Team Camaro Tech banner

Bulkhead Connector removal

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  houston68 
#1 ·
Hello all. I'm doing some electrical upgrades in the front end of my '68 SS Coupe. For easy access to the wiring and to check the condition of the connector, I'd like to pull the Bulkhead Connector on the firewall. Specifically, the one on the right when you're looking at the firewall from the front of the car. It's kind of hard to get a good view of the connector at the firewall. I tried just pulling out on it, and it didn't come out. Are there any tabs or anything that need to be released to get the connector to pull out? Also, I saw a bolt between the left and right hand connector, does that need to be removed to pull the connectors?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Scott

#2 ·
There is a single bolt in the middle of the connector from the under-hood side. It is either 3/8" or 7/16". Loosen the bolt and unplug the connector. Then from under the dash, you'll find two long screws at opposite corners of the fuse block. Those can be removed and the fuse block / connector assembly will pull away from the firewall. There should be a decent amount of urethane sealer on it so it may feel like it is stuck at first. Keep it away from your carpet to prevent leaving a mark. The fuse block and connector can be separated by lifting the corner tabs if you need to. Be sure to have urethane or dum-dum sealer around the opening upon install to keep water from leaking in around the block when you reinstall it.

#3 ·
Here is a link to some shots of my bulkhead connector:

http://hometown.aol.com/krystaldesigns/pageA13.html

The center bolt on mine I believe was a 3/8" and to get the connector apart I had to do some turns on the bolt to loosen it and then wiggle the connector apart some and then unthread the bolt some more. On mine the center bolt was retained with a "C" clip. Both halves of the connector come out at one time.
be careful when you rerasseble it that all of the terminals are lined up before tighteneing the center bolt. If they are not lined up you can push a connector out of the plastic housing and then later have to troubleshoot an intermittent connection or an open circuit (been there/done that).
The reason I beleive the center bolt on mine had the "C" clip was to allow easier assembly on the line.
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.