I got a short some where. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 05, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I got a short some where.

I think that I have a nasty short some where in my interrior lights. Every time that I turn on my headlights and turn on the interrior lights I blow the fuse in the fuse panel. How sould I go anout chaising this ? I have no electrical expierence at all. Thanks

69 Camaro RS, 383ci,10.5-1 AFR 195's ported, Comp 286HR, 4340 forged Crank & Rods, JE Pistons, RPM Airgap, Holley 750 HP carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit, 3000 Coan, Be cool, caltracs,12bolt 355 eaton posi..Best E.T. 12.22 @ 112

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 05, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: I got a short some where.

Search the forum here for an address to schematics for your car if you cannot find a Haynes manual for the car. This will help immensely. Also, check to make sure there are the correct part number bulbs in all locations, including interior lights, first.

Next item I'd check is to see/research if the headlamp fuse is of the correct value. It may be as simple as the wrong size of fuse. I'd also get a 30 amp circuit breaker to substitue for the fuse only while troubleshooting this problem, this will save on fuses. Also, having the correct bulb(s) part numbers help.

If I read this correctly, you turn on the headlights, low & high beam, which turns on side markers, parking lights, and instrument panel lights, everything is okay. Then, you turn on the interior light(s) and the fuse blows. But, if headlamps are off, and interior light(s) come on, then everything is okay?

Providing the above statement is correct, then I believe the fuse may be the wrong value. Or, the electrical connections from the battery to the headlights via the headlamp switch may be corroded and need cleaning. Alcohol and a wire brush will help here. If a connection has soon corrosion on it, it will be hot to the touch meaning this corrosion is resistance to current and forces an extra load thus blowing the fuse. Two places to clean are the junction block on the radiator support next to the battery and the buss bar on the horn relay under the washer bottle on the rad support.

The other thing you might do, is to open the doors, unscrew the dome light switches in the doors, you may want to remove the battery ground cable, and isolate the switches with electrical tape. Hook up the bat cable, and turn on the headlamps. Then rotate the headlamp knob to turn on the interior light(s) and wait to see if the test circuit breaker trips. You may want to remove the interior bulbs to see if the c/brkr still trips. If the c/brkr still trips, then it may be a crushed wire from the ight switch to the left kick panel to the driver A-post to the interior socket or in the door switch wiring.

If you have a DVM, it will have capacity of measuring up to 10 amps. You might do an addition of current of all bulbs, when doing this, unplug or unbulb the headlamps to do the parking lights and measure. Unplug parking lights and do one headlamp and measure. Unplug the one headlamp and do the other headlamp and measure. Unplug all lights and do the interior light(s). Add up these values and the fuse is sometimes 50% more than what is required. Sometimes.

You need to get a manual and see what value fuse should be installed.

Think logically and clean the grounds as well, they are the return path.

If worst comes to worst, remove the interior bulb(s) and equip the interior with a flashlight........Ha!

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 05, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech

Search for "battery drain" in this forum. You'll find instructions for using a test lamp in series with one of the battery cables. It will help you find the short. Sounds like the interior light wire has worn through somewhere and is contacting ground. You can then start unplugging things (like rear light harness, console harness, and guage cluster) until the test lamp goes out. This will narrow it down and eventually lead you to the short.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 05, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69CamaroRacer
I think that I have a nasty short some where in my interrior lights. Every time that I turn on my headlights and turn on the interior lights I blow the fuse in the fuse panel. How sould I go anout chaising this ? I have no electrical expierence at all. Thanks
The first thing I would try is remove all the headlight and interior light bulbs that you can. Then try turning on the headlights and interior lights. If the fuse blows, it's in the switch or wiring. If it doesn't, you've got a shorted bulb (I've never had one). You could then use an ohmeter to find the culprit bulb(low Ohms reading).
If it's in the wiring, I'd then seperate the wiring and retest. I use the law of halves. Disconnect half the circuit, power each half. The half that blows the fuse is then split in half and then......until you find your short. This technique works well when I have to fing shorts in large building communication trunks.
I am not an auto electric expert, but I do have 25 years experience troubleshooting HVAC commercial/industrial control systems.
My motto is, do the easiest things first before tearing stuff apart.
Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode