BATT or IGNITION feed into the 'Line' connection on a CS alternator? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 05, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

BATT or IGNITION feed into the 'Line' connection on a CS alternator?

I'm loosing my Gen light because I am adding a Tachometer in my 68 Camaro. At the same time I have installed a new CS alternator. So I need to put a line with a resistor into the 'L' input connection on the alternator. Should this line be from the battery or from the ignition source? Does it matter? Does the power need to be turned off to this input when you turn the car off? If I can use a Battery line, it saves running another wire because I can jump a pigtail wire off the out line of the alternator that goes to the battery anyway. Can anyone help out with this question?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: BATT or IGNITION feed into the 'Line' connection on a CS alternator?

I was wondering if any knows the answer to this question. Thanks.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 09:47 AM
Senior Tech

I beleive you will want to use an IGN feed. Using Batt may result in a drain on your electrical system when the car is off. I haven't tried it, so I'm guessing.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 11:28 AM

I just finished doing this to my 68. I just added a tach and lost my gen light. I also last summer had swapped to a CS style alternator. I didnt have to add a resistor anywhere, I followed the wiring steps on this website http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html

I have been driving it about a week now and so far no problems, The battery charges fine and everything seems to work. I will let you know if I have any problems. If you have any more questions let me know.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks. I looked at the article, but I have completely removed the external regulator so I will have to either jump a battery wire to the 'L' terminal or bring an ignition wire there. I was going to buy the GM 8078 SI to CS jumper which has a resistor in it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 02:13 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight68
I just finished doing this to my 68. I just added a tach and lost my gen light. I also last summer had swapped to a CS style alternator. I didnt have to add a resistor anywhere, I followed the wiring steps on this website http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html

I have been driving it about a week now and so far no problems, The battery charges fine and everything seems to work. I will let you know if I have any problems. If you have any more questions let me know.
So how did you connected the light wire to the alternator? The tech reference article says
Quote:
And what about the idiot light? Well, the electricity that goes to energize the alternator (through the brown wire) comes from the idiot light. This leads to an interesting tid-bit, the alternator needs to see some resistance in this line. That resistance is the bulb! If you try to be "custom" and use a LED, there isn't the correct resistance and the alternator will not work correctly! You can't just by-pass the light!
You need a resistor or the lamp for this wire.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 12th, 05, 12:26 PM
Senior Tech

I also did this same swap and though my alternator is working, my "batt" or idiot light does not work! I wired the "L" wire from the CS alternator to the wire that goes to the idiot light. My understanding was that the "Batt" or idiot light should come on when you move the key to the start position.. My light does not EVER come on..

I have verified that the alternator is charging because as soon as the motor fires, the voltage jumps up to 13 on the voltmeter.. Before starting, with the key in the "run" position, the voltage is right on 12. I understand that I have it wired correctly, but I guess I thought my "batt" light, or idiot light, would still work with the CS. Am I wrong?-

1969 383CI, T-56, 12 bolt-3.31 posi, 13" C5 Rotors, PBR Calipers, rear disc system..
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 12th, 05, 07:41 PM
Senior Tech

I haven't actually wired mine up yet so I'm not sure if the light will work, but I presume it will. I did notice on my 68 that the light wire is bypassed by a black/white resistance wire between the IGN and ACC circuits. I presume this was done to keep the charge circuit alive if the bulb were to burn out. Maybe it bypasses the lamp too well. On the other hand, are you sure the bulb is ok?

I know others have done this swap so lets see what they have to say.

Dave
========================
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old May 13th, 05, 01:42 AM

Well everything seems to still be working fine since I lost my idiot light and the CS alternator seems to charge fine I have driven it daily for the last 10 days or so it reads just over 14 volts when running. I don't really understand why it works because according to everyone and all that I have read, as dnult said, you would need a resistor or light. I followed the "L" wire that leads from the alternator it goes to were the old voltage regulator used to be and is soldered to the brown wire, this leads to the firewall connector for the fuse panel. Thats as far as I could follow it I assume it would go to the idiot light or something from there. I just went for it and hoped it worked and it did, I read lots about how people said it had to have the resistance of the bulb, but I have not talked to anyone that didnt have it work, I have talked to a few that have had it work with no problems or extra modification.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 05, 11:09 AM

Also checkout www.madelectrical.com Mark is a wiz at automotive electrical. He is so helpful. I have bought alot of kits from him over the years and his service and advice are AAA+.He has a CS130 wiring kit. Under the catalog tab, you will see a alternator conversion for a CS130. Read the kit desription. It gives some insight on the CS130 itself.

John
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 05, 04:35 PM
Senior Tech

You could measure resistance from the L wire back to the IGN line to see if it is a dead short to 12 volts or not. I suspect your are getting resistace somewhere. Here is my concern.

The L line supplies the turn-on voltage for the regulator. In the event of a fault, the regulator controller will ground the L line which lights the light and disables the regulator. With no resistance there, it may pop the fault circuit when / if you ever do encounter a charging problem. I just hope it isn't a trap waiting to spring.

In my last post I mentioned the bypass resistance wire between the ACC and IGN circuits and the GEN lines. I stated I thought this was to keep the system charging if the bulb failed. Is your bulb good?

Dave
========================
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 05, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech

Based on what has been posted above, if I take the wire coming from the wiring harness (the one from the idiot light that I currently have attached to the "L" wire on the alternator plug) and ground it to metal while the key is in the "on" position, the idiot light should light correct? I think I may try this test-with the plug disconnected from the alternator-just to confirm that the light will indicate a problem should it occur.

This is why I like this site so much~! Always good information, when you need it..

1969 383CI, T-56, 12 bolt-3.31 posi, 13" C5 Rotors, PBR Calipers, rear disc system..
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 05, 01:42 PM

Ok I'm in the same mess and although I believe that I have wired it as to this thread http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html I'm still only getting a little over 12 volts at the battery and at the alternator. The dummy light is constantly on with this set-up. I put the old one wire alternator back on and it only puts out 12 volts as well. After making these changes at least now I get up to 12.5 volts when I rev the engine but it is still a far cry from where I need to be.

Here are the two pics. Help please!!

http://www.kwondo.org/pictures/altonepic.JPG
http://www.kwondo.org/pictures/alttwopic.JPG
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old May 18th, 05, 09:16 AM

Never mind....it was a bad alternator after all. I didn't think it could have been that because it was fairly new.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old May 24th, 05, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I ended up getting the Delco part 8078 which is an SI to CS adapter with the resistor built in. The guys at the electrical supplier suggested sending an ignition line into that. So I jumped an iginition wire to the brown wire under the dash that is supposed to go to the GEN idiot lite. Actually, the electricity comes to the light from an igntion source, through the light, and out the brown wire to the alternator. Once the alternator starts charging the circuit, it applies 14 volts to the other end of the brown wire, and then the idiot light goes out because it has the same voltage coming at it from both directions and that is not a circuit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode