Door Jamb Switches - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 05, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Door Jamb Switches

How do I know which door jamb switches to purchase? I see single prong, and double prong choices.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 05, 06:08 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Door Jamb Switches

The passenger side has/should have a one prong and the driver's side a two prong. The wiring system is grounded thru these terminations. The wire should come from the passenger side over to the drivers side where the passenger side plugs into the dual lug one. Then the lug goes to the lamp circuit to ground it when open thru these two points. This methodology parallels the ground circuit.

If you hook all these single poled/lugged switches together in parallel somewhere else this works too.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 05, 07:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

the second connection on the drivers side switch is for the key buzzer, on 68 & 69 only. 67 did not have the buzzer. The key buzzer part of the switch is totally separate and isolated from the courtesy light circuit. The white wire is the courtesy lights.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 05, 08:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I would have to agree with Steve on this one. The pass side is the single prong and the drivers side has 2 prongs, 1 for the wire coming back from the pass side and 1 to connect to the lamp. Are you sure it has something to do with the key buzzer?

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 05, 09:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

absolutely, just did mine, replaced the coutesy light harness (which connects to the dash harness above the drivers side kick panel and does not actually involve the drivers side switch) I've also been tinkering with the key buzzer cause it doesn't seem to care if the key is in, if the door's open, it buzzes.

The second pin on the drivers side switch (the one that doesn't have the white wire) is only for the buzzer and has nothing to do with the courtesy lights. This is personal observation, backed up by the wiring diagram as well as past posts on this site.

(where's markc to back me on this?)

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 05, 12:48 PM
Senior Tech

Jim's right on this. I remembered that I did not put the buzzers back in my 69 (on purpose), so I used the driver's side two terminal to parallel the courtesy lamp ground.

The stock diagram will show the dual terminal hooking to the courtesy lamp and the other is for the ignition key reminder system that goes to the connector.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 05, 01:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

in other words, If you don't want a key buzzer... use a single pin switch, only hook up the white wire, and disconnect the pink / black stripe wire from the horn relay.lol

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 05, 04:06 PM
Senior Tech

Depends on whos wiring system you are using and what provision there is for grounding the lamp circuit? The GV Centech wiring system that I put in did not have a provision for the ground to connect under the dash or at least wasn't designed that way, so I used the twin posts on the passenger side to parallel the courtesy lamp ground signal circuit.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode