Hooked up Jump-cables backwards - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 05, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Hooked up Jump-cables backwards

Well, first off, I'm an idiot. 8^/ When I was jumping my 1980 Camaro RS (350 cc) I attached the jumper cables backwards. I didn't notice for the first couple of tries, but stopped as soon as I did. My question now is, what have I done to my car? I tested the battery and alternator and the battery (old) was bad and the alternator (new) seemed to be ok, but the guys I took it to for testing (I know only a little about automotive repair) said that the coils might have been damaged. Anyway, whilst waiting on enough time to dig into it, is there anything else I should look for to be damaged by running voltage backwards though it? Thanks,

Lucas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 05, 06:31 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Hooked up Jump-cables backwards

Its hard to say. Many things could be damaged. Does you car have an ECM? Chances are the diodes in the alternator would have blown before the coils would have been damaged. The voltage regulator may have taken a hit as well as the ignition module. The only way to tell is to start repairing what is broken and keep working until it's all fixed unfortunately. Did you take the alternator into the auto parts store for testing? What up the jump vehicle? I bet that put a hellova load on it as well.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 05, 06:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

you can pretty well kiss your stereo goodbye, too. Made that mistake in my boat once, stereo was the only thing toasted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 05, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech

I am not so sure that anything is harmed except maybe the battery. The battery has such a low impedance that all the battle is fought there usually when you do something like this. I have seen it done twice and no harm whatsoever.

So, try everything first and definitely test the battery.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 05, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so here's where I am now. I've replaced the battery and alternator. I know I have power since I can turn on the lights. All my fuses are fine (except one 10er that belongs to the horn) My radio doesn't do anything - but it may not necessarily be blown. It doesn't seem to be getting power.

As for starting it, when I turn the key from 'accessories' to 'on' nothing happens. This is the same behavior it exhibited when I tried to jump it backwards. Now, the camaro had been sitting for about six months before I jumped it. It was under a car cover, and had no gas sitting in it, but was otherwise unprotected. Is there anything else that may have occured whie it was sitting that could also cause this behavior?

dnult, I don't *think* I have an ECM. (Granted, my only assurance of this - given my general ignorance of mechanics - is that I searched for it on a few car part pages and couldn't find one for my year...) I have not replaced the voltage regulator or touched the ignition. The jumping vehicle was fine. That's what's been giving me some hope. 8^)

Thanks to everyone that's responded to me. I really appreciate you guys helping me out. 8^)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 05, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech

This may or may not have anything to do with it, but I had a similiar problem with a Toyota Highlander. The guy the was helping me connected reversed the cables. There was a 140 amp fuse hidden in one of the fuse panels that was blown. Until I found it, only select circuits would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode