Another Battery Drain Question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 05, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Angry Another Battery Drain Question

I have a 1992 rs that was an origional 305 TBI but was converted to an '86 305 TPI, the engine is wired for the later speed density system and was professionally made. The problem Im having is that the alternator is only putting out .6 volts @ idle not sure if something is missing, the alt and battery are both new and have tested good, so Ill leave this one open to the peanut gallery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 05, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Re: Another Battery Drain Question

Also forgot to mention the car is set up with all 92 sensors and accesories, including 105 amp alt.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 05, 07:48 PM
Senior Tech

How in the heck can you measure .6 volts at idle? Do you mean .6volts over the battery voltage?

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 05, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

I used a dvm grounded one probe and put the pos+ probe on the batt terminal on the back of the alternator
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 05, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

thats all that the dvm read was .62 v @ idle (750 RPM)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 05, 10:07 PM
Senior Tech

Sounds to me like the alternator isn't grounded and you are measuring the voltage drop of the diode tree. What is the voltage reading between the alternator shell and the block or shell and negative battery post?

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 05, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

0 Volts
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 05, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Try another DVM or voltmeter. It could be the meter is struck on a certain range and only reading to the right of the decimal point.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old May 4th, 05, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

I have found out that the people who built my wiring harness forgot a wire on the alternator (the one that goes on the "L" terminal) not quite sure how to run it
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old May 17th, 05, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

negative cable to shell is reading 12.6v, im not sure the alt is exciting properly? But I had the Alt and battery tested today and they both were good.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old May 17th, 05, 10:11 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplehaze92
negative cable to shell is reading 12.6v, im not sure the alt is exciting properly? But I had the Alt and battery tested today and they both were good.
Sounds like you just confirmed the alternator is not grounded properly. Negative cable to the alternator shell should read nearly zero volts except under severe charge or discharge. Even then your reading should be in the milivolts.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old May 18th, 05, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

what would be the best way to ground it? by the way where bouts in austin are you?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old May 18th, 05, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

ok, well I connected a ground wire to one of the housing bolts and got a good ground to the alt, but still nothing
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old May 19th, 05, 11:09 PM
Senior Tech

You're on the trail. That measurement you took between the shell and negative cable encompassed an open circuit in the ground. Start moving the probes closer together in the ground circuit until you isolate the open.

I'm in SW austin near Loop 1 and Wm Canon if you know where that is.

Dave
========================
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old May 21st, 05, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Giterdone, Got it fixed today, it was the wire that connects to the batt terminal, I ran a Bypass wire directly from the battery to the batt terminal and she is puttijn out 14.56 volts, and now that its warmin up I can finally drive her! Thank you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode