30ish.

These dual woofers in addition to four Boston 6X9s, two 4X6s and four tweeter circuits....make for a clear, concise and nerve wracking calamity of Beachboys, George Thorogood, Jan & Dean, Cobras and Toby Keith.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode