85 Z28 not starting - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 05, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

85 Z28 not starting

Drove the car in the garage, tore out the carpet and cleaned it, put it back in and now the car won't start. Full power (except for the hatch release) but I get absolutely nothing when I turn the key with the exception of the clicking of the fuel pump. I figured it might be the ignition switch down on the column so I replaced that and then I figured it might be the starter so I replaced that, both put me back at square one. I'm not sure where to find the neutral safety switch but the harness that plugs into the shifter (its an automatic) is nice and tight. I toned the connection between the starter and battery and that was fine. I found one post that referenced fusible links might be the issue but I'm not exactly sure where they are...

Anyone have any suggestions on what else to look for? I'm completely out of ideas.

This may have already been addressed in "'89 RS electrical problem, no power in somesystems " but I wasn't sure if that fit my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 05, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Re: 85 Z28 not starting

After reading more on it, I am beginning to believe it is a fusable link somewhere between the switch and the starter. Anyone have idea on where it is and how hard it is to get to??

Thanks,
JB
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 05, 06:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Re: 85 Z28 not starting

I might guess it has 2 or 3 links total. They probably come up off the starter through a tube near the back of the block. (pass side)

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 05, 06:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

It's got to be something simple. Did you pull out the console and shifter? Maybe the wiring for that is the problem. There is a neutral start and backup lamp switch that mounts to the shifter.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 05, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

I see the tube that has the purple starter cable (toned that to the shifter connection inside and it tones fine) and the two red wires also coming off that main starter terminal. I found one red wire that tones alright but I can't find the other one. Are the links actually in that tube? Thats gonna be a pain in the...

I did pull off the shifter but everything went back on except for some weird connection I can't find where to put (this was in another post). -

(The mystery connection is the orange/black/gray connector, the yellow/orange is for the power hatch release)

http://www.crazyrusty.com/vehicles/8...onnection1.JPG
http://www.crazyrusty.com/vehicles/8...onnection2.JPG

I double checked that connection this morning and it was fine.... Its gotta be a fuse somewhere that I can't see or easily get to. Glad they make it so easy to find...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 05, 08:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I am looking over wiring diagrams, I think that's the problem right there. The orange wire and yellow wire need to be hooked up to the white switch on the side of the shifter...let me look closer at this

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 05, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

I couldn't find anything in my wiring diagrams. The yellow and orange wire plugs in to a corresponding yellow and orange connector for the power hatch release.

The one I couldnt find where to put is the orange/black/gray one.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 05, 08:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

black and gray are for the PRNDL lamp, I see they are attached to the bulb socket.
The orange and yellow are for the rear hatch release. It looks like you are missing the power hatch release solenoid. This is what I think this connector goes to.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 05, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Re: 85 Z28 not starting

This is getting worse every time I go out there. Decided I should try and find the fusible links. I took off that little pipe behind the starter -

What a royal pain in the butt...

http://www.crazyrusty.com/temp/04282005-1.JPG

After unwrapping the wires, I find the two fusible links... and yet ANOTHER wire coming off of one of the fusible links.

http://www.crazyrusty.com/temp/04282005-4.JPG

Thats now three wires coming off the starter (excluding the battery cable) when my two wiring diagrams only show one.

On the other hand, I did a tone between the end connector for those three wires and the ignition switch and it toned on the red wires.. pink wires.. and every grounded surface. Thats my problem right there, I just have to find where its grounding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode