CS120 Wiring HELP! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 05, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

CS120 Wiring HELP!

I recently swapped over to the late model CS120. I am having some problems figuring out exactly where to connect the wires! The aftermarket plug that I bought only has 3 wires coming out of it.. A heavy gauge red, a thinner gauge brown and a black. I read the tech reference:

On the connector that I got, there were four wires and the body of the connector had identification letters. Here are the id letters and the color wires (don't count on the colors to be the same as what you get).

"S", this was a heavy gauge, red wire.

"F", this was a small gauge, brown wire.

"L", this was a small gauge, brown/red wire.

"P", this was a small gauge, brown/white wire.

The red wire from "S" gets connected back to the output terminal of the alternator just like in the "SI" swap.

The brown/red wire from "L" gets connected to what is shown in the diagram above as the blue wire. It's this wire that comes (indirectly) from the idiot light and it energizes the alternator.

The wires from "F" and "P" are not used!

....and can't seem to figure out how to wire this thing up! I see that my red wire goes back to the charging post on the back of the alternator-easy enough. The problem comes from the other two wires... My connector has "S" "F" "L" "P" marked on it, but only has three wires. The brown wire comes out of the connector right between the "F" & "L"!!!! Can someone please tell me what these other two wires go to!

1969 383CI, T-56, 12 bolt-3.31 posi, 13" C5 Rotors, PBR Calipers, rear disc system..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 05, 06:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: CS120 Wiring HELP!

It sounds like you are describing the regulator bypass plug. If you pull the connector off the reg (drivers side of rad support, black box) does your new connector fit the reg's harness plug?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 05, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

No, not a regulator bypass plug. My car has no external regulator, nor the wiring for the external regulator. All of that stuff was removed before I bought the car.

I should have stated in my first post, it is the alternator plug that I am trying to figure out. I now know that the only other wire I need to hook up is the "L" wire. I know that the "L" wire gets hooked up to the "Batt" light in my dash. I simply need to know where the wire for the "BATT" light comes through the wiring harness into the engine compartment so that I can tie it to the "L" wire coming from the alternator and I should be finished!

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a '69? I think I need both the engine side, and the under dash side! Thank you!

1969 383CI, T-56, 12 bolt-3.31 posi, 13" C5 Rotors, PBR Calipers, rear disc system..

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 05, 07:41 AM
Guess

Exclamation Re: CS120 Wiring HELP!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 05, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech

hook the brown wire coming out of the alt plug to whatever wire goes to the idiot light, loop the red wire to the back of the alt, run a hefty wire from the back post of the alt directly to the + terminal on the battery (use the biggest wire you can find- the stock wiring isn't big enough for the power this alt can put out) and tape off the extra wires that are for late model cars that control the charging with the ecm.
easy enough, eh?

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode