Wiring MSD6AL For a 68 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 05, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage
Wiring MSD6AL For a 68 Camaro

Here I go again trying to avoid mistakes before I make them! Can anyone help me out as far as how they wired in a MSD 6 to their ignition system? I am about to install mine but I am terrified of burning up my new tic-tock-tach and I want to make sure I can get it working with the MSD. There are a number of different wiring diagrams outlining the installation which one has anyone followed, with success for a 68 with a factory tach?

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6%20series/6series.pdf

Thanks

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 05, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

Re: Wiring MSD6AL For a 68 Camaro

What type of distributor are you using?

Rick

L48 350, BTO 2004R Level 3, 12 Bolt 4.10
New Project:
1969 Shelby GT350 (pics soon)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 05, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

I have a MSD pro-billet 85551 that I was planning to use.

Steve

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 05, 08:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joe

Are you converting from points?

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 05, 10:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joe

When I converted my car from Points:

Heavy Red Wire from the MSD box on the junction block under the fender near the battery (constant 12 volts).
Heavy Black Wire to the Frame or Body (I have my box on the firewall and used the fender to body bolt).
Thin Red Wire to Ignition Switch wire.
Thin Orange Wire to Coil Positive.
Thin Black Wire to Coil Negative.
Harness from MSD Box (Green/Purple Wire) to MSD Distributor Harness.

If you are converting from Points you have to remove the wire that runs from your coil to starter solenoid. This wire provided a full 12 volts to the coil when the key was turned to start the car. If you don't disconnect this wire you will pop your MSD box the first time you start your car. It happened to me and resulted in a lot of screaming, cussing and more $$$.

Also your factory tach may not work with the MSD box and distributor and may require a Tach Adapter from MSD. The original tach is designed to work with Points where as the MSD distributor has a magnetic pick up.

Use the MSD instructions and reference my post if you get confused. I don't believe they say anything about tossing that coil/starter, but it's a must.

Good Luck!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 05, 01:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

here is what you are looking for:

http://www.msdignition.com/downld1.htm
i just installed a MSD 6 AL in my 69 camaro.
its a piece of cake.
And with the probillet distributor its even easier.
just use the supplied wire harness and run the big red and black wires directly to the battery.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 05, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Dawgs, are you using a factory tach?

Steve

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 05, 09:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

no AUTOMETER gage

but original DOES require a adapter harness from MSD

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 05, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Which style tach was original magnetic pickup distributor voltage triggered tach
or a current triggered tach to points/amplifier or magnetic pickup? The reason I ask is the install instructions for the adaptor I was told to use an 8920 has 2 different wiring schemes.

http://www.msdignition.com/downld3.htm
Thanks

Steve

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 05, 02:16 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

You can use the original tach, but it must be wired to the Msd6al box's tach output terminal, it DOES NOT get wired to the coil like the original points ignition system, in fact nothing goes to the coil + and - terminals except the orange and black from the Msd6al. If its wired to the coil it can ruin the tach. On original factory tachs in a factory gauge car, you only need to bypass the inline filter ( a small cylinder in the wire from the tach, looks like a condenser) Now I have heard (no first hand experience) that with repo tachs the filter is inside the tach, you would have to check with whoever you got the tach from or MSD on what to do in if the filter is inside the tach.

Greg U

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 05, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

OK now I am getting more confused...I have a repo tach are you saying that I do not need the 8920 tach adaptor? This is the return email that I got back from MSD:

Dear Sir,

For your stock tachometer to function correctly, you will need to
purchase the 8920 tach adapter. It would be cheaper if you get pricing
and availability through an MSD Dealer. Our prices are 30 to 40% higher
because we are contracted not to undersell our dealers. You can obtain a
list of dealers who can provide you with prices and availability off of
our website at www.msdignition.com under AUTOMOTIVE DEALERS.

Thanks,
MSD Tech

I would like to knoe what needs to be bypassed in the tach before installing it.

Thanks

Steve

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 05, 01:51 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

I'm only telling you what i know first hand. All Gm tachs are voltage triggered. Factory original GM tachs do not need a adapter, only to bypass the original inline filter. Repo tachs, if built exactly as the originals would not need one either. Just try wiring your tachs trigger wire to the msd6al tach output terminal. Even MSD tell you this. It can not damage anything. If the tach doesn't respond correctly, then you would need a adapter. All a adapter does is keep electrical noise out of the tach. From the Msd6al instructions, pg 7 ...........................

INOPERATIVE TACHOMETERS
If your tachometer fails to operate with the MSD installed you may need an MSD Tach
Adapter. Before getting an Adapter, try connecting your tachometer trigger wire to the tach
output terminal on the side of the MSD. This output produces a 12 volt, square wave (see
page 2). If the tach still does not operate, you will need a Tach Adapter. There are two Tach
Adapters:
PN 8920: If you are using the Magnetic Pickup connector (Green and Violet wires) to trigger
the MSD, you will need the PN 8920.

From the Msd6al instructions, pg 2 ...........................

TACHOMETERS
The MSD Ignition features a Tach Output Terminal on the
side of the unit. This terminal provides a trigger signal for
tachometers, a shift light or other add-on rpm activated
devices. The Tach Output Terminal produces a 12 volt square
wave signal with a 20% duty cycle.
Some vehicles with factory tachometers may require a Tach
Adapter to operate with the MSD. For more information on
Tachometers and MSD Tach Adapters, see the Tachometer
Section on page 7.
If your GM vehicle has an inline filter it may cause the tach to
drop to zero on acceleration. If this occurs, bypass the filter.

Msd 8920 tach adapter instructions http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/8920_frm22049.pdf

Msd 6al instructions http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6%20series/6series.pdf

If you need more help or have other questions post back.

Greg U

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 05, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Thanks for the direction Greg I will follow your suggestions before buying anything else. I plan on starting the engine next weekend and will let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode